Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Weekend In Brisbane

Long Weekend In Brisbane

Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice
Default Long Weekend In Brisbane

My girlfriend and I are heading to Brisbane on Friday for a long weekend and although I have a rough plan of what we're going to do, I just wanted to check a couple of things:

1. What's the best way of getting from the airport to the CBD? If public transport isn't so good, how much would a taxi be?

2. Is the night time Brisbane River Dinner Cruise any good? Although it seems a little pricey it looks like it will be worth it.

3. On the Sunday we're hoping to head to a coastal beach via public transport. Is this doable? If so which would be the quickest decent beach to get to and what times would the last bus/train back be?

I've spent the last couple of days trying to get the above info through Google but haven't been very successful! Thanks in advance
Old Jun 27th 2009, 10:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend In Brisbane

1. What time are you arriving in Brisbane? The AirTrain has ludicrous operating hours. If it's finished for the day a taxi to the CBD is about $35. Mind you I think 2 AirTrain tickets is close to $30 so you might as well get the cab door to door anyway.

2. No idea about 2, sorry.

3. Getting to a decent beach on public transport isn't the easiest. Your best bet is probably to get a train to either Helensvale or Robina and a connecting bus to one of the Gold Coast beaches. That's probably going to take at least 90 minutes each way though if connections are kind.....which they often aren't. Personally if I wanted to go to the beach I'd be going for a weekend to the coast (GC or Sunny Coast), not Brisbane.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You could fork out $98 each and go on a whale watching tour: http://www.tangalooma.com/info/day_c...se/default.asp

It is run by Tangalooma Resort which is on Moreton Island in the bay. According to their website passengers leaving from Brisbane (rather than the resort) have some time at the resort as well. It has a lovely beach but not sure what time of day they would bring you there. Not public transport to a beach like you asked but might be a great day out.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MattW82
My girlfriend and I are heading to Brisbane on Friday for a long weekend and although I have a rough plan of what we're going to do, I just wanted to check a couple of things:

1. What's the best way of getting from the airport to the CBD? If public transport isn't so good, how much would a taxi be?

2. Is the night time Brisbane River Dinner Cruise any good? Although it seems a little pricey it looks like it will be worth it.

3. On the Sunday we're hoping to head to a coastal beach via public transport. Is this doable? If so which would be the quickest decent beach to get to and what times would the last bus/train back be?

I've spent the last couple of days trying to get the above info through Google but haven't been very successful! Thanks in advance

My advice to you would be to hire a car. They are as cheap as chips and will make your life a lot easier. For around $200 all up you will get a car. When you consider, it's going to cost you $70 just to get to the airport and back when you arrive, not to mention the cost of travelling around on the other days?

If you had your own car you could spend the day on the Sunshine / Gold Coast which has far better beaches than any within easy reach of Brisbane.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Thanks for the responses. Decided to hire a car on the Sunday to get to the coast as it is indeed cheap at $39 for the day. Didn't hire for the weekend though as parking would be a problem plus we won't really need the car on the other days.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. Decided to hire a car on the Sunday to get to the coast as it is indeed cheap at $39 for the day. Didn't hire for the weekend though as parking would be a problem plus we won't really need the car on the other days.
River cruise is overated and over priced. Personally, I would never do it again...Oh and the food on there is worse than Red Rooster. Go up to Mount Cootha instead. Book a table there
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:16 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of the expensive and very commercial boat trip you thought about why don't you just buy a day ticket (costs about $4 per person) and take the cat all the way up and down the river, stopping somewhere for dinner. The ticket is valid for 24 hours.

The ferries on the river are my favourite part of being in Brisbane; I use them all the time. The cats are fast and it's a great way of seeing the river.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:28 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Instead of the expensive and very commercial boat trip you thought about why don't you just buy a day ticket (costs about $4 per person) and take the cat all the way up and down the river, stopping somewhere for dinner. The ticket is valid for 24 hours.

The ferries on the river are my favourite part of being in Brisbane; I use them all the time. The cats are fast and it's a great way of seeing the river.
+1
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:33 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.translink.com.au for all your public transport options. Bus, train , citycat etc.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

You could pay $29 for day pass, get train into CBD, check in to digs and still use ticket for rest of day including citycats trip up and down river. Best time to be onboard citycat is abour half hour before sunset, have your camera ready.

Play around with this site;

http://jp.translink.com.au/TransLink...;Brisbane+Cbd;[502479:6961532]~~POINT&FromLoc=Brisbane+Domestic+Airport~~+;Brisb ane+Domestic+Airport;[511858:6970890]~~POINT&Vehicle=&Advanced=true&WalkSpeed=67&WalkDi stance=1000&Priority=504;-1&IsAfter=A&JourneyTimeHours=3&JourneyTimeMinutes= 35&JourneyTimeAmPm=PM&Date=3/7/2009&FromRailStation=&FromLandmarkType=&ToRailStat ion=&ToLandmarkType=&PageFrom=&UseTranslink=true

On Saturday buy another daily ticket for the number of zones you want to travel and then use it all day. Trip to Gold Coast would be best done in hire car.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

1. Jump in a taxi. Should cost abot the same as public transport and you can relax after your flight.

2. Never been on it so can't comment.

3. Stay in the city and go to Southbank. Its great round that area on a Sun.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:10 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Rats! I thought by the title that the Government has gazetted another public holiday and forgot to tell anyone......