Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Living around Perth?

Living around Perth?

Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:16 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living around Perth?

Originally Posted by elect42
That thread was a decade ago if it all was that easy, head over to the electricians forum it's all in there the process now.
OOoops! Sorry you are correct, I should have looked at the date!!!!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
OOoops! Sorry you are correct, I should have looked at the date!!!!
Twas a BE legend who posted it though - anyone know what happened to baldbutts? He was very very funny on occasion
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Jacquih1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the best location to live in in Perth and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?

Best wishes

Jacqui
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jacquih1
What is the best location to live in in Perth and also does anyone know what the average wage is for a registrered nurse?

Best wishes

Jacqui
If you go onto the WA Dept of Health website and search jobs, it shows you the range for each level. With regards to areas to live you need to narrow it down a bit for people's opinions - if I could afford it I would live in Cottesloe.

Vicky
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Best wishes

Jacqui
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/awards/pages/default.aspx
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:07 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 808shaun808
Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but we are a family of 5 wanting to move to Perth later this year? We have 3 teenage boys and we are needing any input on the best location to settle. We don't want to be in a rural area as we would like to be somewhere with a bit of life and good access to the city and beaches.
We visited last year and mainly went to the south of the city but as you can imagine it is difficult to make your minds up about an important thing on one holiday visit.
Thanks for any input.
What sort of area do you live in now and what sort of house do you currently live in?

Would you be happy to live in a similar type area and a similar type house or are you looking to "upgrade"?

Originally Posted by 808shaun808
Hello h20skineil & renth
Our oldest is just 16 and is just leaving school and enrolled in college studying building services/survaying. Our middle son is still at secondary school and our youngest is at the end of primary school age.
Our budget for housing is probably about $300-$400.000.
Thanks for your input guys

Are you thinking about private schools or state schools? What kind of school do your children currently go do and how does it perform in the UK "Leagues"?

TBH, I've seen a lot of expats come (and go) with big dreams for their OZlifestyle (4x2 house with pool close to beach top school area etc etc) where the reality is that in the UK they lived in an average area, in an average house and their children went to an average school.

If your expectations are realistic, then Perth is doable. If your expectations are for the "dream", then I think you might be disappointed in what will be available to you in Perth on your budget.

The thing to remember is that all areas have their good points and their bad points - even the most expensive areas, have some downsides (people less likely to be neighbourly and targeted burglaries on occasion) and the so-called bad areas have many people that are happy living there.

You have to decide what YOU want and not listen to other peoples biases.

My advice would be to plan to rent for at least 6 months to get a feel for Perth and the areas that will suit your needs. Jumping in to buying a house too soon could be an expensive mistake that you end up regretting. Perth is a large spread out city (Approx 70km north to south and approx 35 km east to west). Rest assured there will be an area in there that will meet your needs, but you need time on the ground to explore and decide where suits you best and until you know where you are going to be working, I would think it will be almost impossible to make that decision. (if you do commit to buying a house before you find out about your work location, you could be seriously limiting your work options).

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Mar 1st 2012 at 12:10 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Best wishes

Jacqui
Depends on years of experience.

My wife is on $75k gross annual basic, with 10 years experience, the highest without promotion(ie. just below CNM).

And yes, experience from other countries counts. But its a bit of a nightmare to get registered. Just beauracratic red tape to jump through.

You should google rates & registration needs.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Jenn007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Smidsy
Is that for Perth?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jenn007
Thanks Smidsy
Is that for Perth?
Yep, Royal Perth Hospital, in CBD.

The wages are less for less years, you can google the pay scheme.

The shift alowance make up a bit though, evening, saturday & sunday work get paid a bit more.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Jenn007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thaks a mil for info its a big help.
Do you know anything about the shift times?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

What is the best location to live in in Perth
Iluka, 'cos I live there. Easy commute to Joondalup health campus (10 mins).
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dont come to shockingham
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smidsy
Yep, Royal Perth Hospital, in CBD.

The wages are less for less years, you can google the pay scheme.

The shift alowance make up a bit though, evening, saturday & sunday work get paid a bit more.
Plus if its a Government Hospital you get Salary Sacrifice for rent/mortgage, cars, food etc - that adds a chunk as well.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Plus if its a Government Hospital you get Salary Sacrifice for rent/mortgage, cars, food etc - that adds a chunk as well.
Yea, my missus gets that too, make a difference, few hundred quid a week. but I think thats too complicated to explain to someone who's in UK over the net. It took me a while to get my head around it here.

To Jenn...

Shifts are 7am-3.30pm, 1pm-9.30pm, and I cant remember night shift. Its excellent how they have a cross over of shifts, as it allows for proper hand overs, or so my missus says.

But this is all way off topic, and we have hijacked the thread, you should really start a new topic if you have any more questions. Loads of Nurses on the forum.