Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living and working in Melbourne

Living and working in Melbourne

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

byronj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in Melbourne

Hi, I'm relocating to Melbourne later this year. Ideally we want to rent on the Bayside area. Could anyone advise on the best area we are ideally looking for a house rather than apartment close to the train station with plenty of bars, restaurants etc for a good social life - cheers
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:35 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in Melbourne

Originally Posted by byronj
Hi, I'm relocating to Melbourne later this year. Ideally we want to rent on the Bayside area. Could anyone advise on the best area we are ideally looking for a house rather than apartment close to the train station with plenty of bars, restaurants etc for a good social life - cheers
Anywhere within the green zone will get you a high concentration of cafes and bars. It stretches outside of the Bayside district to the North but Port Melbourne should also be included. The Bayside areas not highlighted are mainly industrial. Williamstown, to the West, might also be of interest.

If you could provide a gauge of your budget, interests, need for schools, etc, and if you intend to rent/buy then perhaps we can narrow it down a little. Key Cafe hotspots in the highlighted area are Brighton(s), St Kilda, Hampton, Sandringham, Black Rock and to some extent Beaumaris.

Hope this helps

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 22nd 2008 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

LittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really niceLittleHobo is just really nice

We are looking in the same areas too and went and had a look at Sandringham last weekend... we thought it was nice, has a few local bars and restaurant... bigger sort of 'town' area than Black Rock or Beaumauris....

It depends on what you needs are... we would like to have on our doorstep:
Somewhere to go for a drink and eat
A good butchers and grocery store
Close enough to the city for a short train journey (currently over an hour from Frankston!)
Close to the beach......

We think going any further up would be out of our price bracket....
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice

I think you will find, if you havent already, that anything on the Bayside is a lot more expensive that anywhere else.

I have an apartment in South Yarra and I am still $3000 per month!!

Havent arrived yet, but its sitting waiting for me

We priced all the usual places along the Bay with a view to living there but they were just too steep.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:25 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin J
I think you will find, if you havent already, that anything on the Bayside is a lot more expensive that anywhere else.

I have an apartment in South Yarra and I am still $3000 per month!!

Havent arrived yet, but its sitting waiting for me

We priced all the usual places along the Bay with a view to living there but they were just too steep.
We pay that for a house in Malvern East
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:29 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

We have a nice new 3 bed house in Hampton, with a garage and off street parking in a nice suburban tree lined street minutes from the beach and local schools and parks. We are paying $2,800/pm.

We landed on our feet, but it is possible.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Martin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really niceMartin J is just really nice

Are you both renting or owners?

Not being able to buy makes life much more difficult and as you all know, the renting market is very expensive just now.

We needed a 3 bed apartment which was pet friendly and in a nice area. We got it, but had to pay for the privellage.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

I forgot to mention we also get parking for 2 cars in the garage below the apartment.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

byronj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by byronj
Thanks everyone for the assistance-sorry about the late reply I have been out of the country
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chief1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sandringham is probably the best spot in Bayside imoa. Good restaurants and cafes (may I recommend the eggs benedict in limonchello). Or for something a bit less high brow a parma and free pool in the Sandy Hotel on Monday nights.

Rents are expensive enough there but u can do ok if u look around and leave plenty of time.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:41 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chief1980
Sandringham is probably the best spot in Bayside imoa. Good restaurants and cafes (may I recommend the eggs benedict in limonchello). Or for something a bit less high brow a parma and free pool in the Sandy Hotel on Monday nights.

Rents are expensive enough there but u can do ok if u look around and leave plenty of time.

As they say one person's meat is another person's poison. Sandringham is about one area in Bayside that I don't like. To me it feels disconnected with no real heart to it. However, I agree that Limonchello is a nice cafe but the Sandy is awful - reminds me of a large working mens type club and the food is dreadful (at least it was on the couple of occasions that I went)
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:52 pm
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Vanessa
the Sandy is awful - reminds me of a large working mens type club and the food is dreadful (at least it was on the couple of occasions that I went)
It's just a carbon copy of all the other plain bland "Hotels" around. It's not that bad. We often have team evenings at the Sandringham Yacht Club which is all right. We have better restaurants in Hampton IMHO.

I find Sandy (Sandringham) to be OK, but Hampton rules! ...and we kicked your arse in the U9's Footy this year

Al