Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

living apart for work/ FIFO etc

living apart for work/ FIFO etc

Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: living apart for work/ FIFO etc

What you won't want to hear, but I'll tell you anyway is that getting used to living together again permanently was almost as hard as getting used to living on my own.

If you're anything like me though, you'll have good weeks when you're fine, and bad weeks when all you want is a big hug from your husband and you can't have it.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
What you won't want to hear, but I'll tell you anyway is that getting used to living together again permanently was almost as hard as getting used to living on my own.

If you're anything like me though, you'll have good weeks when you're fine, and bad weeks when all you want is a big hug from your husband and you can't have it.
I can imagine!

Yes, good & bad weeks I guess. Just never had a whole week of bad up to now! Anyway, he'll be home sometime Saturday & we'll probably have a big row!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh Sal

Sorry you had a bad week. Me and my oh spent 2 years living apart and it was difficult. However we had no kids and I used to go out with my girl friends in the evening. When your son is better, is it possible to get out and about or invite friends over for a meal?

Hope it gets better soon and stop beating yourself up for not coping. You are coping really well!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
We just keep our fingers crossed that something closer to home will turn up.
Hubby and I have had a transatlantic relationship for the last six years.

My advice is to live your life for now, and do not keep looking forward to the time that you will both be together seven days a week. It will happen at some stage, but dont focus on it. Life is for living, not waiting
Old Aug 6th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hubby and I have had a transatlantic relationship for the last six years.

My advice is to live your life for now, and do not keep looking forward to the time that you will both be together seven days a week. It will happen at some stage, but dont focus on it. Life is for living, not waiting
Easier said than done but thanks!

& thanks FA for your comments too!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:03 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have found the last few weeks hard as youngest son has been ill & although he is now back at school, I don't feel comfortable yet with going to the gym after work rather than going home to check on him.
I'll get over it, just having a bad week I think! is this usual?
Hi SC

When I first moved to Dorset, my OH had to stay in the midlands to sell the house. It took 3 months, and during this time I was down here with the kids during the week then would drive back up to the midlands every weekend (to do house viewings )
It was really tough -so I know exactly how you feel. I had a routine with the kids which became quite easy, but I missed my OH, and I missed just being able to pop out to the shops without taking the kids!
It sounds like you're having a tough week and I'm sure you'll have lots of ups and downs. Hopefully you'll be able to all live together as a family again soon, but in the meantime make sure you get some time to do some nice things for yourself - even if it's just reading a book in the bath without the kids disturbing you!! Also - if you let them have friends over to stay now and again, would the favour be returned which would free up some time for you?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to everyone for their support, replies & karma last week.
Just to say, he has now been offered a transfer back to Cairns from mid-Sept. I am so very happy about it
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Hi SC
Just a quick update to say OH has a new job in Melbourne so home every weekend!! I cant stop grinning I knew that silver lining would show itself soon!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by linloo
Hi SC
Just a quick update to say OH has a new job in Melbourne so home every weekend!! I cant stop grinning I knew that silver lining would show itself soon!
That's fantastic!

My OH moves back this Tuesday too!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:55 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

That's fantastic!

My OH moves back this Tuesday too!
So we can take it you'll be busy Tuesday night then?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
So we can take it you'll be busy Tuesday night then?

Actually, we will be celebrating Father's day
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:14 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, we will be celebrating Father's day
Just joshin'!!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Just joshin'!!!
I didn't deny it either though did I?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:20 pm

I didn't deny it either though did I?
Old Sep 6th 2009, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have to say that in reality, I have found it harder than I thought I would, living apart.
We have two lovely boys but they both have ADD & can be challenging at times plus they are boys so loud, boisterous & hungry by nature!
I am really looking forward to having the day to day support back!
I also just miss having him around to share the day with, laughs, frustrations, hugs etc etc.
I am full of admiration for those that can deal with this long term

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.