Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

looking for help

looking for help

Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:16 am
Just Joined

robcarpenter25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool looking for help

Hi going back tp ozz to live in about 9 months time , I am am a carpenter (hello to all thos other chippies+tradies out there) and am looking for info on taking my 110 volt tools with a transformer out to ozz with me.
I have about 3 grands worth so if dont have to sell them would be good.

Would be nice to here of any other similar experiences , info on the above

thanks in advance
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for help

Originally Posted by robcarpenter25
Hi going back tp ozz to live in about 9 months time , I am am a carpenter (hello to all thos other chippies+tradies out there) and am looking for info on taking my 110 volt tools with a transformer out to ozz with me.
I have about 3 grands worth so if dont have to sell them would be good.

Would be nice to here of any other similar experiences , info on the above

thanks in advance
not much help, but where you going
Denise
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cranni
not much help, but where you going
Denise

Hervey Bay where the sun always shines
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:23 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Building sites work on 240volts. Not sure how it wopuld go about you using 110 on site. If privates then i can't see a problem. But i dont believe they will not let you use on site. But i may be wrong. Anyone?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

My other half is a builder and I did a search on here for him. I think there wwere different responses, but he has decided to take his anyway because I think you can use them on your own property and on site if you have a transfomer, although again some say differently, but do the search as Im not 100%.

Good luck
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy
My other half is a builder and I did a search on here for him. I think there wwere different responses, but he has decided to take his anyway because I think you can use them on your own property and on site if you have a transfomer, although again some say differently, but do the search as Im not 100%.

Good luck

thanks will do a search like you say seem to be mixed feelings on this one

cheers again

enjoy the sun
Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

gasmark is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I'm a plumber in Brisbane and I came over with all my 110v gear. They hadn't even heard of it here!!!! you will find it difficult to get it electricaly tested and tagged. (This is compulsory for any site work)

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old Sep 26th 2006, 12:33 pm
Ready to Jaunt

Starcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

My other half is a self-employed carpenter here in WA so I've just asked his advice. He says the previous post is spot on, anything out of the norm they wont test. He reckons because the tools used here are different to the UK, his advice would be to sell your tools in the UK and buy new out here. He says they are about 2/3 of price of the UK - you can buy Makita for the same price as Dewalt.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Starcatcher
My other half is a self-employed carpenter here in WA so I've just asked his advice. He says the previous post is spot on, anything out of the norm they wont test. He reckons because the tools used here are different to the UK, his advice would be to sell your tools in the UK and buy new out here. He says they are about 2/3 of price of the UK - you can buy Makita for the same price as Dewalt.

Thanks All for the advice.
much appreciated I think i will cut my losses and sell up!!!

thanks again.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks All for the advice.
much appreciated I think i will cut my losses and sell up!!!

thanks again.
I use my 110V gear and have no problems with testing and tagging as I've done the course and T&T my own tools (as long as the tools are in safe working order they will pass the test criteria whoever is testing them).
I moaned like everyone else did when 110V was made compulsary but now I've in the land of 240V and no fuses in the plugs I much prefer to use 110V power tools.
Throw um in the container
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
I use my 110V gear and have no problems with testing and tagging as I've done the course and T&T my own tools (as long as the tools are in safe working order they will pass the test criteria whoever is testing them).
I moaned like everyone else did when 110V was made compulsary but now I've in the land of 240V and no fuses in the plugs I much prefer to use 110V power tools.
Throw um in the container

CHEERS MATE ANY MORE INFO ON TAGGING MY OWN TOOLS WHERE COULD I GET THE QUAL SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA
WOOD BE HANDY IF I COULD BRING THEM YOU GET ATTACHED AFTER A WHILE

THANKS AGAIN
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

CHEERS MATE ANY MORE INFO ON TAGGING MY OWN TOOLS WHERE COULD I GET THE QUAL SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA
WOOD BE HANDY IF I COULD BRING THEM YOU GET ATTACHED AFTER A WHILE

THANKS AGAIN
I spent a saturday morning sat in a old couples dining room in Logan to do the T&T course last Feb. I'll give you thier number if youre heading towards SE Qld.
I've just done it again at TAFE as part of another course.
It isn't difficult or too expensive and is better than having to dig everything out of the van every 3 months for somebody else to tut at.
Might be wise to get a spare transformer just incase you drop from the ladder while trying to hold it between your knees .
Old Sep 28th 2006, 8:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy

Good luck
Please let me know when he's going to use it *without* his transformer - I could do with a laugh <g>
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
Please let me know when he's going to use it *without* his transformer - I could do with a laugh <g>
I know somebody who thought they'd bought a 110V mixer and used it for ages until the apprentice pointed out the plate said 240V.
Even considered welding a handle on it to give it a bit of help when it was struggling to turn