Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Enrolling the kids in school

Enrolling the kids in school

Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:38 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice
Default Enrolling the kids in school

Yippeeee! We have just had an offer on the house today, so we can finally start planning our new life more seriously. We need advice though.........
We are hoping to go in February 07 as we won't book our flights etc till we know the house is sold. Heard to many horror stories, buyers pulling out etc :scared: so we are going to try and get a short term let or move in the mothers as last resort!!!
Should I try and enrol my daughter at a school now or wait until we get there? We are seriously considering Ormiston, Bayside in Brisbane, she has just started in year 1 in the UK, which will mean she is starting school in Australia as a brand newbie. Can anyone share their experiences or tips.
Thankyou in anticipation.
Mrs Q
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enrolling the kids in school

I would keep your options open until you get here. You might decide that you don't want to be in that specific area after all, or you may not like the school when push comes to shove. I don't think you will have any problem getting her a place in any state school.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that your daughter goes back a year into the recently created "prep" year which would commence end Jan 2007. She'd then go into Grade 1 in Jan 08.

If you know where youa re going to live then I would make arrangeemnts with a school in advance - though no real need to do this. We arrived mid December (some years back) during school hols and still got our son into school before term started in Jan.

Start here:

http://education.qld.gov.au/international/

Originally Posted by The Quinns
Should I try and enrol my daughter at a school now or wait until we get there? We are seriously considering Ormiston, Bayside in Brisbane, she has just started in year 1 in the UK, which will mean she is starting school in Australia as a brand newbie. Thankyou in anticipation.
Mrs Q
Old Sep 18th 2006, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

May i say i work for the education dept in Melbourne, and to be honest you dont need to worry about enrolling your child now. You can enrol her when you arrive its as simple as that. If you are sending the child to a state school and you live in the zone, (Area) the school have to take her,but as other have pointed out to you what if you move or want to send the child to another school, honestly its not worth the worry love.

Enjoy the time you have left in the UK, and look forward to a fantastic new life in Australia.

all the very best

Arthur
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

Have you contacted Ormiston to see if they have places? I know when we came out last Oct they had no vacancies for our yr 5 (10 year old) or yr 8 (12 year old). We opted for Sheldon & have been very happy - Dr Bishop is amazing. The kids have settled well & are very happy. Happy kids = happy parents We looked at the state schools in the area & afraid of opening a can of worms - hated them. Ormiston is excellent, but check out Sheldon too. www.sheldoncollege.com

Originally Posted by The Quinns
Yippeeee! We have just had an offer on the house today, so we can finally start planning our new life more seriously. We need advice though.........
We are hoping to go in February 07 as we won't book our flights etc till we know the house is sold. Heard to many horror stories, buyers pulling out etc :scared: so we are going to try and get a short term let or move in the mothers as last resort!!!
Should I try and enrol my daughter at a school now or wait until we get there? We are seriously considering Ormiston, Bayside in Brisbane, she has just started in year 1 in the UK, which will mean she is starting school in Australia as a brand newbie. Can anyone share their experiences or tips.
Thankyou in anticipation.
Mrs Q
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:11 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

Thankyou all so much for you informative responses!!! We wil take your comments and it has certainly lifted the weight off our shoulders knowing the process is not as difficult as we anticipated!
It wasn't that easy at St Michael's Eljay! Only joking, a cracking school
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Quinn, all the best to you on your arrival in australia, as i person commented happy Kids = Happy Parents.

regards

arthur quinn
melbourne
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jacksoo
Have you contacted Ormiston to see if they have places? I know when we came out last Oct they had no vacancies for our yr 5 (10 year old) or yr 8 (12 year old). We opted for Sheldon & have been very happy - Dr Bishop is amazing. The kids have settled well & are very happy. Happy kids = happy parents We looked at the state schools in the area & afraid of opening a can of worms - hated them. Ormiston is excellent, but check out Sheldon too. www.sheldoncollege.com

Dare I ask what you hated about state schools?