British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/looking-some-ideas-how-move-stuff-sydney-perth-323083/)

dave66 Aug 30th 2005 8:46 am

Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

Hello Folks,

I've got a standard size garage full of stuff that I need to move from Sydney to Perth when I get back there in January. Just wondering what the options are ? I was thinking of buying a 4WD in Sydney and then hiring a trailer and driving across. I've got 2 kids (1.5 and 3.5) so not sure how much fun that would be. I would intend to take 2/3 weeks to do it. Camping along the way. I'm presuming that would be a nice steady pace. I believe it can be done in 9 days if you drive and sleep and drive and sleep, etc. Buying a 4WD in Sydney and then living in Perth is probably not a good idea ? What if the thing blows up outside Adelaide or even in Perth ?? I might have to bring it back to the dealers !

Has anyone used a moving company from Sydney to Perth ? Would be interested to know how much it costs and how long it took. Do they generally use a train or drive or ship ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

dave66 Aug 31st 2005 6:14 am

Re: Looking for some ideas on how to move stuff from Sydney to Perth

nobody done this then ?

ABCDiamond Aug 31st 2005 6:44 am

This may give you an idea http://www.backload.com.au/

dave66 Aug 31st 2005 8:01 am

Thanks. I'll check it out.

mr mover Aug 31st 2005 9:26 am

Do an on-line quote, with WWW.GRACE.COM.AU ........PROBLEM SOLVED,,, :beer: MM

dave66 Sep 2nd 2005 8:20 am

wow expensive !! Had quotes of between $2000 and $3000 for a one-way move of less than a standard garage full of stuff from Sydney to Perth. I feel a garage sale coming on :)

mr mover Sep 2nd 2005 10:04 am

Originally Posted by davebwithane
wow expensive !! Had quotes of between $2000 and $3000 for a one-way move of less than a standard garage full of stuff from Sydney to Perth. I feel a garage sale coming on :)

Dave at Grace we do mostly top shelf stuff, we make big money in corporate moving, but with fuel costs rising , the cost of moving is going to rise , so a lot of small companys compensate by handing off to back loaders, these guys dont know you, or care, so your freight,gets battered from pillar to post.......... :beer: mm

ABCDiamond Sep 2nd 2005 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mr mover
a lot of small companys compensate by handing off to back loaders, these guys dont know you, or care, so your freight,gets battered from pillar to post..........

Mine didn't :D

mr mover Sep 2nd 2005 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Mine didn't :D

Some people get lucky, :D remind me to post some photos, ............ :beer: mm

seang Sep 2nd 2005 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mr mover
remind me to post some photos, ............ :beer: mm

post some photos

Diamond Lil Sep 2nd 2005 11:48 am

Originally Posted by davebwithane
Hello Folks,

I've got a standard size garage full of stuff that I need to move from Sydney to Perth when I get back there in January. Just wondering what the options are ? I was thinking of buying a 4WD in Sydney and then hiring a trailer and driving across. I've got 2 kids (1.5 and 3.5) so not sure how much fun that would be. I would intend to take 2/3 weeks to do it. Camping along the way. I'm presuming that would be a nice steady pace. I believe it can be done in 9 days if you drive and sleep and drive and sleep, etc. Buying a 4WD in Sydney and then living in Perth is probably not a good idea ? What if the thing blows up outside Adelaide or even in Perth ?? I might have to bring it back to the dealers !

Has anyone used a moving company from Sydney to Perth ? Would be interested to know how much it costs and how long it took. Do they generally use a train or drive or ship ?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave

The drive across to Perth can be done in about 5-6 days just driving through the day. We did it from the far North coast at Christmas. Even with a trailer it shouldn't take you much more than that. It is a lovely but long drive especially across the Nullabor. We took camping gear but opted to stay in motels as the first night we encountered a massive storm which put us off a little. Well planned there are plenty of places to stay but camping grounds ( tents ) seem a little more scarce so if you decide on camping do some research before you leave as to where and when to stop.

Regards
Liz

mr mover Sep 2nd 2005 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by seang
post some photos

Make sure yer kids are in bed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :beer: mm

nightnurse2 Sep 2nd 2005 3:04 pm

Have you tried standbycars.com? You can hire camper vans etc one way from $1 a day!

Tracey