London Olympic Games 2012

London Olympic Games 2012

Old Jul 7th 2005, 9:27 am
HMM
HMM

HMM is on a distinguished road
Default Re: London Olympic Games 2012

Originally Posted by fraser
Sorry I'm confused I'm talking about living in Stratford which is where the games are which is two miles from Upton Park, which begs the question what the hell are you talking about
Villa Park is one of the venues during Olympics. Witton, Aston, Birmingham.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 9:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scossie
I reckon that's a special case though.
The reason so many Scots support The team playing England at football is because of the English media!

They constantly drone on with this hilarious misconception that the other teams may as well not turn up cos it's all a matter of, "Who are we going to beat in the final".
With one exception, (And the media constantly bore everyone to sleep about that as well) England have never even been in a final!

The press & TV though, continually churn out constant pompous self congratulating guff about England whenever there's a major football competition.
All this is seen in Scotland, so it should come as no surprise that when England inevitably get put out, the Scots aren't exactly slitting their wrists & jumping off buildings!

Scots freely admit that our international football team are woeful at the moment, (and have been for some time).
England have an average to good team, but certainly not the all conquering heroes that the media would have us believe.

Big difference.
I find the football thing just a bit sad. Not sure what excuses there are for some of the other anti English sentiments lingering in some Scots. Is it still Thatcher or are we a convenient scapegoat? Maybe we can just blame John Motson.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 9:53 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Not sure what excuses there are for some of the other anti English sentiments lingering in some Scots.
Maybe it's cos you lot kept trying to invade our country for about 1000 years!

And Jimmy Hill...

Must say BP, I enjoyed our wee bit of informed discussion on this subject, but the events in London yesterday sadly put things into perspective.
At least now the Scots & English are friendly rivals, & don't resort to the cowardly tactics employed by those scum!!!
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:03 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

And Jimmy Hill...

Must say BP, I enjoyed our wee bit of informed discussion on this subject, but the events in London yesterday sadly put things into perspective.
At least now the Scots & English are friendly rivals, & don't resort to the cowardly tactics employed by those scum!!!

Ive got to agree with that Scossie, its not often us Scots feel British but I sure did yesterday. That was our homeland whether we are Scots, Welsh, Irish or English.
I'm sure as soon as someone mentions 1966 I'll be back to normal.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:06 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Ive got to agree with that Scossie, its not often us Scots feel British but I sure did yesterday. That was our homeland whether we are Scots, Welsh, Irish or English.
PMSL!!!

I did smirk at the PM when you muttered something about this feeling personal because its "our homeland"

What was that about world cups and how many???
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:16 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

And Jimmy Hill...

Agreed.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:44 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

That was our homeland whether we are Scots, Welsh, Irish or English.
Cheers Bill...
But we just can't stop ourselves, can we?
Cunningly leaving, "English" to last on the list, you wee Devil...
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:38 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Ah Bordy do you realise that West Ham won the world cup in '66
Old Jul 8th 2005, 11:57 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

You need to stop smoking that stuff Fraser.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:02 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

You need to stop smoking that stuff Fraser.
Ah but we did all four goals, viva Bobby Moore

I was also there when Gazza scored against you at Euro '96
Old Jul 8th 2005, 12:23 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

This is getting ridiculous!!

As everyone knows, we Scots invented just about everything, including The World Cup!

Sir Thomas Lipton, (from Glasgow) organised and funded the first ever football World Cup in 1909
The first comp' was held in Italy & was won by West Auckland, (from Co Durham), twice.

I've seen the cup. It's in The West Auckland Club. Sadly, it's a replica cos the original got stolen from the club, but it's one of the most impressive trophies you'll ever see! It's nearly 3 feet tall.

And before all you English say that means England have won it 3 times, West Auckland represented GB, not England, when they won it...

Think I've opened a can of worms here.....

Anyway.... Here's the link.... http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpo...9/worldcup.htm

Last edited by Scossie; Jul 8th 2005 at 12:26 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:27 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it a good thing for London that they have got the Olympics in 2012?

For the business owners, politicians, tv networks etc yes it will be big business.

For the thousands of people who will have to endure years of delayed construction works and spend the next twenty years forking out more taxes to pay for it I don't think so.

