Default Re: Long term plan to get in to OZ

Originally Posted by Nick Gill
PMSL

Im sure there are a few posters that would join
yeah i agree with you there ..
Old Jul 9th 2008, 1:56 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

HI Ace.. that avatar is soooo funny love it..

I often think about changing it cos I've had it for so long but I'm kind of attached to it now.

After all that hard work did it get you a fab job in Oz?..

As far as I am concerned I have a brilliant job. I teach maths and IT in a fantastic school. The surroundings are beautiful, the staff are really friendly and the kids are absolutely wonderful. I am well paid, I get long holidays (almost two months for Christmas) and it only takes me 23 minutes to get to work. I drive over a couple of bridges and quite often see dolphins in the estuary.

that is a llloooonnngg term plan, what kept you going when times got tough

That's very easy to answer the whole time I was 100% focused on living in Oz, I saw all my hard work as a means to an end. There wasn't much spare time but whenever possible I researched every aspect of life in OZ. From the tax system to the schools to the flora and fauna to individual suburb demographics and so on. Anything to do with Oz I read, watched or downloaded. We came over 4 times for long holidays before we made the move and each time I loved it more and more.

Since day one I have felt completely at home and not not had one day of home sickness
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

HI Ace

Thanks for answering my questions . Its great that all that hard work was rewarded and that your life is !!

That will be us one day, feels a long way off at the mo...we would be looking at Perth or Melbourne..for different reasons but only time really will decide along with other things.....anyway thats a different post for me to do ..
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:12 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

HI Ace

Thanks for answering my questions .

No problem

Its great that all that hard work was rewarded and that your life is !!

Yes it was very hard but we have also been very lucky.

That will be us one day, feels a long way off at the mo...we would be looking at Perth or Melbourne..for different reasons but only time really will decide along with other things.....anyway thats a different post for me to do ..

Just keep going you will get here. When it gets really hard and you want to give up just focus on why you wanted to move in the first place and on what you want your live here to be like.

Best of luck
ACE
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ACE
HI Ace

Thanks for answering my questions .

No problem

Its great that all that hard work was rewarded and that your life is !!

Yes it was very hard but we have also been very lucky.

Just keep going you will get here. When it gets really hard and you want to give up just focus on why you wanted to move in the first place and on what you want your live here to be like.

Best of luck
ACE
Hi, I first had the idea over 10 years ago, it then took 5 years to pluck up the courage to actually do something about it and complete a degree and post grad. On the 1st September I will have my 12 months experience and so my application will be submitted on that day. My agent has said it will take about 7 months!
I would say the hardest part is the having a go at the degree, and keeping your eye on that final target! Time will fly (if like me it will pass by in a hazed, knackered blur). Good Luck!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by clarinsred
I would say the hardest part is the having a go at the degree, and keeping your eye on that final target! Time will fly (if like me it will pass by in a hazed, knackered blur). Good Luck!
Looks like i found the right thread here. It's Saturday night and I am trying to put off writing an essay and as usual am wondering if it's all really going to be worth it...

I'm doing a social work degree to have better chances of finding a job once we land in Oz.
We had the idea first in 2002, but it seemed too daunting... (Bad mistake, should have gone BEFORE the kids were born or even planned...oh well). I was unhappy in my job anyway so looked into jobs which would be most likely to be 'transferable' - and of course jobs that I'd be happy in. So social work it was. Just that lacking any work experience I couldn't get onto the degree course which gives you the professional qualification. So I went the loooong way round: doing a BA, some volunteering to get experience that lets me on the MA, now the MA in Social Work. Have got one year left, am planning then to work for about three years to get more points through the work experience criteria and also to save up money, and hopefully lodge an application in 2012.
Only very few of my friends (who know how determined I am) believe that this really is my long-term plan and for years now most people are surprised every single time again that I talk about our emigration plans.
So YAY you're not alone and I'm really happy to read that there are more dreamers out there. Am always slightly embarrassed when I get into a thread, start talking to people on here and they at some point ask the question about our planning stage...
The nice thing is that whenever I am down or frustrated I get to my personal 'happy place' by just imagining what life if going to be once I get there. Oh and of course I know I shouldn't idealise the land of OZ etc, but I have many reasons for wanting to go there so I'm sure I'll be fine. In about 5 years time!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Paula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the roughPaula31 is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Just been reading your thread about long term plans. I posted a few months ago on here wondering how we could get into Australia. I was then a teaching assistant in a secondary school, my oh a window fitter. Neither on MODL.

I was looking at all different ways to get in, contemplating different career moves. I even looked at nursing as this was on the list but my heart wasn't in it (scared of blood). As I have always enjoyed working with children I decided to take the plunge and train as a teacher.

