Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:48 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 131
twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by tracey.d View Post
Instead of speaking to me my neighbour decided to report him to the council.


Sorry to hear about this, I'd have been heartbroken!

I agree with others, maybe go see the council & appeal to them directly. Explain how you've brought them from the UK etc., surely they will be able to see you are only just outside of the size of property required... good luck & please update us if you can.
twizzle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:52 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 131
twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by Petals View Post
Do not forget cats have to be registered to here in Australia and wear discs just like the dogs. Also here in Vic where I live they have to be confined to my property 24 hours a day woe betide them if they stray to a neighbour who does not like cats, council traps abound.

I've never heard of such restrictions before.... hopefully this isn't too widespread in Vic? It's not the case where we are, and just as well, it's nigh on impossible trying to dictate to a cat where they can or can't go. They go where they will.

And council traps?? no, I don't want to know

Where we are most dogs are walked off-leash, and owners allow them to run amok through our garden.
twizzle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2009, 3:02 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 98
sapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the roughsapphire3 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Does anyone know how many dogs you are allowed in Sydney? Or to be more accurate, in Mount Colah?
sapphire3 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:33 am
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 39
jannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura aboutjannyb has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

If it were us in this situation I think we'd move, even back to the UK if neccesary before we gave one of our two up. Oz really aint all that when it's a choice between staying here but giving up a much loved family member.

What a b****** that neighbour is, people like that deserve some bad luck in life. Good luck to you and pooch.


Whilst I feel for the owners in this situation, I don't think it's fair to blame the neighbour for the fact that the owner forgot to register their dogs after being here for 2 years, and research the rules of keeping them. Is this another case of not taking responsibility for your own actions and blaming others?
jannyb is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:00 am
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Ex Southampton, now on the Mornington Peninsula
Posts: 257
Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by twizzle View Post

I've never heard of such restrictions before.... hopefully this isn't too widespread in Vic? It's not the case where we are, and just as well, it's nigh on impossible trying to dictate to a cat where they can or can't go. They go where they will.

And council traps?? no, I don't want to know

Where we are most dogs are walked off-leash, and owners allow them to run amok through our garden.
Check with your local council, we live on the Mornington Peninsula and we also have a 24 Hr curfew on cats which MUST be contained on your property, many people here net in their gardens or put up outside enclosures like those for birds to have their cats in!! If they stray off your property the rangers will use traps to catch them and then they go to the pound. If you don't go and collect them and pay the fines etc they are destroyed or occasionally rehomed but since this is very difficult most are "put to sleep". We always had cats in the UK but not here I agree with the restrictions to protect the wildlife on the Peninsula from cats which are natural predators and for that reason decided not to keep cats here, we now have 2 dogs that were both "rescues" and exercise them in the local "leash free park" or at the "leash free beach", not ideal, but those are the rules, we chose to live here so we live by the rules the council see fit to apply. Simple as that.
Smartinis is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:13 am
  #21  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 546
copa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by twizzle View Post

I've never heard of such restrictions before.... hopefully this isn't too widespread in Vic? It's not the case where we are, and just as well, it's nigh on impossible trying to dictate to a cat where they can or can't go. They go where they will.

And council traps?? no, I don't want to know
cats are banned in some Australian suburbs. Esp those near sensitive wildlife areas ... places full of endangered birds that love running around on the ground .. that sort of thing.
copa is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:23 am
  #22  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 546
copa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

People should also check the local laws in relation to mandatory desexing or micro-chipping for certain dogs ..
copa is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:46 am
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Gold Coast
Posts: 3,069
tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by jannyb View Post
If it were us in this situation I think we'd move, even back to the UK if neccesary before we gave one of our two up. Oz really aint all that when it's a choice between staying here but giving up a much loved family member.

What a b****** that neighbour is, people like that deserve some bad luck in life. Good luck to you and pooch.


Whilst I feel for the owners in this situation, I don't think it's fair to blame the neighbour for the fact that the owner forgot to register their dogs after being here for 2 years, and research the rules of keeping them. Is this another case of not taking responsibility for your own actions and blaming others?
There's always one

I did fully research bringing the dogs over and for those of you who remember me from here will know that I questioned things on here too. From the response it is obvious that people aren't always aware of the rules and regulations. As a single parent I have had loads of stuff to organise and that was simply an oversight for which we are now paying the price. My point of putting the post up wasn't for sympathy or to blame anyone. I always take responsibility for my actions. It was simply to let others know, as I wish I had. After all, isn't that what this forums for???

As for the neighbour, I have decided he's a bit of an arse anyway. He basically didnt acknlwledge us from them moving in although I would always say hello. Then I had some stones delivered for my garden which I was shovelling into a barrrow. He approached me for the first time ever and I started to apologise about the dogs barking and the collar etc. He said he wasnt bothered re the dog and was coming to help me. I thought maybe I had got him wrong. He helped take the stones round the back (where the dogs were!). We had a chat and he said he liked surfing, I said my son did too. He offered to take him with him one day.

