living in perth

Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

pete&kate is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile living in perth

We are just starting proceedures to migrate to australia and we are considering perth, can anyone give us some ideas as to what it is like to live there. Also the cost of living, and if possible secondary schools and colleges.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Re: living in perth

Originally Posted by pete&kate
We are just starting proceedures to migrate to australia and we are considering perth, can anyone give us some ideas as to what it is like to live there. Also the cost of living, and if possible secondary schools and colleges.
This question has been asked many times over the last few days. Do a search on this forum for Perth
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leedslad
This question has been asked many times over the last few days. Do a search on this forum for Perth

Come on......help them out. Ne member(welcome), and first post.
That is not a very helpful reply!!

All you lot that have been in Perth years, start posting your replies!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Come on......help them out. Ne member(welcome), and first post.
That is not a very helpful reply!!

All you lot that have been in Perth years, start posting your replies!!
Fair comment...BUT it can get a little tiring to see the same questions being asked every couple of days...... As Obe Wan Kanobi would say, use the search Luke, use the search....

Ok, we've been here in Perth since Oct 2002. We find it a bit remote and the people here are very insular. The heat towards the end of the summer can also get a bit tiring. On the plus side I'm an IT contractor, it took me 6 weeks to get my first contract & I've never been out of work since. Yes, I'm only earning half what I used to and I'm doing similar kind of work I was doing in the uk 5 years ago.

We've got no regrets coming here, but we're not planning to stay much longer, it's not for us.

Hope this helps a bit!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:14 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi
I am in Perth and have been for 7 months. So far I have found it really quite nice, the city isn't that huge and I have only gone into it 3 times so far, mainly for tax codes etc.
The suburbs are sprawling out a bit but I sort of expected that anyhow, lots more trees and green as well, that confused me as its supposed to be scorching hot and barren. The road system is pretty straight forward and when you get used to it and the mad aussie drivers you will find it easier than the UK.
Perth appears to be a huge place and I suppose it is but with the road network and public transport nothing is too far away. I think of doing the school run of 20mins and realise over here I must be covering almost double the distance than in the UK for the same amount of time. The beaches are fab, and usually empty during the week, the weather is fine, it has reached 42° but thats not totally unbearable if it was no one would live here.
Look forward to seeing you at coffee with the other Perth gals
Jenny
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Pete and Kate,

Good luck with the migration process...you are already one step ahead of the game having found this superb website....

Unfortunately I cant tell you about Perth as I havent moved there yet (Perth or Sydney.....gonna decide on my validation trip in June).

SS
Old Mar 9th 2005, 8:02 am
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jensteve
Hi
I am in Perth and have been for 7 months. So far I have found it really quite nice, the city isn't that huge and I have only gone into it 3 times so far, mainly for tax codes etc.
The suburbs are sprawling out a bit but I sort of expected that anyhow, lots more trees and green as well, that confused me as its supposed to be scorching hot and barren. The road system is pretty straight forward and when you get used to it and the mad aussie drivers you will find it easier than the UK.
Perth appears to be a huge place and I suppose it is but with the road network and public transport nothing is too far away. I think of doing the school run of 20mins and realise over here I must be covering almost double the distance than in the UK for the same amount of time. The beaches are fab, and usually empty during the week, the weather is fine, it has reached 42° but thats not totally unbearable if it was no one would live here.
Look forward to seeing you at coffee with the other Perth gals
Jenny
Hi Jenny,

Sounds like you are loving it, nice and positive too. We are heading to Perth in May and are eying up the Joondalup area for rent at least.

Original plan was April until the house sale fell through. Nothing happening on that front, so will fly out when a buyer is found. Please someone...!

Whereabouts in Perth are you settled? Where abouts on the Wirral you from, my wife's family lived in West Kirby, though only her aunt now. My family are from the Warrington area, we absconded to Surrey , and can't wait to leave for Oz.

We bring also our 10 month old daughter, will be interesting to see how easy it is to integrate into the community with a 'bub'. We've just begun to in Surrey, after 7 years. Someone here said Perth folk were very insular, how does that compare to the Guildford area. I know folks back in Warrington and West Kirby are very friendly.

