Longtermers??

Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future
Default Longtermers??

Hi All.

After reading loads of updates about people who have made the move down under i've noticed that a fair few have now returned to the Uk.

I seem to read a post saying how great Oz is and how they'll never come back to Uk and then 3 weeks later i read that they're back in Uk.

Is there anyone on this forum who likes their new life in Oz and has actually been there for more than 2 years.

Would love to hear feedback.

Steve.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: Longtermers??

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi All.

After reading loads of updates about people who have made the move down under i've noticed that a fair few have now returned to the Uk.

I seem to read a post saying how great Oz is and how they'll never come back to Uk and then 3 weeks later i read that they're back in Uk.

Is there anyone on this forum who likes their new life in Oz and has actually been there for more than 2 years.

Steve.
what do you want to know? been here 3.5 years now, had lots of ups and downs, been back to uk twice for holidays, hubby 4 times (2 funerals) expensive to travel though. we love living here but are still finding our feet. got some great pals and keep regulr contact with family in uk.
karen
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 4 years.

It's not been easy especially watching house prices double from a rented house.

We're settled now, bought a house and here for good.

Women tend to find it harder than men to settle and we were no exception, we nearly returned to the UK a couple of times because my wife was finding it so hard.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

r1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant futurer1c1 has a brilliant future

Thanks for being honest re. hard times. It's a massive decision moving whole family to the other side of the world.

Glad things are working out for you all.

Steve.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

so many times we have said "if only"! hindsight is a wonderful thing! we bought an old property - for cash - all we'd got (did'nt think anyone would lend us money) then went and told the council everything we wanted to do to it, ended up spending a fortune on fees, and they used to come and see what we were doing all the time... then when we sold had to purchase insurance in case any work done caused problems, all following expensive inspections (the guy only took a few minutes to check)
as the house was over 25 years old we have since learned that no interior plans would have been held and we could have done what we liked without worry!
like i said hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

annier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant futureannier has a brilliant future

Been here 34 years, we have had our ups and downs but that happens anywhere, still love to visit the uk but would never go back to live, only thing i have sent out is my aristoc panty hose, love the outdoor lifestyle brought up 2 children here, so our main family is here which makes it easier. Annie
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:51 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Coming up to 2 years and love it.

Dont believe the hype. Many more are settled and happy and dont return that do. Many who have been here for good dont post anymore and (usually) are a lot less vocal than the unhappy returnee's. Perhaps thats why you think many do return.

Sure a balanced view is important but fact is it works out for more of us than doesnt.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:45 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We're over the three year mark. Completely settled and loving it, I must add that I also loved living in the U.K. Sure there are things that irritate me there were in the U.K.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Hi All.

Steve.
I've been here nearly 10 years and still love it! I also enjoy the holidays back to the UK and do feel that people give it a hard run, which is why ironically they might end up back there because they do not come to Australia with realistic expectations. Having said that the UK is feeling more and more foreign and sadly, more materialistic upon every visit.

We were lucky to have come out when house prices were still reasonable and here we were able to financially get ahead whereas in the UK (London) we could not. We could never return to the UK now because we could not afford it.

I feel very well established here and have a great network of friends. Since we first moved some of my husband's family also shifted over and I think that has probably led to the feelings of permanence.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

petafray will become famous soon enough

Been here 4 years and are now Australian Citizens. Not been back to the UK but I am going in 2 weeks as part of a business trip to Europe. We all settled in really well, kids love it here and really don't miss anything about the UK. I skype the folks every week (more than I did when we lived in Leicestershire and they lived in Buckinghamshire) so my mum and dad get to see the kids on the web cam. Kids love it over here and wouldn't dream of going back although when they are old enough they have the 2 passports to make the year out (and staying if they want to) really easy.
The other thing is that we both still go to work every day so in that respect it is not so different. The 9-5 still has to be done, kids still need to go to school etc.
I agree with the comment made - we loved living in the UK too. we didn't come here because it was better, but because it was going to be different. we have found it so but love it. This is now home.
The things that others seem to miss have not bothered me as there are new and different things to be experienced over here. No I cant go down the pub and sit in front of a roaring fire, however in the UK I couldn't go to Fraser Island and experience the sheer beauty of 75 mile beach and the freedom of off roading in my 4wd. I kayak in Moreton Bay every weekend and my kids are learning to sail. I guess the point is we are taking advantage of the opportunities and activities that are available here and not really worrying about what we would be doing if we were in the UK. We're not so why even think about it.

