Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long term plan to get in to OZ

Long term plan to get in to OZ

Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:25 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long term plan to get in to OZ

Originally Posted by Catfucius
How long did it take you to get from ' I want to live in Australia' to 'I'm living in Australia'

My plan is going to take approximately 3/4 years, by coincidence I am going to be training in something that will help the process , and this is key to Australian entry.. hopefully , I know its a long way off and that things can change.....its a long journey..or is it? whats the average? is there an average?
Less than 10 months. First started talking about it in autumn 2005, applied for TRA in October 2005, applied for visa in February 2006, moved to Adelaide in August 2006.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I've wanted to move for 20 years. Think I may be a tad over the average on here lol. Think it'll be 25 years by the time I get there
First plans 1981

Arrived 2004

Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lesleys
First plans 1981

Arrived 2004

Better late than never! thats what i say
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Less than 10 months. First started talking about it in autumn 2005, applied for TRA in October 2005, applied for visa in February 2006, moved to Adelaide in August 2006.
10 months? fair dinkum? ( i just had to get that phrase in cos i love it, love it)

Was it a roller coaster ride for 10 months or plain sailing? ...it seems that folk have to have quite a lot of patience in most cases.. when my times comes i would be prefer it nice and quick as patience isnt on the top of my virtue list!! ten months would do me
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

Hi HereShopping - off soon, lucky you. You must be so excited. Where are you going too?
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

Nick Gill is an unknown quantity at this point

You dont look at day over 25 on your avatar , obviously my avatar shows me squinting in the sun with a bowl on my head but i was having a good hair day .

Whats the Australian for fart? they have their own slang for things , will have to look it up! and make that my official club for over 40's, (obviously there will only be me in it as being a cat im anti social!! ) sorry i told you the madness is a comfort!
Well I couldnt find the Aussie slang word for "fart" but I did find a phrase used for farting loudly in public - A bit more choke and you would have started

Not quite sure that has the ooooomphh required to start a thread for us over 40's
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

is that because you were yearning to go whilst a child and watching skippy? (i loved skippy he/she was my first taste of Australia!)
Skippy was also my first Ozzie experience, seemed so much larger than the ones I saw. Or maybe it was me being smaller back then....
My timescale: the thought in 2005, visa in Jan 2007, hoping to get there 2008/9.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

How long did it take you to get from ' I want to live in Australia' to 'I'm living in Australia'

My plan is going to take approximately 3/4 years, by coincidence I am going to be training in something that will help the process , and this is key to Australian entry.. hopefully , I know its a long way off and that things can change.....its a long journey..or is it? whats the average? is there an average?
Although I'm not actually living in Oz yet, the tickets are booked and I'll be there as of 30th December, just in time for the new year. I first decided that I wanted to move around April this year so all in all it will have been 8 months. I am in an extremely fortunate position of having an Australian girlfriend however so getting a visa isn't a problem.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 2:38 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an old fart got my degree in nursing but had a slight accident so am not nursing any more.

However I'm in Oz as a dependent of the OH on a 457 sitting here watching the sun glint off the sea, and that's just in my living room
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Gill
Well I couldnt find the Aussie slang word for "fart" but I did find a phrase used for farting loudly in public - A bit more choke and you would have started

Not quite sure that has the ooooomphh required to start a thread for us over 40's
,, yeah the chokers club?? sounds like a bondage scene ..'before you croak it come over to us and choke it?'...god thats terrible , LOL
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by asher
I'm an old fart got my degree in nursing but had a slight accident so am not nursing any more.

However I'm in Oz as a dependent of the OH on a 457 sitting here watching the sun glint off the sea, and that's just in my living room

ooooooohhhh Asher is that as good as it sounds
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:10 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hows this for a plan.
First talked about moving to Oz with our son in 2000 we didn't qualify so I decided to go to Uni. At the time IT professionals were very much in demand.

2000-2001 did uni entrance course in IT
2001-2004 went to uni, did BSc hons degree in Computing
2003 10 days before 2nd year 1st semester finals gave birth to second son then sat and passed exams
2004 graduated
2004-2005 went to another uni did Post Grad Cert Ed
2005 -2006 worked for 1 year as a newly qualified teacher
2006 moved to Oz.
Meanwhile hubby discovered that he only needed to do an NVQ 4 to meet the criteria for permanent residency which he did. So after all that we didn't even come in on my qualifications.

It was a really hard 5 years but no regrets though I love my job and I love my life

Visa timeline below.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ACE
Hows this for a plan.
First talked about moving to Oz with our son in 2000 we didn't qualify so I decided to go to Uni. At the time IT professionals were very much in demand.

2000-2001 did uni entrance course in IT
2001-2004 went to uni, did BSc hons degree in Computing
2003 10 days before 2nd year 1st semester finals gave birth to second son then sat and passed exams
2004 graduated
2004-2005 went to another uni did Post Grad Cert Ed
2005 -2006 worked for 1 year as a newly qualified teacher
2006 moved to Oz.
Meanwhile hubby discovered that he only needed to do an NVQ 4 to meet the criteria for permanent residency which he did. So after all that we didn't even come in on my qualifications.

It was a really hard 5 years but no regrets though I love my job and I love my life

Visa timeline below.
HI Ace.. that avatar is soooo funny love it..

After all that hard work did it get you a fab job in Oz?.. that is a llloooonnngg term plan, what kept you going when times got tough?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

10 months? fair dinkum? ( i just had to get that phrase in cos i love it, love it)

Was it a roller coaster ride for 10 months or plain sailing? ...it seems that folk have to have quite a lot of patience in most cases.. when my times comes i would be prefer it nice and quick as patience isnt on the top of my virtue list!! ten months would do me
It was pretty much plain sailing. Both my husband and I are fairly even keel types. We're not fazed by much so it wasn't like an obsession with either of us until near the end. Even then it was more a sense of wanting to get things done on our very strict schedule. (we had to fly before our daughter's 12th birthday in order to save money on flights) We got our visa on our son's 10th birthday and flew out 16 hours before your daughter's 12th birthday.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

Nick Gill is an unknown quantity at this point

,, yeah the chokers club?? sounds like a bondage scene ..'before you croak it come over to us and choke it?'...god thats terrible , LOL
PMSL

Im sure there are a few posters that would join

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.