The sad fact is that a large number of prestige projects both public and private inevitably end up running many times over budget and never get completed on time.

The Millenium Dome, Wembley Stadium, the World Athletics Championships at Picketts Lock, the Concorde Museum at Bristol which may not go ahead as it is now expected to cost 3 times the original estimate, the list goes on.....

The government has a habit of trumpeting the benefits of regeneration projects. Lard (oops I mean Lord) Falconer, speaking at the annual lunch of the Society of Construction Law in January 2000, said about the Millennium Dome:

"The Dome is something we can all be proud of. It has contributed to the regeneration of East London; it has brought a derelict, brownfield site back into use; it has led to the development of a new transport system for the centre and east of London; it has led to the creation of the Greenwich Millennium Village and... it has done all of this without using a penny of taxpayer's money."

The success of the regeneration of an area is measured on whether it's economic and cultural base is revitalised but the Greenwich/Dome Area now resembles little more than one large, empty car park with its own, underused Tube station.

With the Olympics however, unlike the farce over the cost overruns for the World Athletics Championships stadium at Picketts Lock, there will be no option to pull out. For those who don't remember this particular disaster, plans to build a 43,000-seater stadium were scrapped following a review which said that the original £87m scheme would cost significantly more. In a now all too familiar strain, Ken Livingstone said in 2001, "I am confident that the stadium will boost London's international status and provide regeneration opportunities to the Lee Valley.

Now that London's Olympic bid has been successful, the UK will be locked into paying whatever it costs to be ready on time, because under the rules of bidding, the International Olympic Committee insists that host cities underwrite all liabilities of the Games

And of course all the figures for extra council tax etc. assume that the project will come in on budget.According to the Auditor-General of New South Wales, Sydney 2000 ended up costing over twice the pre-bid figures. In Athens, total costs will be at least four times as high as the bid committee's initial budget. It is worth remembering that twelve months before the Commonwealth Games in Manchester, the government needed to provide an emergency cash injection of £105m.

And after yesterday's atrocity in London what about security, in Athens they originally budgeted 4.6 billion Euros to stage the games, they ended up spending 1.2 billion on security and the total cost was still being tallied up by the Greek Finance Ministry in June this year having reached a record 11 billion Euros.

The total cost, inflated by chronic delays, massive security and cost overruns, derailed Greece's budget targets, prompting a warning from the EU. Last year, Greece's deficit reached 6.1% of gross domestic product, more than double the limit set by the EU for eurozone countries. As a result of the budget crisis the Greek government slashed public spending and hiked VAT in an effort to comply with EU rules by the end of next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

NSW taxpayers are contributing about $46 million a year to keep struggling Olympic venues across Sydney open, four years after the "best ever" Games.
The planned level of profits for the 2012 games is only £100 million on an investment of over £4 billion (and that is without factoring in the effect on security costs of yesterday's events). As can be seen right now with Wembly Stadium, £100 million can easily be lost due to the construction problems alone.

The forthcoming Olympics Bill, will confirm the Chancellor's promise of a massive tax subsidy to the International Olympic Committee, so their profits and expenses will not be liable for UK tax. Any cost overruns will be financed by the UK Treasury, who will then claw the money back from the London Council Tax payers and the National Lottery

And if you look closely at the Olympic Bill being passed through Parliament there is a substantial part(s) of it designed soley to protect profits of big money sponsors.

One of the bill's key measures states:

It will meet the requirements of the International Olympic Committee to effectively reduce ambush marketing, eliminate street vending and control advertising during Games time.

Remember that the "Olympic venues" include not just the proposed stadium site in East London, but also public spaces such as Trafalgar Square, Horseguards Parade etc., the 26 miles of streets for the Marathon course, and the miles of countryside and seaside for the equestrian and sailing events.

There have already been cases in the UK and elsewhere at sporting events where spectators have been prevented from entering because of wearing clothing by an arch rival to the main sponsor, or being prevented from bringing in Coke because Pepsi are sponsoring the event (last three paragraphs of http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003...00/2768291.stm)

Still think it's good news for your average resident of the United Kingdom that London has won the bid...................
Old Jul 8th 2005, 1:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Is it a good thing for London that they have got the Olympics in 2012?

For the business owners, politicians, tv networks etc yes it will be big business.

