British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   living apart for work/ FIFO etc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/living-apart-work-fifo-etc-624142/)

Sally Simpson Aug 5th 2009 10:41 pm

living apart for work/ FIFO etc

Anyone else dealing with this?
How do you cope?

Having a bad week & really missing OH. Would be grateful for any advice!

Siren & Brian Aug 5th 2009 11:21 pm

Re: living apart for work/ FIFO etc

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7817550)
How do you cope?

Toy boy?

Siren & Brian Aug 5th 2009 11:21 pm

Hobbies, getting out doing things.

kjj Aug 5th 2009 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7817550)
How do you cope?

Phone sex!

Sally Simpson Aug 5th 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks for your replies!:)
Whilst the first option is appealling, the second is slightly more realistic but I'm having trouble, between work & kids, to find me-time! Possibly this is part of the problem.
Just interested to hear others experiences.

gobbyjock Aug 6th 2009 12:06 am

TBH when hubby was in the Navy I always found it easier when he was away for months rather than just a few weeks - I would just be getting in to a routine and he`d be home - found it unsettling. Have you any friends nearby that you can take turns to have the kids for an hour or so once a week - failing that - are there any clubs or stuff that you and the kids could do or even local swimming pool - they go swimming(if old enough) or have lessons you have jacuzzi or massage etc.

Sally Simpson Aug 6th 2009 12:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I have found the last few weeks hard as youngest son has been ill & although he is now back at school, I don't feel comfortable yet with going to the gym after work rather than going home to check on him.
I'll get over it, just having a bad week I think! is this usual?:unsure:

Satch_Boogie Aug 6th 2009 12:17 am

This is Satch's wife...

My husband works away all week. He typically leaves on Sunday nights and comes home late Friday night or Saturday morning. The first few months were horrible. I struggled on my own with our three kids. Then we got into a routine that was fantastic. I love my hubby but enjoy the quiet evenings after the kids are all in bed and it is just me time.

It does take some getting used to. And it is normal to have bad weeks.

Sally Simpson Aug 6th 2009 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie (Post 7817865)
This is Satch's wife...

My husband works away all week. He typically leaves on Sunday nights and comes home late Friday night or Saturday morning. The first few months were horrible. I struggled on my own with our three kids. Then we got into a routine that was fantastic. I love my hubby but enjoy the quiet evenings after the kids are all in bed and it is just me time.

It does take some getting used to. And it is normal to have bad weeks.

Thank you! Can't decide if I feel inadequate or just pathetic for not being stronger or more self-sufficient. It's just hard when you need a hug & the kids are in bed!:( next week will be better!:thumbup:

Satch_Boogie Aug 6th 2009 12:38 am

I feel that way many nights. Sometimes I feel like a failure as a person for not being okay with my own company or able to comfort myself. It can be a lonely existence but it does have the positives. I can watch whatever I want and he isn't here to complain.

Sally Simpson Aug 6th 2009 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Satch_Boogie (Post 7817946)
I feel that way many nights. Sometimes I feel like a failure as a person for not being okay with my own company or able to comfort myself. It can be a lonely existence but it does have the positives. I can watch whatever I want and he isn't here to complain.

Well there is that! I can come on here & nobody (at home!) minds!:lol:
Thanks so much for posting though, it really does help to know that I am not alone with these thoughts & worries etc!

linloo Aug 6th 2009 1:10 am

We have been doing this for 2 years now, its 4weeks on 4 off unless he picks up extra, then its a nightmare:confused: No kids but I have demented pets and work which just about covers it, but its the evenings that get me most, when everybody else are with there families and I feel I would be intruding.

I do know that I have a very clean house:eek: and the internet has helped delay the madness:rofl:

We have such a great time when he is home, that it just makes it more heartbreaking when he goes. Its a bit of a vicious circle, as his job affords us the things we really like to do, and its not for the want of trying to find a job closer to home. We know it will happen one day, and in the meantime we are paying the mortgage off as quick as we can, to take that financial pressure off and give us more options.

We have just learnt to make our time together really count, and when I have a bad day he always listens and vice versa. there is light:thumbsup:

Sally Simpson Aug 6th 2009 1:45 am

Originally Posted by linloo (Post 7818023)
We have been doing this for 2 years now, its 4weeks on 4 off unless he picks up extra, then its a nightmare:confused: No kids but I have demented pets and work which just about covers it, but its the evenings that get me most, when everybody else are with there families and I feel I would be intruding.

I do know that I have a very clean house:eek: and the internet has helped delay the madness:rofl:

We have such a great time when he is home, that it just makes it more heartbreaking when he goes. Its a bit of a vicious circle, as his job affords us the things we really like to do, and its not for the want of trying to find a job closer to home. We know it will happen one day, and in the meantime we are paying the mortgage off as quick as we can, to take that financial pressure off and give us more options.

We have just learnt to make our time together really count, and when I have a bad day he always listens and vice versa. there is light:thumbsup:

Thank you for posting. My OH is home 3 weekends out of 4 so not too bad but he is usually knackered!
We just keep our fingers crossed that something closer to home will turn up.
Mostly it is ok but this is the worst week that I have had without him so far!:(
Usually I come on BE for some light relief & it keeps me laughing!:thumbup:

Good luck to you Linloo!

cookiestar Aug 6th 2009 1:50 am

Sally, I was the same for 7 months last year. My husband worked away for 12 days at a time, then was home for 2 days, then back up North again. It was hard work, and felt very lonely at the time. Small things helped me - chatting online to friends/on discussion boards and trying to give myself "treats" in the evening to look forward to - be it a nice bottle of wine, something nice to eat, a new book, a long soak in the bath, a face mask....As I say, little things, but enough to make a difference.

Sally Simpson Aug 6th 2009 1:53 am

Originally Posted by cookiestar (Post 7818163)
Sally, I was the same for 7 months last year. My husband worked away for 12 days at a time, then was home for 2 days, then back up North again. It was hard work, and felt very lonely at the time. Small things helped me - chatting online to friends/on discussion boards and trying to give myself "treats" in the evening to look forward to - be it a nice bottle of wine, something nice to eat, a new book, a long soak in the bath, a face mask....As I say, little things, but enough to make a difference.

Need to give myself a stern talking to I think!

Hope life is better for you now!:thumbup: