Reload this Page >

Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

dave66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

Hello Folks,

I've got a standard size garage full of stuff that I need to move from Sydney to Perth when I get back there in January. Just wondering what the options are ? I was thinking of buying a 4WD in Sydney and then hiring a trailer and driving across. I've got 2 kids (1.5 and 3.5) so not sure how much fun that would be. I would intend to take 2/3 weeks to do it. Camping along the way. I'm presuming that would be a nice steady pace. I believe it can be done in 9 days if you drive and sleep and drive and sleep, etc. Buying a 4WD in Sydney and then living in Perth is probably not a good idea ? What if the thing blows up outside Adelaide or even in Perth ?? I might have to bring it back to the dealers !

Has anyone used a moving company from Sydney to Perth ? Would be interested to know how much it costs and how long it took. Do they generally use a train or drive or ship ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

nobody done this then ?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 6:44 am
ABCDiamond

This may give you an idea http://www.backload.com.au/

Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:26 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Do an on-line quote, with WWW.GRACE.COM.AU ........PROBLEM SOLVED,,, MM
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

wow expensive !! Had quotes of between $2000 and $3000 for a one-way move of less than a standard garage full of stuff from Sydney to Perth. I feel a garage sale coming on
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:04 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davebwithane
wow expensive !! Had quotes of between $2000 and $3000 for a one-way move of less than a standard garage full of stuff from Sydney to Perth. I feel a garage sale coming on
Dave at Grace we do mostly top shelf stuff, we make big money in corporate moving, but with fuel costs rising , the cost of moving is going to rise , so a lot of small companys compensate by handing off to back loaders, these guys dont know you, or care, so your freight,gets battered from pillar to post.......... mm
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mr mover
a lot of small companys compensate by handing off to back loaders, these guys dont know you, or care, so your freight,gets battered from pillar to post..........
Mine didn't

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mine didn't
Some people get lucky, remind me to post some photos, ............ mm
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:08 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
remind me to post some photos, ............ mm
post some photos
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by davebwithane
Hello Folks,

I've got a standard size garage full of stuff that I need to move from Sydney to Perth when I get back there in January. Just wondering what the options are ? I was thinking of buying a 4WD in Sydney and then hiring a trailer and driving across. I've got 2 kids (1.5 and 3.5) so not sure how much fun that would be. I would intend to take 2/3 weeks to do it. Camping along the way. I'm presuming that would be a nice steady pace. I believe it can be done in 9 days if you drive and sleep and drive and sleep, etc. Buying a 4WD in Sydney and then living in Perth is probably not a good idea ? What if the thing blows up outside Adelaide or even in Perth ?? I might have to bring it back to the dealers !

Has anyone used a moving company from Sydney to Perth ? Would be interested to know how much it costs and how long it took. Do they generally use a train or drive or ship ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
Hi Dave

The drive across to Perth can be done in about 5-6 days just driving through the day. We did it from the far North coast at Christmas. Even with a trailer it shouldn't take you much more than that. It is a lovely but long drive especially across the Nullabor. We took camping gear but opted to stay in motels as the first night we encountered a massive storm which put us off a little. Well planned there are plenty of places to stay but camping grounds ( tents ) seem a little more scarce so if you decide on camping do some research before you leave as to where and when to stop.

Regards
Liz
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by seang
post some photos
Make sure yer kids are in bed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mm
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:04 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried standbycars.com? You can hire camper vans etc one way from $1 a day!

Tracey