A few days later he came to the door to talk about the dog as he'd been barking while I was out. My son (13) was there and he promised to take him out on his boat and surfing. My son was really pleased.

The next day I got the letter from the council. Since then the neighbour has gone back to ignoring me, as does his partner. I now believe that the whole point of him helping was to get round my back garden and see how many dogs I have so he could inform the council.

I'm really pi***d off with him, not only for reporting the dogs and causing my kids such heartache, but also promising my son something he clearly had no intentions of delivering.


I've spoken to thestaff at the awl who are well informed of the council regulations and they agreed that I wouldn't get a 2nd dog permit as they had received a complaint about him He's just gone onto their website today which has made me sad all over again. I'm sure he will be snapped up though and go to a happy home where he will be well loved.

Thanks for the responses. If my post even saves one family the problems we've encountered then it will be worth it.
tracey.d is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:50 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Gold Coast
Posts: 3,069
tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by copa View Post
People should also check the local laws in relation to mandatory desexing or micro-chipping for certain dogs ..
My 2 are fully micro chipped de-sexed etc.

Thats another issue I've had. I checked through all my paperwork and there is nowhere that actually says she is de-sexed. I rang my vets in theUK and they wanted to charge me for an email confirming the same!!

You can however download a form from the net and get a stat dec from a JP which you can find in shopping centres etc. I''ve done this and will be getting it sorted at last tomorrow.
tracey.d is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:57 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Gold Coast
Posts: 3,069
tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

I went and got him back

I couldnt stand him being there. I spoke with someone at the council who advised me to speak to animal management.

They advised me to get the AWL to put him on hold and apply for an extra dog permit. They think I stand a good chance because we have had him from a baby and we brought him from England.

When I rang the AWL they had someone going to do a meet and greet with their other pet and ours!! We went straight to get him after giving them an explanation of what the council had said.

When we got there the people who wanted him had turned up so I felt pretty bad but they were ok about it when they heard our story.

It was an older lady who he would be suited to and she seemed lovely. I took her number in case the councl refuses us but fingers crossed

I also had to pay $280 adoption costs which is fair enough as its a charity so I dont mind. Then its going to cost $351 for the permit application

He's turning out to be one expensive dog!!!
tracey.d is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:26 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 708
Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by tracey.d View Post
There's always one

I did fully research bringing the dogs over and for those of you who remember me from here will know that I questioned things on here too. From the response it is obvious that people aren't always aware of the rules and regulations. As a single parent I have had loads of stuff to organise and that was simply an oversight for which we are now paying the price. My point of putting the post up wasn't for sympathy or to blame anyone. I always take responsibility for my actions. It was simply to let others know, as I wish I had. After all, isn't that what this forums for???

As for the neighbour, I have decided he's a bit of an arse anyway. He basically didnt acknlwledge us from them moving in although I would always say hello. Then I had some stones delivered for my garden which I was shovelling into a barrrow. He approached me for the first time ever and I started to apologise about the dogs barking and the collar etc. He said he wasnt bothered re the dog and was coming to help me. I thought maybe I had got him wrong. He helped take the stones round the back (where the dogs were!). We had a chat and he said he liked surfing, I said my son did too. He offered to take him with him one day.

A few days later he came to the door to talk about the dog as he'd been barking while I was out. My son (13) was there and he promised to take him out on his boat and surfing. My son was really pleased.

The next day I got the letter from the council. Since then the neighbour has gone back to ignoring me, as does his partner. I now believe that the whole point of him helping was to get round my back garden and see how many dogs I have so he could inform the council.

I'm really pi***d off with him, not only for reporting the dogs and causing my kids such heartache, but also promising my son something he clearly had no intentions of delivering.


I've spoken to thestaff at the awl who are well informed of the council regulations and they agreed that I wouldn't get a 2nd dog permit as they had received a complaint about him He's just gone onto their website today which has made me sad all over again. I'm sure he will be snapped up though and go to a happy home where he will be well loved.

Thanks for the responses. If my post even saves one family the problems we've encountered then it will be worth it.
Actually there's often more than one, though most of the others get a little tired of listening to the bleating of so called 'animal lovers' when their companion animal causes damage to the enviroment or property, or reduces the quality of life of neighbours who have to suffer for the total lack of consideration of the so called 'animal lover'.

Let us revue the facts as reported by yourself.

1/ Two dogs were left alone for long periods, which caused them to bark and create a noise nuisance for the whole neighbourhood.

2/ Neither of the dogs were registered as required by law.

3/ You were in breach of the local laws by having two dogs on such a small property.