Anyway - long winded post but the point is we are having a good time - even now 4 years in.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Some good replies.

I hope Oz life will suit me better than Uk. I live in Scotland and my main hobby is motorcycling and always wanted to scuba dive but too cold here.

I'm hoping that I can enjoy more biking time in Oz and can finally learn to dive.

Unfortunately I'll still have to work the 9-5 unless I win the lottery.

Proud to be Scottish and certainly don't hate Scotland, just don't like cold and wet weather.

I'm sure that after a while I'll find things to moan about in Oz too.

Steve.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Some good replies.

I hope Oz life will suit me better than Uk. I live in Scotland and my main hobby is motorcycling and always wanted to scuba dive but too cold here.

I'm hoping that I can enjoy more biking time in Oz and can finally learn to dive.

Proud to be Scottish and certainly don't hate Scotland, just don't like cold and wet weather.

Steve.

I've been here 26 years now, I did however come for love, rather than a lifestyle choice. My wife is an Aussie, I met her on a holiday here to Aus back in 77, she came over to the UK, and when it was obvious that we were going to commit to each other, she refused to commit to the UK.

Been pretty happy in all that time, I've got 4 aussie kids, the oldest 23, the youngest 8. Felt very settled uptil 2 years ago, when I visited the UK for the first time in 16 years (2nd holiday back) when it hit me that my brother, who i got along really well with, and was 12 when I left, and 21 when I first revisted, and 40 on my last visit. Was living a life that was fairly good, in a place that was as good as I live, and with possibly more money in has back pocket, after the bills were paid.

Having said that, once on the treadmill of life, and raising kids, I'm fairly confident that Aussie, is probably an easier place to raise a family. It just doesnt have the highs and lows.... or extreme boundarys that the UK has.

In hindsight, I left the UK, at a very early age, 23/24, having experienced very little of what the country has to offer, a realisation that is hitting me hard in my fifties, and one I want to rectify, by spending as much time as possible upon my retirement, around my very large family, seeing all the things that I missed in my early years back in the UK.

I intend to always live here, but hell I want to spend some years back in the UK as well.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:30 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Some good replies.

Steve.
We going to Oz knowing that is going to be hard but we will have the determination for it to succeed.

We know its not going to be a non stop holiday and we are still going to have to work, but just just look at whats on offer when your not at work..so much more than back here.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
We going to Oz knowing that is going to be hard but we will have the determination for it to succeed.

We know its not going to be a non stop holiday and we are still going to have to work, but just just look at whats on offer when your not at work..so much more than back here.

Once all is said and done, there is not that much difference, in my opinion at least, in life as a working person, between the UK and Aus. If your lucky enough to get a cushy job, sobeit and vice versa, some jobs can be hard. So from a job and wages front there isn't too much difference.

In your second paragraph, you've probably epitomised what every migrant is seeking. Although from my slightly jaded or familiar point of view, I really dont know exactly what that is. I'm used to having unspoilt beaches and natural bush river banks now. I've spent so much time on them in my 26 years here, that the prospect of another one leaves me with, well a feeling of deje-vu.

In my time 23 years in the UK, I never visited Scotland, Cornwall, and most major cities (except for football matches)... The thought of being able to visit Edinburgh or York, or the Lake district is far more exciting than another trip to a sunny empty beach,

I dont want to put anyone off, but life takes us through stages, and I'm at a stage where I want to see what I should have seen before I left the old dart.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 17th 2007 at 3:56 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 3:58 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Once all is said and done, there is not that much difference, in my opinion at least, in life as a working person, between the UK and Aus. If your lucky enough to get a cushy job, sobeit and vice versa, some jobs can be hard. So from a job and wages front there isn't too much difference.

In your second paragraph, you've probably epitomised what every migrant is seeking. Although from my slightly jaded or familiar point of view, I really sdont know exactly what that is. I'm used to having unspoilt beaches and natural bush river banks now. I've spent so much time on them in my 26 years here, that the prospect of another one leaves me with well a feeling of deje-vu.

In my time 23 years in the UK, I never visited Scotland, Cornwall, and most major cities (except for football matches)... The thought of being able to visit Edinburgh or York, or the Lake district is far more exciting than another trip to a sunny empty beach,

I dont want to put anyone off, but life takes us through stages, and I'm at a stage where I want to see what I should have seen before I left the old dart.
but when you have got 4 kids in tow they appreciate an empty sunny beach rather than be dragged around the lakes or a city......the mrs and i are happy with both choices but the beach would always win given the kids choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.