Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lota area in Brisbane QLD

Lota area in Brisbane QLD

Old May 26th 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lota area in Brisbane QLD

We have just been accepted on a property in lota. It is in richard street opposite lota school. Not as big as we wanted but modern and clean and its only for 6 months till we buy. Does anyone know the area before we pay over monies looks ok to us not quite manly west or wynnum west where we wanted but nothing decent or well priced turned up so looks like lota. Would appreciate any info on area.
regards
mark, jo and georgia
Old May 26th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Lota area in Brisbane QLD

Originally Posted by greggsy
We have just been accepted on a property in lota. It is in richard street opposite lota school. Not as big as we wanted but modern and clean and its only for 6 months till we buy. Does anyone know the area before we pay over monies looks ok to us not quite manly west or wynnum west where we wanted but nothing decent or well priced turned up so looks like lota. Would appreciate any info on area.
regards
mark, jo and georgia
Only ever been through the train station on the way to work, I have been told that it's quite a rough area but no 1st hand experience (sorry!) I have also been told this about wynnum, maybe you should pm nrs dagboy she seem to know most areas in Bayside.

sorry I was not more help!
Old May 26th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy
regards
mark, jo and georgia
'Brisben' is supposed to be moving to Lota, he has family there. No doubt he will reply when he sees the thread title.
Old May 26th 2006, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wynnum, Manly and Lota are so close to each other that unless you are a local, you probably wouldn't notice where one area starts and the other finishes. The foreshore starts at Wynnum, then as you go further on you get to Manly and then further still Lota. The foreshore is made up of what I would consider as mud flats rather than sand.

Wynnum has a small town centre which to most of us from UK has more of a villagy feel to it than a town centre feel [very laid back]. The stores, cafes, library, job centre, pubs, real estates etc are mainly on Bay terrace which is basically a hill overlooking the foreshore, although there is a fish and chip shop and a curry restaurant and a tavern / pub on the foreshore, away from Bay Terrace.

Manly is a bit further on and it has a high street with two main pubs and a few restaurants and shops including a supermarket, bakers etc. Manly also has a marina and you can eat at the various cafes /restaurants overlooking the marina harbour. There is also a Sunday market in Manly.

Lota is a bit further on still. Lota has the odd store but from what I've seen it doesn't have the same shopping facilities as Wynnum or Manly, however you can literally get from Lota, through Manly to Wynnum in 5/10 mins in the car so my point is you are not far away from anything you need.

There are train stations is Wynnum, Manly and Lota and the train line goes as far as Cleveland one way or right to Brisbane city centre the other way [about 40 mins on train]. There are also buses available.

The houses in Wynnum and Manly are more or less the same ie there are some new and some old, some run down, some lovely...and there is very little difference between the two areas, regardless as to the shite sprouted on here at times. The only difference is Manly has a harbour and restaurants overlooking the harbour, and Wynnum doesn't as Wynnum is situated on the top of a hill....but then Manly is also offset by two rowdy pubs on the high street ...so in other words nowhere is perfect. Lota on the other hand has a lot more older style houses as I think it's a development area and I have seen new houses being built so it looks up and coming and the place to start buying. I believe though that Lota has more swampy areas so there always seems to be more mozzies there in summer. Lota also has the local emergency hospital situated nearby [a place that looks a bit like the country practice....LOL]

There is very little difference in the three areas except Manly has a nice marina, Wynnum has more choice of shops and has a wading pool and Lota is fairly cheap to buy houses whilst it is still growing. All the houses are more or less the same if you take a look around and have a less superficial look. All the houses and streets that are behind the foreshore/high streets have a mixture of good / not so good houses as is the same in most areas really. At the end of the day these areas are older and more established than say places like Wellington point. Already I have seen in two years where the older generation is dying, their houses are being pulled down and the land sold for a premium. New houses are slowly replacing the old.

There is also a golf course, dog parks, BBQ areas, shops and everything you could wish for on a small scale but there are also big development plans ahead too. From the plans I've seen so far, there are plans to make a central station exchange and pedestrianised alfresco cafe areas in Wynnum central. There are also plans for making some quite radical changes to the main centre to update cafe, restaurant and shopping facilities and there is also talk about making some restaurants available to overlook Wynnum foreshore as the foreshore is very under utilised at the moment. The foreshore also has children's play areas and Wynnum foreshore has a wading pool for kids to use. You may find proposed plans on a Brisbane council site or take a look at the local Wynnum /Manly site to see if there is anything on here www.wynnummanly.com.au

Personally I like this area and I think all three have something to offer. The three areas are so close to each other that they compliment each others strengths and weaknesses and the great thing is they have easily accessible amenities and are a great centre point for getting to the city, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine coast. Already these areas are becoming more sought after, especially once the new plans materialise.

