Locked threads

Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:42 pm
kong

Default Locked threads

Open letter to JAJ

Jeremy

I feel that this forum has of late lost its appeal to myself and many posters, It seems that debate is no longer allowed and this forum is merely a sounding board for mis informed British immigrants in waiting. If people disagree on whether OZ is great, average or crap, then surely that is good??

I have noticed that since you took over the reigns from PTlabs you have closed threads which contain no insults or personal threats of violence, simply disagreement. Surely we do not need to be censored like primary school children.

I like many I suspect used to find the Australia/NZ forum entertaining and informative, now it it just starry eyed wannabee ex pats talking about rain in England and other such nonsense.

I conclude, by saying that maybe you should ask PTlabs for some guidence on how to be firm but fair and not strangle an entertaining forum into a sounding board for half baked ideas on OZ from POMS who would do well to listen to the realities of daily life in Australia. Sure if an idiot like WBB starts threatening to kill women, because he disagrees with them, lock the thread and ban the pratt.

I am not trying to be get your back up JAJ. I just felt something needed to be said. This used to be a great forum, please dont kill it.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:08 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Locked threads

Hey Kong

Glad you're back, kinda missed ya.

First off I hope you are not referring to me as a mis informed British immigrant coz I aint. In fact I would say I am well informed.

Secondly I agree with the thread carry on, it has become dull of late, bring on the debate.

Thirdly although I agree about the rain in UK because it's crap it's no different to your patter about the weather in Oz and the effects on skin etc etc, so no argument there then.

And you not gonna wish me well as I've been granted my visa today? I can now write about the dark side you so often refer to.

Walla
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:18 pm
kong

Originally Posted by walla1
Hey Kong

Glad you're back, kinda missed ya.

First off I hope you are not referring to me as a mis informed British immigrant coz I aint. In fact I would say I am well informed.

Secondly I agree with the thread carry on, it has become dull of late, bring on the debate.

Thirdly although I agree about the rain in UK because it's crap it's no different to your patter about the weather in Oz and the effects on skin etc etc, so no argument there then.

And you not gonna wish me well as I've been granted my visa today? I can now write about the dark side you so often refer to.

Walla

Congratulations on the visa walla, I mean it, must be a weight of your shoulders.

I was not referring to yourself, you never shy away from debate and are not one of those posters that hurl insults at me. You accept that I did not like Oz and do not attack me because of it. The thread locking issue is not healthy for this forum, just because I think a lot of rose tinted crap is posted, does not mean I want to see it censored. If anything I get a good laugh out of the bull written about the UK and Australia here. Why then are certain people so keen to see me and other posters silenced?? After all they can ignore me if I upset them that much.

It is not only my posts that get closed. Jad and Rich (who are Aussies living in QLD) get their posts shut down too. All they are stating is that Australia is not perfect and has much of the rubbish that the POM immos are fleeing UK for.

It just seems that with no negeative/reality check posts aginst the starry eyed/holiday brochure image OZ, this forum will cease to have any credibility.

Last edited by kong; Aug 19th 2004 at 7:20 pm.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:28 pm
togooff&things

Red face Re: Locked threads

Originally Posted by kong
Open letter to JAJ

Jeremy

I feel that this forum has of late lost its appeal to myself and many posters, It seems that debate is no longer allowed and this forum is merely a sounding board for mis informed British immigrants in waiting. If people disagree on whether OZ is great, average or crap, then surely that is good??

I have noticed that since you took over the reigns from PTlabs you have closed threads which contain no insults or personal threats of violence, simply disagreement. Surely we do not need to be censored like primary school children.

I like many I suspect used to find the Australia/NZ forum entertaining and informative, now it it just starry eyed wannabee ex pats talking about rain in England and other such nonsense.

I conclude, by saying that maybe you should ask PTlabs for some guidence on how to be firm but fair and not strangle an entertaining forum into a sounding board for half baked ideas on OZ from POMS who would do well to listen to the realities of daily life in Australia. Sure if an idiot like WBB starts threatening to kill women, because he disagrees with them, lock the thread and ban the pratt.

I am not trying to be get your back up JAJ. I just felt something needed to be said. This used to be a great forum, please dont kill it.