42° wow! I remember 37° in 2003, with probably 95% humidity, not fun! But have experienced late thirties in Perth and whilst very hot it is not unbearable like when very hot in the UK.

Maybe we'll cross paths in the not too distant future.

Have fun

Paul
Old Mar 9th 2005, 12:34 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete&kate
It often hits over 40c in summer, is boring and has rather indifferent and aloof locals. That said, some people actually like the place. No accounting for taste.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:33 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
It often hits over 40c in summer, is boring and has rather indifferent and aloof locals. That said, some people actually like the place. No accounting for taste.
How many days over 40 have we had this summer then? 5 max.

How many days over 35? 15 absolute max!

The mean for January is 30.7
For Febuary 31.3

Ok, can't see the map on this page:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...3month&area=wa
Does it confirm what I think?
EDIT: hmm, don't know what the map shows, but I think it's whole of WA?
Old Mar 9th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

[QUOTE=kiwichild]It often hits over 40c in summer, is boring and has rather indifferent and aloof locals.
I think that rather depends on your outlook really. Personally I found it hard initially meeting locals, but once my little boy started school I had instant access to a network of friends.

Sure it has taken time to build those friendships and some are (yet) to be as "deep and meaningful" as some of my uk friendships...but they had been established over many years. I found that the aussie mums (like anywhere else really) once I'd got over my nervousness and started just chit-chatting with them whilst waiting for the kids were often eager to start up friendships.

Here in Rockingham, particularly, we have a pretty transient population due to Garden Island Naval Base and the bafflingly large amount of Federal Police that live here (and may I point out LIVE...not work!!! LOL) and are forever being posted away. So many of the aussie mums are in the same boat anyway, new to the area and want to make friends.

That said, some people actually like the place. No accounting for taste.
Yes some people do like the place. I do!! I know there are problems here, but as many of the other posters said, everywhere has its share of problems, I guess its all down to your personal experiences and what you're comparing it to...which of course, is different for everyone. For me, coming from Leeds where the gangland shootings and drug turfwars were commonplace occurences coming to "rough old Rockingham" has been a delightful change. Again personal perception!!

Love sophia xx
Old Mar 9th 2005, 4:10 pm
G&P
Forum Regular

G&P will become famous soon enoughG&P will become famous soon enough

Hi Pete & Kate,

Best of luck with your application, I am waiting on final confirmation having sent in meds and pc. There is fantastic info on this site and everyone is really helpful but I did think www.aussiemove.com was better for info on Perth, practically everyone on that site is going there, I personally am heading for Melbourne and found this site brilliant for info relating to Melbourne, try it and see what you think, might be helpful!

Regards
Gillian

ps, this site is also helpful for Perth, don't want to cause offence for all you helpful people out there!!!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

Hi Pete & Kate

There is another good website www.pomsinperth.com this is for people who are migrating or have already migrated to Perth. Sometimes it gets a bit bitchy but there is alot of info about Perth and they also have property for rent and a meet and greet service plus lots of other help.

Theresa
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:38 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theresa, Ian & Tim
Hi Pete & Kate

There is another good website www.pomsinperth.com this is for people who are migrating or have already migrated to Perth. Sometimes it gets a bit bitchy but there is alot of info about Perth and they also have property for rent and a meet and greet service plus lots of other help.

Theresa
Site is very good but recently has become v. bitchy and can descend to the level of an infant school brawl :scared: !!! Info is good if you can wade through the bickering
Another Gillian

Last edited by sme; Mar 9th 2005 at 5:39 pm. Reason: my poor spelling !
Old Mar 10th 2005, 1:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Site is very good but recently has become v. bitchy and can descend to the level of an infant school brawl
Sounds like working at UWA, I'll have to check it out.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
Sounds like working at UWA, I'll have to check it out.
Renth - please do check out PIP, you're doing an excellent job of putting people off coming with your tales of "Hoons and gang fights in Ocean reef and other parts of Perth". Keep up the good work!

Loopy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.