Losing Accent

Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Losing Accent

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I'd quite like an Aussie accent, but it aint gonna happen. My London accent is spotted all the time and I can't shift it! ...

On the other side the kids both have full Aussie accents. My daughter tried to hold onto her London accent but couldn't.

I spoke to my son's boss recently on the phone and when she got off asked him if he was a Pom as she didn't know from his accent.

I think if you arrive here 16 and under you stand a good chance of getting it, but anything after and you're stuck with what you got!

When I speak to family back home they say I still sound NOTHING like an Aussie! ...
My daughter (16) tried to fit in and changed her accent, but now she's back in UK and is Yorkshire as ever

I suppose most can try to change it, but like you, mine just won't shift..i hate my accent.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

the ozzie accent is supposed to be mix of South African and London accent so maybe its easier to loose your accent if your English.

I have many irish and scottish friends who have been in England since they were really young and they still have very strong accents

Maybe it depends on who you spend alot of time with

Can't see my husband ever loosing his brummie accent its,very strong infact sometimes he sounds borderline black country lol
Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I hear myself sounding Aussie but to others I don't. The girls sound Aussie to me but my husband sounds as English as ever although last time my sister spoke to him on the phone she reckoned he sounded the most Australian of all of us Be interesting to hear what the Brits think when we get back next week. I must remember that trousers are trousers not pants or I might get some funny looks
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:40 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I am a kiwi and moved to Australia and lost my kiwi accent fairly quickly (I was 19). I moved to UK when 24 and spent about a year in US and another in Canada, so have been away from Australia for 6 years, but never managed to lose the Aussie sound in me. It did tone down a bit and I did pick up local sayings (which I found would be said with a more local accent) but find it strange that I still sound Australian before anything else.

I have been back for two weeks and people seem to think I am local still.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

People still recognise my Manchester accent despite having left the place 40 years ago! My OH gets annoyed because his (similar) accent disappeared years ago and left him 'anonymous'. I seem to remember reading that women tend to hang onto accents longer than men, or men are more likely to adapt to the local habits more easily. We've both picked up the local idiom, just with different accents.

We have a friend who accumulated accents. He started life Scottish, moved to Yorkshire (school days), then Liverpool (uni), then started a career of working overseas, married an Irish woman then spent a few years in Aus. Next they moved to Houston and are toying with the idea of retiring to NZ.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I haven't lived in the UK for 6 years but moved to Oz just 7 weeks ago. I think my Yorkshire accent is going to get stronger as my best friend has been here ten years and speaks it as broadly as ever.

where in Yorkshire?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

This is something I am quite interested to watch to see what happens when we move over there. We expect our two yung boys (aged 4 and 2) to grow up with Aussie accents. I am originally a Geordie but most people think I'm from Norwich or Somerset - strange, as I have lived in Newport Pagnell (Bucks) since I was 3 . However, my Brother and Mam still have strong Geordie accents. My Dad who has lived in Melbourne for nearly 25 years still sounds quite Geordie yet my Step Mum (from Essex) sounds a bit more Aussie these days.

There's still hints to my Geordie accent though, for example, I still say Path and Grass rather than Parth and Grarse!!

Guess I'll have to let you all know in a year or two...

Colin
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I must remember that trousers are trousers not pants or I might get some funny looks
I had big problems when moving to Manchester as in my mind pants are underwear, but everyone there meant trousers. You should have seen my Mum's face when my Mancunian husband said 'look, I have a big hole in my pants!'. LOL.

I am from Cambridge and have always even there had people ask me if I was Australian, although I don't think I sound Australian. I think it must be from watching far too much Neighbours and Home and Away from a young age lol. I have only had two ozzies think I was Australian since coming here in Feb, so can't be that bad.

After 4.5 years living in Manchester I managed to keep my accent, but noticed a couple of words beginning to change before I left. I would predict that I will pick up far more of the ozzie accent as it is so much closer to my own than the Manchester accent. Hubbie I can't see ever picking it up ever.

Hubbie works on a phone line and gets at least one person a day here asking what part of Scotland he is from, which I find halerious. He has never even stepped foot in Scotland. This doesn't seem to be just Ozzies though, he has been asked the same by Americans and Canadians. Especially funny as it is such a strong Manc accent and not scottish sounding at all.

I actually don't like having a different accent to everyone. Sounds strange, but I think it is because there are so many English people here. In Manchester I didn't hear anywhere near the amount of southern English accents as I do here. If it were just me I would be quite happy, but as there are so many poms I think I would prefer to sound ozzie. I would feel less of an imposter when I can eventually say I am Australian.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:03 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bithbheo
when folk in UK talk to me on the phone always get told i sound like an aussie...but when I talk to aussie's they always pick up my English accent...also find that the further north and west parts of the Uk you come from the less you pick up the aussie twang. Also think a lot of Brits don't realise they are getting an aussie lilt to their voices...none of us sound how we think we do most of the time...just got to listen to ourselves on a dvd/video to hear that
That's really spooky as this is almost to the word what I would have written!

I too am Australian sounding when talking to the U.K and 'what part of England are you from' when speaking with Australians . My Mum sounds very 'London' nowdays on the phone too

Great minds think alike eh?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
Do you want an Aussie twang or are you proud of your Accent,
It amazes me how quick migrants lose there accent
Then others unwittingly keep a strong Uk local ones
Personally i think some people put a lot of it on ,more so when returning
to uk .
My Grans been in Aus 40 plus years, still sounds very Irish, though have to say she takes on the Dame Edna strine once back in the UK, was a total shock first time I went to Aus and heard her speak in her usual accent
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Someone once told me that whether or not you keep your accent intact is all down to whether or not you're musical. If you have a natural ear for music, you're more likely to pick up accents, whereas if you're tone deaf, you'll retain your native accent. Interesting to know if any ex-pats (musical or not!) can prove this theory!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

That one made me laugh. As I said, I'm a geordie originally nut have lived in Newport Pagnell since I was 3 (with a 2 year stint back up north) and this combination has left me sounding like I'm from the west country. However, to disprove your theory - my Wife will be the first to tell you I am completely tone deaf. Perhaps the theory is actually the other way round???

Colin
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Someone told me if you move to a new country before the age of 11 you adopt the new accent...after the age of 11 you probably won't...maybe an odd twang here and there. We moved to the US 5 weeks after my daughter's 11th birthday...she is now 23...depending who she's talking to she can slip from one accent to the other.

I overheard a lady in a store speaking with a broad Yorkshire accent. I asked if she was in the US on vacation...she said 'No love I've lived here for over 40 years'.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Musical Ability and Accents
Yes, maybe it is the other way round! If anybody else posts with their experience, maybe'll build up some "evidence" to prove it one way or the other!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Well My OH wasent in Australia for 25 years (Born out Here!!) on holiday in Kos whilst ordering in a Bar the greek Australian behind the bar asked him where in Australia he was from!!!!!!!

The kids had dropped the South midlands accent very quickly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.