Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lorry driving in Oz?

Lorry driving in Oz?

Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:22 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: Lorry driving in Oz?

Originally Posted by The Hun
Does anyone know for sure whether a UK HGV licence transfers to QLD licence? Got my class 1 and was hoping to do a bit when i get over in September!

Hi Hun,

I'm by no means an authority on this but from what I can glean - in QLD, you need to first sit a theory test. Standard stuff for car license with some extra truck type questions thrown in and then apparently there's some kind of a 'reverse around a car-park' type of test....

Sure it won't be that difficult!!

Have cheked out the going rates salary wise and it appears that the Aussies are pretty much on a par with us drivers over here, however they seem to be very fond of the term 'casual' so imagine a full time job would be harder to find. S'ok though if you dont mind working 'agency style'...and driving for lots of different firms.

Good luck,

Rob
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
No, actually quite a realistic dream!!

Yes, I will need experience granted, but being the 'educated person' that I am, realise that this can only be a good thing!

Was just wondering how many more of my threads you intend to hijack after I corrected your rather 'un-educated' comments elsewhere earlier?
Hijack, thought this was an open forum, hmmm. Don,t know if your the rules are the same oz wide, but I was told that Victoria allows you to swap your British HGV for the oz equivalent, same as the normal driving licence.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 9:41 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno what its like now or if this helps at all, but 9 years ago our drivers used to take home $800-$900 after tax for a trip Bris->Melb return.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:13 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Guys,

I work in construction, not in transport. However we have just some some work on depots for Linfox, who are huge over here. Every highway you look at you see trucks of various sizes of theirs. Just checked their website www.linfox.com and they are advertising for drivers on there. Might be worth sending them an email???

Jonboy