For the thousands of people who will have to endure years of delayed construction works and spend the next twenty years forking out more taxes to pay for it I don't think so.

The sad fact is that a large number of prestige projects both public and private inevitably end up running many times over budget and never get completed on time.

The Millenium Dome, Wembley Stadium, the World Athletics Championships at Picketts Lock, the Concorde Museum at Bristol which may not go ahead as it is now expected to cost 3 times the original estimate, the list goes on.....

The government has a habit of trumpeting the benefits of regeneration projects. Lard (oops I mean Lord) Falconer, speaking at the annual lunch of the Society of Construction Law in January 2000, said about the Millennium Dome:

"The Dome is something we can all be proud of. It has contributed to the regeneration of East London; it has brought a derelict, brownfield site back into use; it has led to the development of a new transport system for the centre and east of London; it has led to the creation of the Greenwich Millennium Village and... it has done all of this without using a penny of taxpayer's money."

The success of the regeneration of an area is measured on whether it's economic and cultural base is revitalised but the Greenwich/Dome Area now resembles little more than one large, empty car park with its own, underused Tube station.

With the Olympics however, unlike the farce over the cost overruns for the World Athletics Championships stadium at Picketts Lock, there will be no option to pull out. For those who don't remember this particular disaster, plans to build a 43,000-seater stadium were scrapped following a review which said that the original £87m scheme would cost significantly more. In a now all too familiar strain, Ken Livingstone said in 2001, "I am confident that the stadium will boost London's international status and provide regeneration opportunities to the Lee Valley.

Now that London's Olympic bid has been successful, the UK will be locked into paying whatever it costs to be ready on time, because under the rules of bidding, the International Olympic Committee insists that host cities underwrite all liabilities of the Games

And of course all the figures for extra council tax etc. assume that the project will come in on budget.According to the Auditor-General of New South Wales, Sydney 2000 ended up costing over twice the pre-bid figures. In Athens, total costs will be at least four times as high as the bid committee's initial budget. It is worth remembering that twelve months before the Commonwealth Games in Manchester, the government needed to provide an emergency cash injection of £105m.

And after yesterday's atrocity in London what about security, in Athens they originally budgeted 4.6 billion Euros to stage the games, they ended up spending 1.2 billion on security and the total cost was still being tallied up by the Greek Finance Ministry in June this year having reached a record 11 billion Euros.

The total cost, inflated by chronic delays, massive security and cost overruns, derailed Greece's budget targets, prompting a warning from the EU. Last year, Greece's deficit reached 6.1% of gross domestic product, more than double the limit set by the EU for eurozone countries. As a result of the budget crisis the Greek government slashed public spending and hiked VAT in an effort to comply with EU rules by the end of next year.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?oneclick=true

The planned level of profits for the 2012 games is only £100 million on an investment of over £4 billion (and that is without factoring in the effect on security costs of yesterday's events). As can be seen right now with Wembly Stadium, £100 million can easily be lost due to the construction problems alone.

The forthcoming Olympics Bill, will confirm the Chancellor's promise of a massive tax subsidy to the International Olympic Committee, so their profits and expenses will not be liable for UK tax. Any cost overruns will be financed by the UK Treasury, who will then claw the money back from the London Council Tax payers and the National Lottery

And if you look closely at the Olympic Bill being passed through Parliament there is a substantial part(s) of it designed soley to protect profits of big money sponsors.

One of the bill's key measures states:

It will meet the requirements of the International Olympic Committee to effectively reduce ambush marketing, eliminate street vending and control advertising during Games time.

Remember that the "Olympic venues" include not just the proposed stadium site in East London, but also public spaces such as Trafalgar Square, Horseguards Parade etc., the 26 miles of streets for the Marathon course, and the miles of countryside and seaside for the equestrian and sailing events.

There have already been cases in the UK and elsewhere at sporting events where spectators have been prevented from entering because of wearing clothing by an arch rival to the main sponsor, or being prevented from bringing in Coke because Pepsi are sponsoring the event (last three paragraphs of http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/cwc2003...00/2768291.stm)

Still think it's good news for your average resident of the United Kingdom that London has won the bid...................
Yes
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 3:30 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4168658.stm

Olympic stadiums' uncertain future
By Richard Galpin
BBC News, Athens

It took three days before Greek authorities granted us permission to visit the Olympic site.

