Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking at houses in Melbourne.

Looking at houses in Melbourne.

Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

KelvinandVanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking at houses in Melbourne.

Is There anyone out there that can give us some advice on good areas.Seen some lovely houses in Narre Warren.Does anyone know what its like there schools etc.Hoping to fly over soon for a holiday and look 4 jobs etc.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Caulfieldman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking at houses in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by KelvinandVanessa
Is There anyone out there that can give us some advice on good areas.Seen some lovely houses in Narre Warren.Does anyone know what its like there schools etc.Hoping to fly over soon for a holiday and look 4 jobs etc.

Narre Warren is a LONG way from the main activity areas, the 'downtown' area is a huge distance. Narre Warren is all about shopping malls, motorways and silent suburbs; i.e., it isn't much at all like the "Melbourne" you've read about; for example the nearest tram is a good half hour drive.

You may well like that ambience; at least be warned!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:17 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Narre Warren is split into three areas really - narre warren, narre warren south and narre warren north. They are all slightly different but there is nothing wrong with any of them. There are areas in some parts that you should stay away from but if you look at the house prices that will give you an indication of that. Yes it's a distance from the city but not all of us want to live near the city. As for schools etc there are a lot to chose from depending where you live. There is good shopping at a place called Fountain Gate with all the shops you could wish for. The nearest beach is probably Frankston which is about a 30 min drive away. When you get here you'll be able to see for yourself on driving around if this is the place for you. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:25 am
Just Joined

KelvinandVanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
Narre Warren is split into three areas really - narre warren, narre warren south and narre warren north. They are all slightly different but there is nothing wrong with any of them. There are areas in some parts that you should stay away from but if you look at the house prices that will give you an indication of that. Yes it's a distance from the city but not all of us want to live near the city. As for schools etc there are a lot to chose from depending where you live. There is good shopping at a place called Fountain Gate with all the shops you could wish for. The nearest beach is probably Frankston which is about a 30 min drive away. When you get here you'll be able to see for yourself on driving around if this is the place for you. Good luck and hope this helps.
hi lindsay, Weve seen some realy nice big houses on the web, the sort you would dream of over here and the price is realy cheap, is that because its in a naff area of narre warren? We are now thinking of playing safe when we get over there and try and get something that is going to leave us with a lot of spare cash, just incase oh doesnt get job straight away and all the hidden extras that pop up that you have to pay for, read to many post on here saying that they are skint and wondering if they have done the wrong thing, dont want that to happen, rather have a smaller mortgage, play safe
Vanessa
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KelvinandVanessa
hi lindsay, Weve seen some realy nice big houses on the web, the sort you would dream of over here and the price is realy cheap, is that because its in a naff area of narre warren? We are now thinking of playing safe when we get over there and try and get something that is going to leave us with a lot of spare cash, just incase oh doesnt get job straight away and all the hidden extras that pop up that you have to pay for, read to many post on here saying that they are skint and wondering if they have done the wrong thing, dont want that to happen, rather have a smaller mortgage, play safe
Vanessa
Vanessa,

We are also looking at Melbourne - the Britvics site is also a good source of information

Talking to other people on the site we have been advised to rent for the first 6 months before we decide where we want to settle to avoid making any costly mistakes. Although this may seem like 'dead money' it will give you a chance to get to know the area and also give you time to find that ideal home!

Good luck

Laura
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:05 pm
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I would have to agree and say that it would probably be better to come over and rent for 6/12 months first. That way you can look around a lot more and get more of a feel for places. It really does depend on what you mean by "cheap" as most houses here are cheap compared to the UK but that doesn't mean to say they are good value for money in the area they are being sold. One thing I always say is that where ever you chose to rent make sure you can actually afford to buy there at a later date. It would be awful to fall in love with an area that you are renting in only to realise that you cant afford to buy there as well. Good luck.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:17 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
I would have to agree and say that it would probably be better to come over and rent for 6/12 months first. That way you can look around a lot more and get more of a feel for places. It really does depend on what you mean by "cheap" as most houses here are cheap compared to the UK but that doesn't mean to say they are good value for money in the area they are being sold. One thing I always say is that where ever you chose to rent make sure you can actually afford to buy there at a later date. It would be awful to fall in love with an area that you are renting in only to realise that you cant afford to buy there as well. Good luck.
What she said ....strongly agree

LJJ
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, the cheapest area to buy a luxury home, combined with the closest location to the CBD, is the Highlands estate in Craigeburn.

25ks out, or approx 40 mins to the city. People that have bought there have heavily over extended themselves. Plus the Ford factory (a major employer) is likely to close in the next few years, along with Dunlop, and the promised fruit and Vegie wholesale market, which was supposed to move there moved is now moving elsewhere, the locals are Kaking themselves. Hence some fantastic homes going at present. You should be able to pick up the following for sub 500,000.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1189736791

Not a great example I will admit, plus I wouldnt live that far out in a blue fit, but nonetheless I can see its a bargain from the point of view of a new Migrant.

Slightly Better example, Pickup circa 550,000 - 560,000.... The estate agents when selling these about 5 years ago, were quoting million dollar prices within 10 years LOL !!

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1189737284.

Where as to be where the trams are, or in the same suburb as me, 20 mins drive closer towards the city, this is what you get for about the same money or more.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1189737644

This place went down my street last week, 18months ago it cost 280,000 bucks, it went for 410,000 and is incredibly small, its gone up by circa 25pct, and probably still rising. The market between the outer suburbs and inner has never contrasted so much in my 27 years here in Aus, as they are presently.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2006630966

Happy house hunting, The next few months are going to be great for bargain buying in the outer suburbs.

BTW, just realised I may have sounded big headed, the reason I wouldn't live in the outer suburbs, is because I dont want to have to own two cars, plus I wouldnt want to spend a large portion of each day sitting in my car. Owning a 2nd car probably costs about 7,000 Aud per annum minimum which is equivalent to circa 10,500 dollars of pre tax income or 200 bucks per week, plus probably an hour wasted of your life travelling every day, factor that into your mortgage costs.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 14th 2007 at 3:44 am.