Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Long stay Visa 457

Long stay Visa 457

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:59 am
Geelong October!!!!

Codgob is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Long stay Visa 457

Ok,recieved my job offer and contract today along with visa application,all is well,Sponsorship form attached,dependant letter,but where do I send the b****y form to,it says Consulate,so is that the one in London?
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

If your sponsoring company have received the approval to sponsor you from the DIMIA and have attached that letter then you send the application form, sponsorship letter, and other documents required to your local Australian embassy / consulate.

If London is the closest one then you send it there.

You will need a chest X-ray and the authorised Dr will send the chest X-ray directly to the Embassy (you don't send it yourself).

Welcome to the Wonderful World of 457 Visa Exploitation (9:06pm and still in the office for another hour)
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I am also in the process of applying for a 457 temp resident visa. My employer is just waiting for approval, and then I will be able to lodge my application at the AHC in London.

What do you mean by 457 exploitation? Is this type of visa abused?

Also, the AHC website lists the review time as 3 weeks. I assume that this is the time they take to review your 457 visa application (along with the DIMIA employer sponsorship/nomination). Does anyone know whether this 3 weeks is realistic, or have people been waiting longer for their visa's?

Cheers,
Keith.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 6:54 pm
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I sent my 457 visa application to London on thursday, should have got to them by 1pm Friday. I understand that the process time is 3 weeks. I sent our passports with the application. I am just waiting to hear about going for the medicals. I would imagine that we should hear next weeks at the latest. I then asume that we should hear the following week if we have the visa. Flying out to perth 11th October.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

What do you mean by 457 exploitation? Is this type of visa abused?
Yes - Employers take FULL advantage of the fact that you are totally dependent on them for not only your job but your residency in Australia.

You are bullied into submission with constant references to how much trouble / money etc. it has cost them to bring you over and if you object to doing anything / anyone there are thinly veiled threats about sending you home.

You feel compelled to work harder and longer hours than anyone else in the office to keep your place in the sun.

I can't wait for our Permanent Resident visas to be issued. I plan to resign the very same day.

A 457 is not the course of action I would recommend to anyone. Rather be patient and wait in the UK until you have your PR's and then come over and get a jon on your OWN terms.

:lecture:
Old Jun 24th 2003, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Sunlover,

Thats interested info. Unfortunately that ship has already sailed for me, and the process has already begun! I suppose i'll just have to be careful when I'm out there. I don't intend to lodge my PR application asap.

Carolerussell: let me know how your application goes. It would be a useful reference point for my 457 application.

Cheers,
Keith.