Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long Time No Post - question about returning resident

Long Time No Post - question about returning resident

Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:02 pm
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold
Default Long Time No Post - question about returning resident

Evening everyone! I haver been an expat member since 2006 but been incactive since 2008.

Brief summary - Moved from Sheffield to Australia back in 2003, returned back to the UK in 2007. I have permanent residency. My mother still lives in Australia. I have since married and have two daughters. I am a police Sergeant and now that I have a family, my outlook on life is different to the one I had when I was younger. I would like to give Aus another try and my wfie said she would try it for a year before making a final decision. The whole concept of starting again is scary so ideally would like to transfer with the police and rent (keeping our property over here until we made a final decision)

Any advice, guidance or tips from anyone would be apprciated!

Thanks
Tom
Old Dec 15th 2020, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Time No Post - question about returning resident

Hi, and welcome back.

Originally Posted by turtletom
I have permanent residency.
Did you get your RRV as advised in your last thread 6 years ago?
Old Dec 18th 2020, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Time No Post - question about returning resident

There is unlikely to be the capacity to "transfer" with the police, it'd be a whole new application and selection process which could take the best part of your trial year and I doubt they are going to be interested if you arent planning on staying forever. If you miraculously do still have a RRV after so long away (you generally only get 5 years if you've done the required residence in the first place so that would have expired in 2012 and subsequent RRVs are usually only a year or less) your wife and kids will also need visas in order to be able to travel with you. I dont think this is going to be as simple as "lets go for a year and find out".