Longtermers??

Old Feb 17th 2007, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Longtermers??

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
but when you have got 4 kids in tow they appreciate an empty sunny beach rather than be dragged around the lakes or a city......the mrs and i are happy with both choices but the beach would always win given the kids choice

Yes I would agree with that for sure. In fact for families I'm very confident that Aus, with its educational focus on socialization is a far better prospect.

I was talking from a purely selfish or personal point of view, as to where I am at my point in Life. I doubt if my 8 year old would be better off there. However my 21 year old born and bred aussie daughter is living in London, and has a damn good job, and is moving forwards, and is probably heaps better off there.

It's all about where you are in your life. My advice would be, not to consider a move a permanent move. I think that this mode or moving back and forth will become more prevelant in the future.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzie, like what you say and agree with you. I'm looking forward to dropping in on the Uk every few years say 3 or 4. As we are financially ahead in Australia that might become easier as the years go by.

Its good to 'check nav'.

But I'm glad we got married, got a house, started a family here and not in the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:06 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

UK has a lot of my history, my knowledge and my family - Being an immigrant is hard work at times and lonely.

I have been here five years, Australian Citizens and very pleased to be. Hubby fairly settled and we have a good life but we did in the UK too and it has possibly taken three/four years to get back to the same sort of stability of income - and now I am being made redundant

We have had many ups and downs, the worse seem to be around my homesickness which I have not managed to shake. I sort this by travelling back every year, which I am lucky to be able to save and do but takes a chunk out of the four weeks holiday here. Hubby's father died last December and he missed being there with him by 2 hrs - I am one person who thinks this 'it's only 24 hrs' is just complete shite. It is nearly 12,000 miles and very costly to do in flight prices and paid time off work if not planned. I cannot be there for the majority of my families lifes events so I have to live with that but it does drag me down at times.

Son 16 and in final year 12 is not sure what to do - I believe he will be travelling back to the UK either before or after Uni, we hope after as I think he will stay in Europe for quite awhile once he goes. Daughter 14 and in year 9 is working hard at long last as her goal is to get decent year 10 school certificate results as we promised her she could go to school in the UK for A levels if she had all fives and sixes in year 10! Obviously at this age things can change and I hope this will so she can feel happy wherever she is.

Hubby and I will be planning to move house when they go and not tell them where we live Might as well plan around our kids being 12000 miles from us.

Our goal is to be able to get to fifty ish and take life a little more easily, move out of Sydney and do the move further up the coast. (Take some money and run) I want to spend a few years back in Europe before then and will be using this opportunity of work change to see what is available.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Been here over 5 years now (wow).

Reading some of the posts it seems that people are in holiday mode for the first few weeks even months, they convert prices into pounds so they think everything is really cheap.

Then reality hits home when they start to earn AUD

Originally Posted by r1c1
Hi All.

After reading loads of updates about people who have made the move down under i've noticed that a fair few have now returned to the Uk.

I seem to read a post saying how great Oz is and how they'll never come back to Uk and then 3 weeks later i read that they're back in Uk.

Is there anyone on this forum who likes their new life in Oz and has actually been there for more than 2 years.

Would love to hear feedback.

Steve.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived here for over 27 years now, came here on my own for a year, and then decided to stay so didn't really migrate as such. Have never felt homesick and have never wanted to live in the UK again. Met and married my (English) husband here.

We have two sons, both born here, who've had a fantastic education and are both now at Uni. I hope that they'll both travel and live in the UK (for a while at least) so that they can appreciate both countries.

We've been very lucky with real estate and have a good house in a great beachside area. Fantastic shopping around here with everything anyone could possibly need. Day-to-day living is easy and laid-back, despite being close to the centre of Sydney.

We've had a few holidays back in the UK and whilst I enjoy being there for short periods, the longer I live here obviously the more 'foreign' it feels back there. I would like an extended holiday there one day - probably be a retirement thing - so we can explore a few places we've never been to and do the sorts of things it's impossible to do when you're limited to school holidays with the kids, but I would NEVER live there permanently.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like my life, like the potential my life has. Never had holiday mode, job hunting the day I landed.

