Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

frustration with setting up a phone, broadband,cable TV in Melbourne

frustration with setting up a phone, broadband,cable TV in Melbourne

Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default frustration with setting up a phone, broadband,cable TV in Melbourne

Hey all,

Ok we got the place sorted started work all going good but trying to set up a phone and internet is a nightmare.

Yeah it doesnt help not knowing how it works here but the peeps we have dealt with havnt been making it easy. First guy was helpful, but couldnt tell us anything, second said we needed to set up the phone before the internet as they cant tell if the internet will work without the phone. However it would take 2 weeks for the phone to be 'switched on' its already plumbed in!!

Then we spoke to another guy who was utterly useless, and tried to sell us loads of stuff we couldnt use in our place.

Turns out we can get Telstra in our street, but optus have the phone lines to the house. One from telstra said we have to pay 358aud to set up all three, optus said we can only get phone and internet, and definately said we can get adsl 2.0 . How they can say that without the line i dont know.

For the tv we would need to get either optus or telstra to approach the body corporate of our apartment to say yes to having the cable plugged in.

I thought cable here pumped through the phone line????

Anyway just to have a simple phone we will need to wait atleast 2 weeks to have it set up. Best thing is though we have to apply now, so our 10 day 'cooling off' period is out of date before the service is provided. So if its crap they we cant cancel.

Anyone been in the same boat. Are we being led up the garden path?

We are off to optus and telstra shops today, once we get a definate (if). I will post it on here, im sure there must be others in the same boat.

We need the phone and internet cos the other half is looking for a job and going to the internet cafe is doing his head in.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:35 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: frustration with setting up a phone, broadband,cable TV in Melbourne

For Adsl look here..

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Watch the 24 month lock-ins. You can get phone/net bundles for about $10 off, but it depends on what you use your phone for, and how much net you want.

They will always make you put the phone in first because they won't know until the line is connected if you can get ADSL at all.

If you know your exchange or suburb, you can use this to check out who's adsl 2 equipment is in your exchange.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/viewsuburb.php

Telstra runs the shop , and are far worse than BT ever were.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: frustration with setting up a phone, broadband,cable TV in Melbourne

No extra wiring beyond your phone line is required for standard ADSL or ADSL2 broadband - if there's a phone line in, broadband provision and a slot at the exchange, then you can get it.

Avoid the big telcos if you can - you pay over the odds, for shit service, piss-poor bandwidth allowances and lousy speeds. Try Internode, iiNet or Westnet. If, however, you want to do a phone/broadband bundle, then the lesser of several evils are AAPT, who still charge more for less than the three excellent ISPs above, but are a damn sight better than Ploptus or Helstra.

Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:46 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo

For the tv we would need to get either optus or telstra to approach the body corporate of our apartment to say yes to having the cable plugged in.

.....and you would only have to have one other owner object and they may not allow the Foxtel connection. It happened to a guy at work, one old dear objected to Foxtel putting cable into the complex and his application was rejected.

They install a separate phone connection outlet to allow the signal to be sent back to the billing centre (for Box Office and interactive programs).
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:18 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

I came across this last night.

Might be of interest :

http://http://broadbandguide.com.au/

I had a reply back from Netspace within 2 days :

Thank you for enquiring about Netspace Broadband for your home. The Home
2+40 ADSL2+ plan is provided for $69.95 per month when bundled with the
phone.

The Everyday phone plan is provided at $34.95 per month. The cost for connection of the phone service is usually %59.

A new phone service connection would be ready in usually 5 to 10 business days, and the broadband connection will be ready 5 to 10 business days after the phone activation.

Please find attached the ADSL2+ and New Phone service application forms including all plans and prices.

Should you like help in selecting or joining a broadband plan, or have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me on 1300 360 025.

Kind Regards,

Phil Jamieson
Sales Consultant
Netspace Online Systems Pty Ltd
P: 1300 360 025
F: 1300 300 509

hope it helps.

If you want the forms to look a as well, just PM me.

Old Aug 29th 2007, 1:08 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

I tell you what mate, if my missus was to read this she would have said i wrote what you just have, the only difference is that ours is on now 3 days ago!!! yes 3, they eventually came oute on a SUNDAY to sort it after 4 weks and 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tip: dont waste your time in optus or Telstra shops they will only connect you to the customer service in both in the shop and you will sit there for a long time waiting for another idiot to help you who then passes you to another idiot and soo on until you get up and walk out!!!!!!!!!:curse: Do yourself another fvour and find a decent library to use where its nice and quiet, the internet cafe near us was full of young idiots playing games and drove me nuts.

I feel gutted for you mate right now

BTW just one other thing, if its a telstra main line and Optus was connected there at time when you moved in dont hang about as Optus will not service the telstra lines anymore since June for new customers, they have restructured all their leasing from Telstra, we were told because it already was an Optus line leased from telstra and still connected that they can just change the account to our name only to find out 2 weeks later and after cancelling the Telstra connection as Optus told us to that they then said OH we are sorry we cant give you the line you have to go back to telstra and see if they can put it on, BUT Optus wouldnt release the Line until i found the previous tennant that lived here asked him to call optus and disconnect the line or have him sign a form that they said would email to me and never got!!!!!!!!! FFS i dint even know if the guy was still in the country.

if you are desperate to have internet why not try (Unwired broadband) if you are in the catchment area. Go into Harvey Norman and they will show you what you need, it is expensive but i needed it also for different things and had to get it. I am on the unwired at the moment and still waiting for Bigpond to switch me on:curse:

I hope you get sorted soon!!

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey all,

Ok we got the place sorted started work all going good but trying to set up a phone and internet is a nightmare.

Yeah it doesnt help not knowing how it works here but the peeps we have dealt with havnt been making it easy. First guy was helpful, but couldnt tell us anything, second said we needed to set up the phone before the internet as they cant tell if the internet will work without the phone. However it would take 2 weeks for the phone to be 'switched on' its already plumbed in!!

Then we spoke to another guy who was utterly useless, and tried to sell us loads of stuff we couldnt use in our place.

Turns out we can get Telstra in our street, but optus have the phone lines to the house. One from telstra said we have to pay 358aud to set up all three, optus said we can only get phone and internet, and definately said we can get adsl 2.0 . How they can say that without the line i dont know.

Anyway just to have a simple phone we will need to wait atleast 2 weeks to have it set up. Best thing is though we have to apply now, so our 10 day 'cooling off' period is out of date before the service is provided. So if its crap they we cant cancel.

Anyone been in the same boat. Are we being led up the garden path?

We are off to optus and telstra shops today, once we get a definate (if). I will post it on here, im sure there must be others in the same boat.

We need the phone and internet cos the other half is looking for a job and going to the internet cafe is doing his head in.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

I have also just moved to Melbourne and am moving into a flat in Hawthorn East next week, I need to have a phone and broadband for work (work pay half) and am looking at cable which I can get in the unit am moving into apparently. Anyone any experiences with getting cable broadband how long it will take etc, hope it won't take forever to get at least phone line switched over as have to stay late at work at the moment for conferences with the UK.