Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'Looksee' in Perth - thoughts

'Looksee' in Perth - thoughts

Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default 'Looksee' in Perth - thoughts

Arrived from KL on Friday afternoon, me and the 4 kids (7, 5, 3 and 1) Flight with Malaysian was great and the kids were brilliant too. Got through customs and immigration in around 30 minutes. The taxi to the apartment (Grand Medina) was just over $50 as we had 5 people and suitcases and took around 30 minutes. Checked in, got some food in the restaurant below the apartments and then put the kids to bed. I spent the rest of the evening looking for rentals on the internet ($24.95 for 24 hours )

Hired a car with Sat Nav, never used it before, so took about 30 minutes to work out how to use it, meanwhile the kids were screaming and fighting in the back, but isn't it wonderful! Phoned OH in KL and told him to get one! Then we went around some of the suburbs looking at the houses - couldn't believe what dumps they were (and we have a good allowance!).

The driving here is fantastic, people stop at red lights and there are hardly any motorbikes around. People indicate when they are turning and leave plenty of room - didn't come across any speeding lunatics and it was all very orderly and calm - a very welcome change to what I'm used to in KL, where anything goes.

Went to Kings Park and the kids loved it, facilities are great and the food in the restaurants was tasty. It was funny to be in the CBD at the weekend and everything was closed by 6pm but it's something I hope to get used to very quickly.

On Monday I visited a couple of schools in the suburbs I liked and was quite pleased with them, a wide range of nationalities and seems to be a pretty transient population, something my kids are used to.

After having initial problems with Westpac when trying to open an account, everything is sorted and funds have been transferred in with no problems.

Went to see the John Hughes car place, it is vast! Pretty much decided on a Toyota Kluger, although preferably not in white! but we'll have to see what OH says. Tried to get other recommendations for second-hand car showrooms but most said that Scarborough Beach Road in Osborne Park was a good place to start. Didn't have enough time to get there to check it out.

I think we may have found a house today so need to see about applications and stuff tomorrow and then it's back to KL in the afternoon. The packers arrive on Friday - and I haven't done a thing yet so could be interesting.

Arriving in Perth on Aug 4th and cannot wait!

Galba