Came here 3.5 yrs back to marry an Aussie. He has seen all he wants to see of Aus, done the beaches, wants to stay indoors and watch TV. I want to see more of my new home, see the sea, meet up with my new friends. He wins, cos we are a couple and so I go along with what he wants - doesn't feel right always going out without him.

My life has the potential to be really good Don't think I'll ever achivee it though.

Best advice to anyone - come here as a family unit, and grasp every chance to explore and experience the country.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
We've had a few holidays back in the UK and whilst I enjoy being there for short periods, the longer I live here obviously the more 'foreign' it feels back there. I would like an extended holiday there one day - probably be a retirement thing - so we can explore a few places we've never been to and do the sorts of things it's impossible to do when you're limited to school holidays with the kids, but I would NEVER live there permanently.
The point that both Sandra and Nicky make about regular visits is that a bit of financial independence helps(!) I'm hoping, alongside other things that international flights will come down and that in 10 years time it might get cheaper to fly to Europe. (We've got 10 years to get through primary and achieve more financial freedom - and alot happens in 10 years) This is more for the sake of it than anything else - and cos I can - not to settle any demons. I might even end up having a bit of a chuckle.

Pollyanna has a point I think about family units. One point I tend to touch lightly on is that my wife's family are in North America and so she always expected to be away from family as she can't live there permanently but loves her annual trip. I love the fact we can travel through the US as a stopver as a result as I find elements of the US quite fun - for a short while. I would never have asked her to come to Australia otherwise, frankly. My parents are aging and don't have cars/money etc to manage trips to where we would probably live in the UK in any case so we both sort of 'fled' as refugees if that makes sense, and we quite like doing it alone at times.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

We have been here for nearly two years. My hubby has found it easier to settle than me. I had a bad period of homesickness, and if I had of had the money I would have gone back to the UK again.

It took me a while but I now feel settled and happy here. We had a lovely day sunday, just taking our little boy to the local park, then a bbq in the evening. I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country. I can sit out in the backyard for ages listening to the birds, and looking at the gum trees.

Katie
Old Feb 20th 2007, 2:24 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Once all is said and done, there is not that much difference, in my opinion at least, in life as a working person, between the UK and Aus. If your lucky enough to get a cushy job, sobeit and vice versa, some jobs can be hard. So from a job and wages front there isn't too much difference.

In your second paragraph, you've probably epitomised what every migrant is seeking. Although from my slightly jaded or familiar point of view, I really dont know exactly what that is. I'm used to having unspoilt beaches and natural bush river banks now. I've spent so much time on them in my 26 years here, that the prospect of another one leaves me with, well a feeling of deje-vu.

In my time 23 years in the UK, I never visited Scotland, Cornwall, and most major cities (except for football matches)... The thought of being able to visit Edinburgh or York, or the Lake district is far more exciting than another trip to a sunny empty beach,

I dont want to put anyone off, but life takes us through stages, and I'm at a stage where I want to see what I should have seen before I left the old dart.

There much more to Australia than empty sunny beaches. There is much more to the UK than green countryside and olde worlde villages. There is lots to see in the UK but also heaps to see in Australia too.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
It took me a while but I now feel settled and happy here. We had a lovely day sunday, just taking our little boy to the local park, then a bbq in the evening. I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country. I can sit out in the backyard for ages listening to the birds, and looking at the gum trees.

Katie
Big big smilie symbol..............can I have some of what you are on

I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country. I can sit out in the backyard for ages listening to the birds, and looking at the gum trees.

...............please

now shoot me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sandra
Big big smilie symbol..............can I have some of what you are on

I feel very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country. I can sit out in the backyard for ages listening to the birds, and looking at the gum trees.

...............please

now shoot me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should move to Queensland. Might make you chill out a bit.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 11:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
You should move to Queensland. Might make you chill out a bit.
Nothing chilly about Qld unfortunately, except the feeling I get when I think about going back there next week.......