In summary the best advice I can give is to go see for yourself as everyone has a different idea of what they want and what they like. Don't believe everything you read on here, and that includes my post. Everyone sees something different.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Wynnum, Manly and Lota are so close to each other that unless you are a local, you probably wouldn't notice where one area starts and the other finishes. The foreshore starts at Wynnum, then as you go further on you get to Manly and then further still Lota. The foreshore is made up of what I would consider as mud flats rather than sand.

Wynnum has a small town centre which to most of us from UK has more of a villagy feel to it than a town centre feel [very laid back]. The stores, cafes, library, job centre, pubs, real estates etc are mainly on Bay terrace which is basically a hill overlooking the foreshore, although there is a fish and chip shop and a curry restaurant and a tavern / pub on the foreshore, away from Bay Terrace.

Manly is a bit further on and it has a high street with two main pubs and a few restaurants and shops including a supermarket, bakers etc. Manly also has a marina and you can eat at the various cafes /restaurants overlooking the marina harbour. There is also a Sunday market in Manly.

Lota is a bit further on still. Lota has the odd store but from what I've seen it doesn't have the same shopping facilities as Wynnum or Manly, however you can literally get from Lota, through Manly to Wynnum in 5/10 mins in the car so my point is you are not far away from anything you need.

There are train stations is Wynnum, Manly and Lota and the train line goes as far as Cleveland one way or right to Brisbane city centre the other way [about 40 mins on train]. There are also buses available.

The houses in Wynnum and Manly are more or less the same ie there are some new and some old, some run down, some lovely...and there is very little difference between the two areas, regardless as to the shite sprouted on here at times. The only difference is Manly has a harbour and restaurants overlooking the harbour, and Wynnum doesn't as Wynnum is situated on the top of a hill....but then Manly is also offset by two rowdy pubs on the high street ...so in other words nowhere is perfect. Lota on the other hand has a lot more older style houses as I think it's a development area and I have seen new houses being built so it looks up and coming and the place to start buying. I believe though that Lota has more swampy areas so there always seems to be more mozzies there in summer. Lota also has the local emergency hospital situated nearby [a place that looks a bit like the country practice....LOL]

There is very little difference in the three areas except Manly has a nice marina, Wynnum has more choice of shops and has a wading pool and Lota is fairly cheap to buy houses whilst it is still growing. All the houses are more or less the same if you take a look around and have a less superficial look. All the houses and streets that are behind the foreshore/high streets have a mixture of good / not so good houses as is the same in most areas really. At the end of the day these areas are older and more established than say places like Wellington point. Already I have seen in two years where the older generation is dying, their houses are being pulled down and the land sold for a premium. New houses are slowly replacing the old.

There is also a golf course, dog parks, BBQ areas, shops and everything you could wish for on a small scale but there are also big development plans ahead too. From the plans I've seen so far, there are plans to make a central station exchange and pedestrianised alfresco cafe areas in Wynnum central. There are also plans for making some quite radical changes to the main centre to update cafe, restaurant and shopping facilities and there is also talk about making some restaurants available to overlook Wynnum foreshore as the foreshore is very under utilised at the moment. The foreshore also has children's play areas and Wynnum foreshore has a wading pool for kids to use. You may find proposed plans on a Brisbane council site or take a look at the local Wynnum /Manly site to see if there is anything on here www.wynnummanly.com.au

Personally I like this area and I think all three have something to offer. The three areas are so close to each other that they compliment each others strengths and weaknesses and the great thing is they have easily accessible amenities and are a great centre point for getting to the city, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine coast. Already these areas are becoming more sought after, especially once the new plans materialise.

In summary the best advice I can give is to go see for yourself as everyone has a different idea of what they want and what they like. Don't believe everything you read on here, and that includes my post. Everyone sees something different.
Great post, very informative
Old May 26th 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks that was one hell of a reply great info we are going back down again today think we will not take the house as it is a bit on the small side thanks again for info
Old May 27th 2006, 9:46 am
Loving the Sunshine

anewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud ofanewlife has much to be proud of

Great post, thanks

We have a house to rent in Manly West and will be there August 30th/31st and to read about the area from someone who knows is good
Old May 27th 2006, 8:41 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the thanks guys.

My pleasure
Old Aug 1st 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

JosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud ofJosieJ has much to be proud of

Absolutely fab post - thank you - very informative and gives me areas to look at on the internet in preperation! Karma sent! x