Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Long Drive from Brisbane to cairns

The Long Drive from Brisbane to cairns

Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Long Drive from Brisbane to cairns

Have done this drive before and its fun. However, its not as bad as you might think or as "outback" as some portrayed. Mostly the Bruce Highway is decentish road, long and fast. Some great scenery but it does mean being a car for long stretches.

We planned our route with stop offs via the lonely planet guide and it held is in good stead. You'll find plenty of servos and places to stop and take a breather. Just remember that its not 5 star resorts all the way and gets a bit "local" in some parts if you get my drift. Thats most of the fun.

Its a fun drive and mobile phone coverage is usually excellent. Oh - and dont just drive from Cairns south - take the hour up to Port Douglas first. Its nice up there and the Daintree is worth taking in. Do spend some time in say Airle beach and the Whitsundays too.

I'd avoid the wet season, as once off the Bruce Highway there is a reason why you see flood level markers in certain dips in the road!

You can hire a car for pick up in Cairns and drop off in Brisbane. Better someone elses car takes the hit for the km's than your own Get something like a Falcon or Commodore rather than an econ choice. Bags of room and nicer to drive a V6 those sort of distances with cruise control on.

No doubt you'll love it. We have found memories of our first trip doing that.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:47 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lee&Jade
hi there,
we did this in nov 05 and it was awsome. Just be aware that as the sun goes down the kangeroos become active, we didnt know this and very nearly hit a couple at 110 km, bloody massive things. take care.
Lee and jade
I was just goin to say that about the roo's....always try and drive in daylight...they r big buggas up here. Also make sure you tune into the local radio stations on ur way up, they will keep u up to speed with the weather etc. Have a safe trip and have fun......motels etc are cheap and basic but thats all you need. Come into Yeppoon on your way up I will make ye a cuppa
Old Mar 13th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Hotashell is an unknown quantity at this point

thx might take you up on that cuppa
whats the weather like in 3 weeks time ?
Old Mar 13th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hotashell
Heavy rain in the SE corner causing extensive flooding of the Mary river. Bruce Highway closed indefinitely at Gympie.

Far north - fine and sunny with the roads flowing freely

WW
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:16 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

I live close to Tully and Polly is correct we have had a lot of rain recently and the road was flooded but that was about a month ago. It takes HEAPS of rain for the road to get flooded so it is only happens a couple times a year. The rain seems to have eased for now, although raining in the night, you need a good two days of solid rain for the road to get flooded so you should be safe.

If you do find the road is flooded they would generally stop you in Cardwell anyway and you will have the facilities there like a bed, food, doctor etc. So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The highway is pretty good and quite heavily populated from Brisbane up to around Bundaberg then it does go a bit sparse until Rocky then a long stretch from Rocky to Mackay without much in between, I think this one is the worse bit of the drive. There are plenty of free stops though and you will always find someone at them along the way. From Mackay up you will find plenty of places to stop off, Proserpine, Bowen, Ayr, Townsville, Ingham, Tully, Innisfail, Babinda, Gordonvale, Cairns all spaced quite evenly out and all have facilities for a cuppa and something to eat - approx 1/2 hr between them although some might be close and others slightly further apart.

We drove from Tully to Sunshine Coast in a couple of days and apart from the that long stretch it is no major drama.

RACQ is a must though as you seriously don't want to be stuck in a town for too long having to repair your car or having to arrange a tow to the nearest town.

Make sure you car has had a good service beforehand, carry spare tyre and the usual crap you may need for a quick break down. Carry drinks and a bit of food as well. No need for a satellite phone although it would be ideal they are very very costly (mine cost $1500 and never been used to this day) as like I said you can generally find someone at free stops. I would however buy a cheap UHF radio you can get a hand held one for in the car at very little expense and you will find that more useful. Keep it on channel 18 so you can hear the truck drivers, they let you know of any police speed checks along the way and if you do get into trouble you can call them on the radio and they would be more than willing to help you with a pregnant wife. Warning you though if you have kids watch the volume as their language gets rather colourful at times....but it was good entertainment

Sasha
Old Mar 13th 2007, 9:38 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hotashell
weather should be getting dryer and be in the high 20's. Be careful on the roads if you are driving over the Easter break they are very very busy