I think it's good to have both sides of the coin - and for things possitive and negitive to be discussed - BUT must you inject negitivity into people's threads that just want time to look at the silver side of the rain cloud? Sometimes people who are having their own doubts and and stresses look to threads to share feelings of hope, sometimes just to help that day seem a little less bleak. Most of us are pretty realistic really about the "no bed of roses" life in Oz, after all it's still life......which can both suck and blow at the same time occasionally! But when good people are seeking comfort, support or advice from each other, who are you to make people even more stressed and miserable about life. Discuss all things negitive by all means but can you not do it in your own threads so like minded people can join in, rather than placing downers on everyone else's day?

Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:51 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Kong, I actually agree with you, despite all of our bickering (you know you love me, really ) It has got SO dull recently. I log on in the mornings, and there is, quite frankly, nuthin' doin'! I have nothing interesting to conribute, but enjoy reading the posts.....but........

Lucy
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:07 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Open letter to JAJ

Jeremy

Totally agree with you, Kong, on this one, the threads have become "a little dull" lately and the interesting ones do get locked or moved very quickly!!

Paul J
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:11 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is the first time I've ever agreed with you Kong.

Forum's pretty dull at the moment.

Paul.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:14 pm
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Locked threads

Bring back WBB I say!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:16 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the visa walla, I mean it, must be a weight of your shoulders.

I was not referring to yourself, you never shy away from debate and are not one of those posters that hurl insults at me. You accept that I did not like Oz and do not attack me because of it. The thread locking issue is not healthy for this forum, just because I think a lot of rose tinted crap is posted, does not mean I want to see it censored. If anything I get a good laugh out of the bull written about the UK and Australia here. Why then are certain people so keen to see me and other posters silenced?? After all they can ignore me if I upset them that much.

It is not only my posts that get closed. Jad and Rich (who are Aussies living in QLD) get their posts shut down too. All they are stating is that Australia is not perfect and has much of the rubbish that the POM immos are fleeing UK for.

It just seems that with no negeative/reality check posts aginst the starry eyed/holiday brochure image OZ, this forum will cease to have any credibility.
Kong i to have had my disagreements with you but i am all for free speech. My gripe with you is that even though you dont like Australia free speech also allows people to put down in words their hopes & dreams. Wether you feel these hopes & dreams are nonsense is irrelevant.

People have as much right to hope for better as you do to tell your side.

Mr Madsad.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with most of the sentiments here.

We all have our opinions and, I believe, the right to express them.

If that is not toeing the party line then I will leave the rest of you to get on with it as it no longer holds any interest for me.

I have already reduced the number of posts I make as most of it now seems pretty dull.I find little of substance at the moment.
I think locking Jayr's (quite legitimate) thread on Drugs was completely unnecessary and I do not know whose purpose it served.
I only intend to post on subjects that interest me in future.

Whether I post or not may not bother most of you but I am simply giving my opinion.

G
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:29 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by togooff&things
BUT must you inject negitivity into people's threads that just want time to look at the silver side of the rain cloud?
You mean like this?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:57 pm
kong

Originally Posted by lucyb
Kong, I actually agree with you, despite all of our bickering (you know you love me, really ) It has got SO dull recently. I log on in the mornings, and there is, quite frankly, nuthin' doin'! I have nothing interesting to conribute, but enjoy reading the posts.....but........

Lucy
Hello Lucy, you should'nt have been to quick to moan about me so much when you first joined. Without conflicting views a forum suddenly turns as boring as Saturday night in an Aussie pub.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:59 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Lucy, you should'nt have been to quick to moan about me so much when you first joined. Without conflicting views a forum suddenly turns as boring as Saturday night in an Aussie pub.
mmmm....but have you been to my local in Angmering?!
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:03 pm
kong

Originally Posted by lucyb
mmmm....but have you been to my local in Angmering?!
No but I will state this,

My Uk town in home counties pop 30000 pubs 28(on any night of week will have locals in)

Sydney suburb I lived in pop 50000 3 bad excuses for a pub, an RSL and a "workers" club with people playing "pokies" in a brightly light souless box.

Exciting place Aus

Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:09 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

What would you know about Saturday night in an Aussie pub? Nothing, so have a nice day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.