Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Littlepond's slow speed narrowband :-(((

Littlepond's slow speed narrowband :-(((

Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Littlepond's slow speed narrowband :-(((

Does anyone have this problem - if you have I'm assuming you know who I mean.

I'm working from home at the moment and having just spent the best part of the morning trying to forward emails and files I'm going crazy :curse: Should have been done in an hour at most.

It's not the size of the files - colleagues have no problem with the same files and I never had a problem with my email account in the past. It's only when the pond comes into the equation that all seems to go to the shape of the proverbial pear :curse: It's not like I have a basic account as I'm online a lot.

Who is the best ISP taking into account, first quality of service, then price?

Sorry if that last question has been covered sometime in the past but having a rant was essential for the recovery process.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:41 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Littlepond's slow speed narrowband :-(((

Originally Posted by kitty4
Does anyone have this problem - if you have I'm assuming you know who I mean.

I'm working from home at the moment and having just spent the best part of the morning trying to forward emails and files I'm going crazy :curse: Should have been done in an hour at most.

It's not the size of the files - colleagues have no problem with the same files and I never had a problem with my email account in the past. It's only when the pond comes into the equation that all seems to go to the shape of the proverbial pear :curse: It's not like I have a basic account as I'm online a lot.

Sorry if that last question has been covered sometime in the past but having a rant was essential for the recovery process.
sorry i've not much to offer in the way of advice but i've gotta say i like the thread title

what sort of plan do you have with littlepond? perhaps they've shaped you for exceeding your allowance? perhaps they've some sort of network problem at the mo (some ISPs show this on their web site)?
have you looked on the www.whirlpool.net.au site to see if anyone else is reporting a problem? is it temporary or does this happen all the time?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gedge
It's pretty regular, if not most of the time.
Just checked my account usage and have only used a tiny fraction of my allowance. I had even been thinking of downgrading my allowance, as although I'm online a lot, it's obviously not enough to use my allowance I pay for, as I have never come near to it yet.
No problems reported on the ISP site/service.
I've even taken my computer (only five months old with all the protection stuff on it) in for a health chack under its warrantly and it's firing on all cylinders!!
I was in my local computer shop the other day, sorting out a new laptop and wirless router and having a whinge about Littlepond when another customer came in having a rant about them too.
Could it be our local exhange? It's a little semi rural one.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:19 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

IINET

Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:49 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone kitty..................we are in Springfield Lakes and are having the same problem. I think it is more or less state wide to some degree.
Telstra are having terrible trouble keeping up with the demand and for a state that is growing at the rate QLD is it doesn't look good for the immediate future. We just have to hang in there...........................at least you can have a quick nap when you are waiting for stuff to download or be sent

Loz x
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:59 am

Thanks Gedge
It's pretty regular, if not most of the time.
Just checked my account usage and have only used a tiny fraction of my allowance. I had even been thinking of downgrading my allowance, as although I'm online a lot, it's obviously not enough to use my allowance I pay for, as I have never come near to it yet.
No problems reported on the ISP site/service.
I've even taken my computer (only five months old with all the protection stuff on it) in for a health chack under its warrantly and it's firing on all cylinders!!
I was in my local computer shop the other day, sorting out a new laptop and wirless router and having a whinge about Littlepond when another customer came in having a rant about them too.
it could be your exchange, but then again being rurual you might not be sharing the bandwidth with as many "hogs'
it's a very difficult thing to answer as there are so many factors that could come in to play
I know it's probably pointless but have you reported it to bigpond? they can do some tests on the line

as themerlin suggests i too would recommend iiNet but you may find they don't provide to your area
if you are thinking of changing, use the whirlpool site i mentioned earlier to help you find a new ISP
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
IINET
Agree. Their ADSL2+ 24Mb service rocks.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Agree. Their ADSL2+ 24Mb service rocks.
what down speed do you get on average?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
what down speed do you get on average?
An effective 17-19Mbps. I'm just over a km from the exchange so I'm happy with that speed.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu
An effective 17-19Mbps. I'm just over a km from the exchange so I'm happy with that speed.
that's good, i get 12-13 also about a klick and what's just as important i don't get any noticeable drop outs
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

'Westnet' are Australia wide now and OH's brother swear by them. He changed over to them from iinet