Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

Old May 9th 2010, 11:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Lots of Depressing and Negative Posts ...

From the Documentary "Ten Pound Poms"

Over one quarter of the 'Ten Pound Poms' fled home, escaping 'Pommy bashing' and resentment from Australians for 'job stealing', and craving the hustle and bustle of Europe.

But nearly half of the 250,000 Brits who returned to the UK sailed back to Australia again after reassessing England, thus becoming known as the "Boomerang Poms".

Many learnt to appreciate the space, good food, healthy lifestyle and free tertiary educational opportunities in Australia - a brand new country where they could be a completely different person in a class-free society.

Old May 9th 2010, 11:32 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mark wool
spoke to a £10 pound pom the other day and he said the only reason he never went back was cause he had no money. It makes me think how many brits are stuck here now because they dont have the money to return.
or stubborn. I spoke to a Welsh couple who've been he since the 60's. They would like to go back, but because their family back home said "you'll be back one day" before they left, that's the only reason they won't go back.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You chucked those last two lines in yourself didnt you?

Old May 9th 2010, 11:35 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

lol, they should have spoke to the ones I bumped into when I got here. Didn't exactly sell the place. Made us feel like we were wrong in coming out here - talk about putting a dampener on things.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
lol, they should have spoke to the ones I bumped into when I got here. Didn't exactly sell the place. Made us feel like we were wrong in coming out here - talk about putting a dampener on things.
But you did it anyway and youre here now.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:40 am
Pie Eater

The statistics at best are still more than 1 in 8 returning for good. Higher than I'd expect considering the effort they made to get here.
Old May 9th 2010, 11:45 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
But you did it anyway and youre here now.
Oh yeah. I'm stubborn.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
The statistics at best are still more than 1 in 8 returning for good. Higher than I'd expect considering the effort they made to get here.
Effort ? They paid £10 and had a 7 week cruise holiday to get here ....
My sister was a £10 pom. One of the happy ones.

The numbers returning are not really surprising, there are many reasons for returning, and a feeling of being homesick is a big one. But then after a few years in a new place, it may become home without realising it, and homesickness becomes a problem, once they return to their old home.

To me it is surprising that only about 1 in 10 actually return within the first 5 years.

But then, I have never lived in one place more than about 3 years, as I have always been looking for something different. But I seem to have settled here, since 2003 ! 7 years now

Old May 9th 2010, 5:53 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

No matter what the negative posters say the facts show that the majority of British immigrants are glad they moved to OZ and don't want to go back.

Last edited by mohogony; May 9th 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old May 9th 2010, 10:18 pm
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

OMG this is the kind of crap that reminds me why I sometimes don't come on here for months at a time
Old May 9th 2010, 11:22 pm
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by PamE
OMG this is the kind of crap that reminds me why I sometimes don't come on here for months at a time
Have you nothing positive to say?
Old May 9th 2010, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
No matter what the negative posters say the facts show that the majority of British immigrants are glad they moved to OZ and don't want to go back.
How about the immigrants where you came from?. What do they think?
Old May 10th 2010, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
There are no statistics on how glad people are who live here. Just because they stay here doesn’t mean they are happy or glad to be here, many don’t like it here, don’t want to be here and are miserable, but can’t leave for a number of reasons.

Just because someone lives in a country and stays doesn’t mean they are happy or glad, by your logic then over 62 million people must be happy living in the UK, while only 22 million are happy living in Australia.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by canadaeh
There are no statistics on how glad people are who live here.
I have some:
25.23% not happy with their move from UK to Australia. Only from a sample of 111 though.

This is also most probably for recent arrivals, and I can imagine that the currency conversion rates may have caused many people a problem recently.

People who have been here longer 'may' be a different percentage, although recent arrivals figure are more relevant to people now considering the move.

Old May 10th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadaeh
There are no statistics on how glad people are who live here. Just because they stay here doesn’t mean they are happy or glad to be here, many don’t like it here, don’t want to be here and are miserable, but can’t leave for a number of reasons.

Just because someone lives in a country and stays doesn’t mean they are happy or glad, by your logic then over 62 million people must be happy living in the UK, while only 22 million are happy living in Australia.
exactly i know a few poms here and they dont say they are unhappy, but when you ask how they are and they reply oh yeah livin the dream i get the feelin that they are not as made up as u would think. I think the problem is that unless they came here with good money, have made money on property or have landed well paid jobs they cant afford to ship a chip fork back let alone furniture, pets or themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.