Losing Accent

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:56 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing Accent

Originally Posted by sasbear
where in Yorkshire?
I'm originally from Redcar, sasbear, but moved to Leeds when I was 18 and there 20 years. People in Leeds thought I was a Geordie, and eventually people in Redcar said I had a funny accent.

My husband's from Swindon (com-biyne arrrvesterrrr), I've just spent six years in Singapore mixing with mainly Aussies and Kiwis - there's no hope for my accent! I'm having to lose the Singlish too. (I'm also having to relearn that the 1st floor is not on the ground but that's another issue entirely.)

I was once on holiday in the Canaries and asked by a Welsh bloke whereabouts in Wales I was from (I'd never been), so I think I subconsciously mimic people.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stariston
Do you want an Aussie twang or are you proud of your Accent,
It amazes me how quick migrants lose there accent
Then others unwittingly keep a strong Uk local ones
Personally i think some people put a lot of it on ,more so when returning
to uk .
My accent feels like it sometimes changes. I work with Aussie kids and sometimes I do find myself saying something that has a bit of a twang.

I don't know what it is about working with the kids that brings it on. Perhaps so they understand what I am saying. I don't have a regional UK accent so think that makes a difference. My best friend from here is from Northern England and I find myself sometimes saying her hubbies name in the way that she says it. After all there is now 3 ways to say his name.

I find that if I am asked in subway if I want yoghurt or cookies I repeat back yo gert because to say it UK way might come across a bit funny

I don't particularly like the Aussie accent but know the kids will probably sound completely different to us even if we do end up with a slight twang.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:45 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Someone told me if you move to a new country before the age of 11 you adopt the new accent...after the age of 11 you probably won't...maybe an odd twang here and there. We moved to the US 5 weeks after my daughter's 11th birthday...she is now 23...depending who she's talking to she can slip from one accent to the other.

I overheard a lady in a store speaking with a broad Yorkshire accent. I asked if she was in the US on vacation...she said 'No love I've lived here for over 40 years'.
Well from my experience it's more like 16 or thereabouts.

My 2 were 15 & 13 when we got here, and 2 years later they both have full Aussie accents. As I said earlier, my sons boss only realised he was a Pom after I phoned her and she heard MY accent. Till then she thought he was an Aussie!

I've met heaps of people that were adults when they arrived, been here for yonks, and still have their Pom / Scottish accents.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

My accent is a mish mash, one of the guys at work picked up on my Westcountry 'twang' immediately.

Someone said to me that the Southern accent is a 'blank canvas' for picking up accents.

I have spoken to Brits at work who proudly claim that they have not picked up an Aussie accent and anyone that has is putting it on. They were quite dismayed when I told them that to me, they had a slight Aussie accent.

You might not think that you have changed but as someone said, others will pick up on the fact that you have - no matter how small that change.

We have a girl from Liverpool working in our office and she has an Aussie twang to her accent yet when she is pissed, her original accent comes back stronger than ever.

I was making a video diary for my Dad last week and when I played it back, I noticed myself sounding slightly Aussie in certain words. But what is really funny is that my Devonshire accent is still quite prominent when I say certain things - especially when I get together with one of my BE friends - Streaks

My Dad said I sound a bit different although to me, I think I sound the same. And even more strange, Mr PP who has his own accent of course with his broken English, is picking up this accent far more than he ever did in England.

In my department, I work with Aussies and the same for Mr PP - so I guess we might pick it up more, who knows?

I am fiercely proud of my accent and don't realise that it may be changing - my job involves alot of telephone work and the people that I communicate with are Australian so a large part of my job involves listening to a strong accent.

Oh yes, learning the new words is fun - I never knew that a toilet is sometimes referred to as a 'thunderbox' and I so love the word 'bashing' instead of 'assault'.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jun 22nd 2008 at 2:56 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 2:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Well from my experience it's more like 16 or thereabouts.

My 2 were 15 & 13 when we got here, and 2 years later they both have full Aussie accents. As I said earlier, my sons boss only realised he was a Pom after I phoned her and she heard MY accent. Till then she thought he was an Aussie!

