Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:42 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I'll tell you why.

We came to Perth 8 years ago and couldn't believe our luck, cheap housing relative to wages, cost of living very reasonable. In fact, we only needed to count on one salary and have a much better lifestyle than UK with more cash left over at the end of the day, it was a no brainer for us and a no brainer for thousands of UK migrants who came over at the same time or before. Word spread back to UK and everyone started to think about migrating to Aus.

Trouble is, the economic environment has changed here massively in the last 2 years. Today, that swap is impossible unless you are cashed up and earning a great wage. Cost of living has skyrocketed, no question, our income has risen at and above the inflation rate and it we're seeing the effects.

When things aren't going so rosy and people start to struggle financially, they start noticing all the negatives in Aus, like sun too hot, locals rude, price of beans is high and realise what they had back home wasn't so bad after all.

I've noticed a massive shift in affordability and cost of living in Perth over the last 2 years and I'm betting on the fact that the party is over here for the medium term. Poms can't afford to come here anymore, there's no 'fat' in the move unless you are blinded by beaches, parks and surf and on't give a shit about the financials.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:44 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dream_Catcher
Hi

I've been browsing this forum a lot recently and I have to say that most posts are very negative about Australia or moving there (bad manners, expensive, too hot, noone outdoors etc).

So I wonder: are there any people, who are actually happy with their decision to move to Australia (from the UK)?
MAybe people who are unhappy in OZ are alot more likely to post on expat forums then those that are happy so it gives a false impression that most people don't like OZ. Theres 1.2 million British citizens living in OZ, l doubt so many would live here if OZ was a dump, most would go back home, but most decide to stay.

Last edited by mohogony; Apr 15th 2010 at 11:50 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:59 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
MAybe people who are unhappy in OZ are alot more likely to post on expat forums then those that are happy so it gives a false impression that most people don't like OZ. Theres 1.2 million British citizens living in OZ, l doubt so many would live here if OZ was a dump, most would go back home.

I freely admit an expat forum is a marvellous opportunity for someone who has contrary (not negative) views to speak their mind. There are many people who stay in Australia, for a variety of reasons, (including family, financial) even though they would rather go back to the UK. But, God help them if they say that to to an Australian. You tell an Aussie you'd rather be somewhere else and you're written off as a whinger... and told to "go home". The reaction is hostile and after a while you just don't say anything because you're stuck where you don't want to be. You know you don't belong and you know life will be worse if you speak up. Since this post is being put up during Aussie waking hours (while the UK sleeps) I expect there'll be anti-pommy responses. That's the norm, but I sleep better knowing there are many others who share my views... and the only reason I know they do is because of the personal truths expressed on this forum.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:08 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I never felt at home in the UK, but we were financially well off.

I feel at home in Australia , but financially insecure (despite earning more than $2.30 for every pound we earned in the UK). With this people appear to be saying to go back to the UK.

I'm sure there are others that must feel the same who have migrated in the last 18 months?

[sorry for any negative on my behalf ]
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Satch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to allSatch_Boogie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
It's a great forum, but I believe it would be ill advised to base a decision for a permanent move to Aus on it.

Remember, every single thread/post in here is entirely subjective in one form or another.

You could research the subject to death, come out on an advance reccie, even have friends or family already here to provide inputs, but.....at the end of it all, you will only truly find out if the move works for you or not by actually moving here and giving it a red hot go for at least 3 years.

It's the journey that's important, not the destination.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for this. My wife and eldest child have been expats several times and are expats now living in the UK and they are ready for a change. In fact, so am I. I know it won't be a holiday and will still be bloody hard work every day but I still think the climate has to be a lot better than what we are have been experiencing here.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I disagree, I think you get a good mix of views here. It wouldn't be a good thing if everyone put a positive spin on everything, and there wasn't genuine critical analysis happening.

Just because some complain about things doesn't mean they hate the place and regret coming to Australia. Often the only things worth commenting on are the things you're not 100% happy about, as you're usually too busy enjoying the other stuff to talk about it.

From our point of view we're really happy, we want to truely settle here, but the wife seems to think that means buying a house, only I don't want to sell my soul to the devil.