In June I left my job as a teaching assistant and enrolled on an access course at university. I have just passed this and will start my degree course in September. After research I have decided to do an English degree for 3 years and then hopefully progress onto a PGCE for 1 year as this is the most acceptable way to get into Australia.

Even though teaching isn't on the MODL, it is on the SOL and ENSOL and worth 60 points at the moment. I'd sooner be in a career that I know I will enjoy than be in one just for the sake of trying to get into Oz. But its the dream of emigrating that has driven me to do this. After reading posts on here I know it can be achieved with a lot of determination and effort.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Nick Gill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paula31
Hi

Just been reading your thread about long term plans. I posted a few months ago on here wondering how we could get into Australia. I was then a teaching assistant in a secondary school, my oh a window fitter. Neither on MODL.

I was looking at all different ways to get in, contemplating different career moves. I even looked at nursing as this was on the list but my heart wasn't in it (scared of blood). As I have always enjoyed working with children I decided to take the plunge and train as a teacher.

In June I left my job as a teaching assistant and enrolled on an access course at university. I have just passed this and will start my degree course in September. After research I have decided to do an English degree for 3 years and then hopefully progress onto a PGCE for 1 year as this is the most acceptable way to get into Australia.

Even though teaching isn't on the MODL, it is on the SOL and ENSOL and worth 60 points at the moment. I'd sooner be in a career that I know I will enjoy than be in one just for the sake of trying to get into Oz. But its the dream of emigrating that has driven me to do this. After reading posts on here I know it can be achieved with a lot of determination and effort.

I wish you all the luck in the world
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Paula31
Hi

I know what you mean, i would never have gone down the nursing route if my heart wasn't in it..as it happens it is which is lucky for me

I cant wait to get started and get the ball rolling
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:31 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clarinsred
Hi, I first had the idea over 10 years ago, it then took 5 years to pluck up the courage to actually do something about it and complete a degree and post grad. On the 1st September I will have my 12 months experience and so my application will be submitted on that day. My agent has said it will take about 7 months!
Fantastic! well done, best of luck with the application and the move.

ACE
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 11:33 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ianandmel
Looks like i found the right thread here. It's Saturday night and I am trying to put off writing an essay and as usual am wondering if it's all really going to be worth it...

I'm doing a social work degree to have better chances of finding a job once we land in Oz.
We had the idea first in 2002, but it seemed too daunting... (Bad mistake, should have gone BEFORE the kids were born or even planned...oh well). I was unhappy in my job anyway so looked into jobs which would be most likely to be 'transferable' - and of course jobs that I'd be happy in. So social work it was. Just that lacking any work experience I couldn't get onto the degree course which gives you the professional qualification. So I went the loooong way round: doing a BA, some volunteering to get experience that lets me on the MA, now the MA in Social Work. Have got one year left, am planning then to work for about three years to get more points through the work experience criteria and also to save up money, and hopefully lodge an application in 2012.
Only very few of my friends (who know how determined I am) believe that this really is my long-term plan and for years now most people are surprised every single time again that I talk about our emigration plans.
So YAY you're not alone and I'm really happy to read that there are more dreamers out there. Am always slightly embarrassed when I get into a thread, start talking to people on here and they at some point ask the question about our planning stage...
The nice thing is that whenever I am down or frustrated I get to my personal 'happy place' by just imagining what life if going to be once I get there. Oh and of course I know I shouldn't idealise the land of OZ etc, but I have many reasons for wanting to go there so I'm sure I'll be fine. In about 5 years time!

Keep your eye on the prize, it is totally worth it.

Best of luck
ACE
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:27 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Long term plan to get in to OZ

My timeline:

1995 - Decided I wanted to move to Aus, started looking at visa criteria. Started professional accountancy qualification to position myself for skills visa.
1999 - Qualified as (CIPFA) accountant.
2001 - Decided to get on and apply for skills visa. Oops - CIPFA not recognised by Aus accountancy bodies so had to get CIPFA and ICAA talking to each other to get CIPFA syllabus recognised for skills assessment.
2002 - CIPFA recognised by ICAA - got skills assessment and applied for visa.
2003 - Visa granted.
2004 - Validated Feb, emigrated Sept minus 2 daughters who'd reached 16 and 18 respectively by then and gone off the idea of moving to Aus.
2006 - Youngest daughter and grandson emigrated.
2007 - Eldest daughter and son in law emigrated.

There were many dramas and hurdles along the way, but I've finally achieved my dream of living in Aus with my family around me.

Has it been worth it? You bet!!

Stay focused - and remember there are no barriers, only opportunities.

All the best to everyone still going through the process - you will make it if you stick at it.

Elaine M