I've met heaps of people that were adults when they arrived, been here for yonks, and still have their Pom / Scottish accents.
Paul, when you and I went for that drink I noticed in certain words you had a slight accent.

The more you chatted to me it sort of disappeared but it was there - and it actually sounded quite cute.

God that seems yonks ago now.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh yes, learning the new words is fun - I never knew that a toilet is sometimes referred to as a 'thunderbox' and I so love the word 'bashing' instead of 'assault'.
Bashing is used loads in the UK (gay bashing most often). I have heared people use thunderbox in the UK too.
I actually can't think of too many things here which I had not heared in the UK.
Slicker licker for traffic walden. There have been a couple of others which I can't remember. I did get confused when someone told me my coat was specky lol.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:42 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I'll lose my accent - just learn to speak more slowly. Thought that my son would come from school sounding australian but it seems that his pals are picking up the Scots accent instead!
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

After more than three and a half decades here in Australia I still sound like I got off the boat yesterday .....erm, I mean 'plane.
Well at least I think I do, although I have forgotten a lot of English words
Myself and OH still talk in the old St.Helens dialect when we are alone
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I am musical(singer) and I find that within 5 minutes I am unconsciously reflecting lilt and inflections in speech - yet when I have to put on a scottish accent for example, my OH says it goes pakistani after a minute!!! (I just can't do Scottish- sometimes happens to Manc/Scouse/Welsh too)
I reckon that I am a natural mimic as long as I am surrounded by the subjects and not having to do it with no input.
Caroline

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jun 22nd 2008 at 5:54 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

We have had Aussies ask if we come from Ireland, Germany and Norway, I mean, come on, when does a pommie accent sound like Norwegian
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul, when you and I went for that drink I noticed in certain words you had a slight accent.

The more you chatted to me it sort of disappeared but it was there - and it actually sounded quite cute.

God that seems yonks ago now.
Fair dinkum! ...
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed that talking to what sound like Ozzie people their accents suddenly shift to English once they hear yours. One lad in a supermarket was even calling hubbie guv, in strong London accent, which had been as ozzie as anyone when he started talking lol.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

LauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
I think that certain people have this unwitting knack of picking up on accents and quickly mimicking them. My older sister used to do it when we went on holiday with my parents when we were kids and it used to annoy the living daylights out of me as I thought she was putting it on, but to be honest I don't even think she knew she was doing it!!!!!! We've been here 13 months and to be honest people still comment every day on my scottish accent, somehow don't think I'll ever lose it but I'm 34 and don't event hear myself as having an accent but obviously do so probably unlikely to change. To be honest I struggle sometimes to tell the difference between english and australian accents . Maybe its just me but find that the way they preonounce certain words to be really similar and have got mixed up a couple of times
Nikki, I have the same problem with telling the difference between English and Australian accents. It doesn't happen all the time but it must be certain English accents - I think south east England is the one that fools me.
It's very early days for us (we've only been here 3 months) but my 14 yr old son is coming home from school sounding more Scottish than he did in Scotland! I think he is getting alot of positive attention from the kids at school because of his accent.
Obviously my accent is as Scottish as ever though I dont think I have an accent! It really stood out today though when I was in a shop and I asked the guy behind the counter about something. Everyone in the shop stopped what they were doing and turned around to look at me as if I had 2 heads! That'll take some getting used to.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraV
Nikki, I have the same problem with telling the difference between English and Australian accents. It doesn't happen all the time but it must be certain English accents - I think south east England is the one that fools me.
I find that too. More common ground than people realise. I've heard an English accent pricked my ears up then realised it wasn't. In Melbourne people can be quite clipped and well spoken.

Someone said to me that the Southern accent is a 'blank canvas' for picking up accents.

You might not think that you have changed but as someone said, others will pick up on the fact that you have - no matter how small that change.
Indeed. I can't work out how English people can physically get their accents sometimes. They sound bizarre now.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

scottishlass is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't even left the UK yet and already I get asked if I'm Australian! I live with an Aussie so I must have picked up some of it...

I moved to Scotland when I was 7 and can go from west country to Glaswegian with ease!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.