Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Looking For Advice on Booking Flights :

Looking For Advice on Booking Flights :

Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:21 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Looking For Advice on Booking Flights :

Hi There :

We have a problem.

I have applied for a job in Oz, and have been told there will be a good chance i will be starting in May next year, in Brisbane. However, this is not garunteed, and there is a possibility of a September start.

We will not find out for sure when i will be starting until mid February.

We want to sort the flights out, but it is obviously difficult given the circumstances. I have seen deals for flights which if booked soon, you can get a flight from Heathrow to Brisbane for about £400 (one way,) in April. It would be great to take advantage of deals like this, but it is difficult given the fact i do not know for sure when i will be starting.

My question is, based on your experiences, if we leave booking flights until mid February, are we likely to have to pay much more for our flights? Or is it possible to get similar deals two to three months before the departure date? We are not sure whether to risk booking the £400 flights, obviously if i do not start in May we are going to lose alot of money. If we leave booking flights until February, how much more would we be looking at paying for regular flights? Is there an "average" cost of flights in economy class from the UK to Oz?

Has anyone got any suggestions how to deal with this one?

Cheers - Bob
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:29 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking For Advice on Booking Flights :

Originally Posted by R.Soper
Hi There :

We have a problem.

I have applied for a job in Oz, and have been told there will be a good chance i will be starting in May next year, in Brisbane. However, this is not garunteed, and there is a possibility of a September start.

We will not find out for sure when i will be starting until mid February.

We want to sort the flights out, but it is obviously difficult given the circumstances. I have seen deals for flights which if booked soon, you can get a flight from Heathrow to Brisbane for about £400 (one way,) in April. It would be great to take advantage of deals like this, but it is difficult given the fact i do not know for sure when i will be starting.

My question is, based on your experiences, if we leave booking flights until mid February, are we likely to have to pay much more for our flights? Or is it possible to get similar deals two to three months before the departure date? We are not sure whether to risk booking the £400 flights, obviously if i do not start in May we are going to lose alot of money. If we leave booking flights until February, how much more would we be looking at paying for regular flights? Is there an "average" cost of flights in economy class from the UK to Oz?

Has anyone got any suggestions how to deal with this one?

Cheers - Bob
why not check to see how much a one way fare would cost you next month, that will give you an idea. When i was in the business one way fares didn't vary that much fromone season to another, but then i havent worked in travel for a few years now.

To commit yourself to a ticket that doesn't allow any changes or refunds when you don't know your dates would be (IMO) mad. Some tickets may allow changes of date for a fee it maybe worth checking that.

Lynn