Finally, I'm a programmer - I have never seen or written a perfect program - it would be the beginning of the end if I did.
I agree, but I was only referring to the "minority that have no intention of assisting anyone"

A balanced view from both sides is perfect, as long as it is realistic, and, as you say "genuine", and most 'posters' are.

Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
and those that went home.
All 600 of the 21,545 that arrived in 2008/09 and probably about 1,100 of the 23,236 that arrrived in 2007/08.

Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:32 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

The pissed off are always the most vocal cos they're the most bitter and twisted with nothing better to do with their time I used this forum a lot while still in UK and used to get fed up with all the ranting and negativity but hey it passed the long cold dark skint nights of waiting for visa and saving up. Plus I picked up some useful info along the way and had a few good debates too. Over a year later and we have been here almost 5 months and I very rarely have a look. Mostly too busy enjoying actually living it to bother about writing about it I guess, and tbh I have found it soooo depressing on the occasions when I do pop in to see the very same people ranting about the very same things they were back then, just with a few 1000 more (probably mostly identical) posts to their name *yawn* Some people seem to have a ridiculous tendancy to generalise - Australia or Australians are all like this or all like that yadda yadda, whereas in reality how it works for you when you are actually here depends on so many different factors like where you live and who you know and what type of person you are. These days I use the forum only if I have a concrete question and it's been really helpful in that respect, and now and then I check back in now to see if anyone has posted any questions about living in Coffs Harbour that I can answer. It's a shame that some people get put off the whole process or the whole country because of the ravings of a minority. Don't be! And if you're looking for someone to tell you what to do, emigrate or not, sell the house or not, move to Adelaide or not, don't bother cos the only person that can answer those questions is you. At the end of the day you will always find someone who disagrees with you and you'll always find someone who agrees with you. Posting questions like thaht here probably just causes more confusion than anything else!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:50 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
The pissed off are always the most vocal cos they're the most bitter and twisted with nothing better to do with their time I used this forum a lot while still in UK and used to get fed up with all the ranting and negativity but hey it passed the long cold dark skint nights of waiting for visa and saving up. Plus I picked up some useful info along the way and had a few good debates too. Over a year later and we have been here almost 5 months and I very rarely have a look. Mostly too busy enjoying actually living it to bother about writing about it I guess, and tbh I have found it soooo depressing on the occasions when I do pop in to see the very same people ranting about the very same things they were back then, just with a few 1000 more (probably mostly identical) posts to their name *yawn* Some people seem to have a ridiculous tendancy to generalise - Australia or Australians are all like this or all like that yadda yadda, whereas in reality how it works for you when you are actually here depends on so many different factors like where you live and who you know and what type of person you are. These days I use the forum only if I have a concrete question and it's been really helpful in that respect, and now and then I check back in now to see if anyone has posted any questions about living in Coffs Harbour that I can answer. It's a shame that some people get put off the whole process or the whole country because of the ravings of a minority. Don't be! And if you're looking for someone to tell you what to do, emigrate or not, sell the house or not, move to Adelaide or not, don't bother cos the only person that can answer those questions is you. At the end of the day you will always find someone who disagrees with you and you'll always find someone who agrees with you. Posting questions like thaht here probably just causes more confusion than anything else!
Nice post PamE.

A tip for those still in the UK in interpreting this forum ...
As others have said, it's always good to know both the pros and cons of life here, but have a look at the post history of some members before taking it all to heart.
Do yourself a favour and ignore the ones on a one track agenda, obsessively negative, and all doom and gloom ... they're fairly easy to spot.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Nice post PamE.

A tip for those still in the UK in interpreting this forum ...
As others have said, it's always good to know both the pros and cons of life here, but have a look at the post history of some members before taking it all to heart.
Do yourself a favour and ignore the ones on a one track agenda, obsessively negative, and all doom and gloom ... they're fairly easy to spot.
I could list them if you like!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
Nah! Be fair let people make their own mind up, what one person sees as a negative another sees as a positive.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny, I was going to do a list of all the posters who come across as sex starved.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pomtastic
That's funny, I was going to do a list of all the posters who come across as sex starved.
cool, put me in there!!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

cool, put me in there!!
Haven't you moved past a snog?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by pproehann
Haven't you moved past a snog?
A gentleman never reveals.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.