But when we reached the security post at the back entrance we were not allowed any further and we had to wait for our police escort to arrive.
As we followed the flashing blue lights, the initial dominant image was row upon row of high-security fencing.

But this was not the Green Zone in Baghdad we were entering. It was a large complex of Olympic venues built for last year's Athens games on the coast overlooking the warm waters of the Saronic Gulf.

Last August, these venues were the centre of world attention as some of the greatest athletes battled for medals in front of the crowds and television cameras.

One year on they stand idle, under lock and key - silent concrete monuments rising incongruously from the runway of what used to be the city's old airport.

They also stand as testaments to the building frenzy in the months leading up to the opening ceremony.

This ultimately succeeded in making the games look good for the global television audience, but less so for those who were actually here - certainly for the spectators who came to this vast, desolate, incomplete complex.

According to official documents the six venues built on this site known as Hellinikon cost almost $330m.

But since the Games they have only been used for the occasional concert, exhibition or sports event.

The public have for the most part been shut out of these and almost all the other Olympic venues for the past 12 months.

It is now becoming painfully obvious that the Greek government made more than just the one fundamental error of leaving the preparations for the Olympics too late.

It also failed to put together any coherent plan for the future use of almost 30 purpose-built venues after the Olympic band-wagon rolled out of town.

A senior government official once admitted to me that the only plan he had seen prior to the Games simply had "conference centre" marked next to a list of almost every facility.

To make matters worse, the authorities failed to see the wisdom of constructing temporary venues for some sports, as previous Olympic host cities have done.

Everything in Athens is set in concrete, even the facilities for sports which are of minimal interest to the average Greek, such as baseball, softball and hockey.

These are three of the immaculate stadiums now standing idle at the Hellinikon complex.

They are top quality buildings each and every one.

At the baseball stadium the sprinklers pump out gallons of water every day to keep the grass in perfect condition.

But the bright blue plastic seats are all empty and nobody knows when or if they will ever be filled again.

"I feel mad," says Liana Kanelli, a Communist member of parliament. "My government asks us to pay 100 million euros ($121m) per year from our taxes (to maintain the Olympic venues) and I don't use them, I don't see them, I don't go there as a viewer or as an athlete.

"Nobody uses them and nobody tells you what's going to happen next year. Wouldn't you get mad?"

It was only in June that parliament passed a bill, called the sustainable development and social utilisation of the Olympic facilities bill , to enshrine in law how they can be used.

For some facilities there are now clear plans.

Apart from holding top athletics competitions, the main Olympic stadium will be used by two football clubs and the adjacent media centre will be turned into museums of sport.

Other venues will be converted into arts academies, golf courses, parks and conference centres.

Olympic finances

The private sector has already been invited to bid for long-term leases for three venues and officials say tenders will be put out for seven more this year.

But the plans remain vague for many facilities including those at the Hellinikon complex.

For five of the six venues, the only uses beyond sport are "cultural events, public dining areas, commercial stores and commercial exhibitions."

The city certainly needed more arenas, but not dozens more.

The uncertain fate of the venues is fuelling public unease about the financial burden of hosting the Olympics.

The total bill including the upgrading of public transport systems is now put at $15bn, three times the original estimate.
Greece is facing difficulties with its budget deficit which shot up to double the permitted level for countries using the euro as their currency.

It must bring the deficit under control next year.

"We spent 13bn euros to hold the Games," says Communist MP Liana Kanelli.

"We are left with a very good image, but it's very expensive and the price is going to be paid by the next generation or the one after, our grandsons and granddaughters. This is a Greek tragedy."

But government officials insist it was all worthwhile.

"It would have been worth it even if the cost had been double what we paid," says Spyros Cladas, who goes by the Orwellian title of General Secretary of Olympic Utilisation.

"The benefits were material with new infrastructure, but also (the Olympics) gave Greece a new identity and better recognition."

That is certainly true in the sense that many around the world doubted whether Greece could organise a successful Olympics.

But the population is still waiting for the tangible return on its huge collective investment beyond the improved public transport system in Athens.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/4168658.stm

Published: 2005/08/20 14:48:04 GMT

© BBC MMV