Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Load of old rubbish in the sales then!

Load of old rubbish in the sales then!

Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Load of old rubbish in the sales then!

It's been raining for what seems like an eternity here so the kids were going stir crazy being cooped up so we decided to trek up to Merry-Hill shopping centre (mad?):scared:

Nope, it was ok really, we were amazed to get a parking space straight away and off we toddled into the centre heading straight for Next armed with xmas vouchers to spend, spend, spend!

What a load of old tosh there was on the rails! They must store this rubbish up all year and throw it out at the end of the year hoping some poor unsuspecting sucker will buy it! Not one decent thing could we find despite elbowing my way through the crowds and rummaging amongst the over-crowded rails! Even the knicker section was naff (only minute thongs left...can't do them anymore...two kiddies down the line I put the female form into disrepute when I wear them!)

So, totally peed off we went to McDonalds instead...mmmm very nice and healthy!!

Has anyone actually managed to bag a bargain yet?
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Did Ok in Geelong,bought a PS2 for $198 and a couple of games for $49 all top titles,bought from Myers so quite happy.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracey,

Even as a shopaholic I dont understand how people can face the shops this soon after xmas, I feel like I've done nothing else but shop since October and am happy to give them a wide berth for a few weeks!Even the prospect of a bargain cant tempt me!

Managed to avoid Merry Hell completely this year as Brum finally has some decent shops!

Michaela
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by mcmercer
Tracey,

Even as a shopaholic I dont understand how people can face the shops this soon after xmas, I feel like I've done nothing else but shop since October and am happy to give them a wide berth for a few weeks!Even the prospect of a bargain cant tempt me!

Managed to avoid Merry Hell completely this year as Brum finally has some decent shops!

Michaela
Hi Michaela

Haven't attempted Brum yet 'cause the thought of doing it with a pushchair and a 4 year old in tow with all those escalators didn't seem a good idea to me!!!
I didn't know why we bothered with Merry Hill, I reckon it was just desperation point for us to get us out of the house as the kids were doing our heads in! All the new flippin' toys and they're still bored

Roll on Jan 5th... Nursery and playgroups back in action ....yipppeee!!!

Wicked, wicked mummy!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracey,
I know the feeling, my 5 year old is bored already too, despite being constantly entertained/taken out since the day she broke up from school!
Shes off to nannys for the night tonight though so me and hubby can go out together for the first time this christmas! Good luck with keeping them entertained!!

Michaela
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

Michaela..

What...you have a life...away from you little one!??? You lucky, lucky so & so!!

Whenever we go out, (rarely!) without the kids though, I always feel like I've forgotten something...how sad is that! We've forgotten how to do the having fun thing...we live in hope that as they grow older we will get back to having a life!!

Have fun tonight, I'm off to work at the lovely Safeways Whey hey!!!!!! Aren't I a lucky girl!! More cocky, abusive, moaning bloody customers then!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we got to Next at 6.00am yesterday... took the 2 kids and hubby. We got loads of bargains, including some late Christmas prezzies! Having said that, I loathe going high street shopping usually, so getting it all over and done with is great. We got a load of kids clothing, including a cute duffle coat for sprog (he now looks like paddington bear!). It was well worth it, especially since we just bought what we needed and don't have a lot to spend after all the immigration costs.
Larissa
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Dont think there is much available for 25p. All thta I have left.
Roll on pay day
Old Dec 28th 2003, 4:36 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi folks
Iescaped the kids for an hour on boxing day and thought the sales (at meadowhall) were rubbish!!
the reductions in debenhams of 20-30% were paltrey - I saw very few people buying anything!!
bah humbug - I will just wait until the sales have ended then go trolling in debenhams outlet (you get 75% off up there!!)

sue
(still looking for a shed, tv and large fridge in the sales!!)
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:12 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Load of old rubbish in the sales then!

Originally posted by TraceyW
Has anyone actually managed to bag a bargain yet?
NZ does actually offer genuine sale bargains - typically 25-30% off electricals and 30-50% off clothes, toys etc.
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased with the sale items we have got in NZ. Half price jeans, trousers and tops, Crystal ware to send back to the UK as pressies for next Xmas. We have decided never to buy anything again just straight away, as EVERYTHING seems to come on offer eventually.

Gill
Old Dec 29th 2003, 4:34 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
We have decided never to buy anything again just straight away, as EVERYTHING seems to come on offer eventually.

Gill
Ditto! Especially at Warehouse and Briscoes. I reckon it's a 4 week cycle.

We got a cool aluminium kettle at Briscoes knocked down from NZD139.99 to 69.99 then took it back and got the same one for 49.99 in the Warehouse.

Before the Sales. Probably get it for 39.99 right now.