Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking for work in Perth (whilst on hol)

Looking for work in Perth (whilst on hol)

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default Looking for work in Perth (whilst on hol)

Hey....we will be in Perth in a weeks time. Does anyone have any tips on looking for work or approaching companies? Paul is a production manager in the manufacturing industry and has a master's degree in business management and is looking for a permanent contract....we have a PR visa.
We don't have much time to arrange interviews but hope to make some contacts whilst we are on holiday.
Any help will be gratefully received!
Lisa and Paul Birch
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all
Default Re: Looking for work in Perth (whilst on hol)

Hiya, enjoy your holiday here. In my opinion Perth has little to offer in manufacturing as far as big companies go. They are here just on a smaller scale which means they are harder to find. Like most people say www.seek.com.au is the best place to find jobs. What type of manufacturing are you looking for food, plastic moulding etc, I'm sure Paul will have no trouble in finding a job here. Don't be disheartened (is that spelt right?) if they don't seem that interested at first, they will when you are living here. Feel free to get in touch when your here. We are NOR about 25kms from the city.
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Malcs66
Hiya, enjoy your holiday here. In my opinion Perth has little to offer in manufacturing as far as big companies go. They are here just on a smaller scale which means they are harder to find. Like most people say www.seek.com.au is the best place to find jobs. What type of manufacturing are you looking for food, plastic moulding etc, I'm sure Paul will have no trouble in finding a job here. Don't be disheartened (is that spelt right?) if they don't seem that interested at first, they will when you are living here. Feel free to get in touch when your here. We are NOR about 25kms from the city.
Well thank you very much for that email...it was lovely...I've just had aquick peek at some of your posts...is it Kinross where you live then? How do you like it?
Have you any tips of where to rent a holiday home? May do 3 stops..NOR/SOR and maybe a wknd in Freo? What do you think?

Paul has worked in a couple of different industries...many years in the wallpaper business (I know it's not big there!) and at the moment he manages 250 people who make plastic cards (credit/gift/phone). So he's flexible with the product...I suppose a manager is a manager!!
We just don't have too much time to get interviews organised!

Thank you again for your reply...........Lisa,x
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Malcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to allMalcs66 is a name known to all

yes i would recommend Kinross as a place to settle. Both my kids go to good schools Kinross and Mindarie senior. I guess like you said in your other post Hillary's is a nice place to stay for NOR, can't comment for SOR. What part of the UK are you from? I'll try and pm you tomorrow, off to bed as its late here. Good luck with your plans.
Malcs
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Well Hilary's it is then!!

We are from Blackburn in Lancs....yes I know, not the best place in world!!

Goodnight then, thanks for your help!!

Ooh! You will have to tell me what to bring...it's snowing here so my mind isn't telling me to pack sunny gear!!

Lisa,x
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:03 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snoo
Hey....we will be in Perth in a weeks time. Does anyone have any tips on looking for work or approaching companies? Paul is a production manager in the manufacturing industry and has a master's degree in business management and is looking for a permanent contract....we have a PR visa.
We don't have much time to arrange interviews but hope to make some contacts whilst we are on holiday.
Any help will be gratefully received!
Lisa and Paul Birch
Hi Lisa

Just noticed your thread. For certain jobs the recruitment agents are (apparently) pretty lousy. I don't know whether general management is one of those areas, but what I've heard suggested is: make a list of companies in any relevant industry, then call them up as soon as you're on the ground in Oz and ask to come and talk to their HR.

Haven't had to try this myself, but have heard it said that they like the direct approach - shows initative, etc.

Cheers
Ben
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Ben,x