You then have the hide of a rhino to come on this forum to ask for sympathy and denigrate anyone who points out ( quite rightly ), that it is you and not your neighbour who is at fault in this situation.

Have a nice day.
Hino is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:31 am
  #27  
 
tiredwithtwins's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,147
tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

hello stranger!! d'you know we wer only talking about you yesterday and wondered how you were getting on!! kay is over in the uk and we met for coffee ... we have lovely memories of our nights out!!! you've been there 2 years already!?? blimey, time flies!
sorry to hear about your dog - after everything you have been through, i hope they show some compassion and its sorted so you can keep him!
take care,
sue xxxxxx
tiredwithtwins is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:26 am
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Gold Coast
Posts: 3,069
tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by Hino View Post
Actually there's often more than one, though most of the others get a little tired of listening to the bleating of so called 'animal lovers' when their companion animal causes damage to the enviroment or property, or reduces the quality of life of neighbours who have to suffer for the total lack of consideration of the so called 'animal lover'.

Let us revue the facts as reported by yourself.

1/ Two dogs were left alone for long periods, which caused them to bark and create a noise nuisance for the whole neighbourhood.

2/ Neither of the dogs were registered as required by law.

3/ You were in breach of the local laws by having two dogs on such a small property.

You then have the hide of a rhino to come on this forum to ask for sympathy and denigrate anyone who points out ( quite rightly ), that it is you and not your neighbour who is at fault in this situation.

Have a nice day.

I'm having a very nice day thanks.

If you were to review my post I didn't come on here bleating and looking for sympathy. I have a grand life and don't require sympathy.

I came on here to give people the information that I didnt know so that they didnt make the same mistakes. I know that I was breaching the regulations. I have now rectified that. I'd like to profess to perfection, but even I stumble at times!!!

My dogs have all the things that are required and some that are not, thanks.

My neighbours, who are oh so badly done to, also have 2 (big) dogs. One of which barks far more than mine. To the point that I have lost income from not being able to work a night shift on several occasions because their dog has kept me awake all day barking. Theirs doesnt even stop for breath!!!!

Icould quite easily drop them in the situation in which I find myself. But, unlike some on here, I'm happy enough with my own lot to not try and cause misery in someone elses day.

I dont see the point in posters bitching on here. If you dont like what somoenes written, unless its blatantly racist or something, move on to the next post. Why do people like to be horrible? Who knows?? I've seen too many people leave this forum for peoples unpleasantness.

rest assures you havent spoiled my day at all.

Oh, apart from referring to me as having a hide like a rhino. How rude....my ass isn't that fat
tracey.d is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 5:31 am
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: The Gold Coast
Posts: 3,069
tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins View Post
hello stranger!! d'you know we wer only talking about you yesterday and wondered how you were getting on!! kay is over in the uk and we met for coffee ... we have lovely memories of our nights out!!! you've been there 2 years already!?? blimey, time flies!
sorry to hear about your dog - after everything you have been through, i hope they show some compassion and its sorted so you can keep him!
take care,
sue xxxxxx
Hello Chuck, good to hear from you. I turn up like a bad penny now and then.

Yes, 2 years. I passed my citizenship test on Monday. I need to arrange for a police check from the UK now then I can apply.

How nice for you 2 to get together. How is Kay? Would love a trip to Tassie to catch up with her and Col.

When are you and Mal getting here? Any nearer?

Still working hard. Still enjoying it here.

The kids love it too. I've just booked my flights for next year for a visit back. Will be my first visit. Going to head to Ireland for a while too while I'm there.

Take care

T xx
tracey.d is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2009, 6:13 am
  #30  
sel
~~~
 
sel's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,849
sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Definitely fight the council about it and respect to you for not dobbing your neighbour in out of spite !!

This is my tale of council woes ...

Three years ago, I bought my acreage property with one thing in mind and that was to get a horse. I did my homework, drove around all the properties in our chosen estate and saw horses already there, phoned up the council who said "Yep no worries two hooved animals allowed" with no stipulation about type of animal, even checked on the Town Planning Scheme for any restrictions and it stated what the council had said .... how I wish I had printed that off !!

Fast forward to May this year and a lady up the road put in a planning application for a stable. Her neighbour had complained about the horse being there and had stated that smell, flies, dust etc are ruining her enjoyment of her property and the horse had only been there two days when she complained. Well that was that, suddenly the wording in the TPS has changed to say Two dry sheep only and the lady who put in for planning has had to get rid of the horse or there would be a hefty fine. The council have blatantly lied and said that it had always been that way and now the woman who moaned in the first place has given the council a list of all other horses on the estate and enforcement notices will be issued whenever, although nothing has been done as yet (only to the lady up the road).

It is the most crazy, ridiculous situation as other neighbouring estates have no such restrictions and all are zoned rural residential. I believe it to be a case of taking the easier way out as the this one woman is a serial complainer and turning a blind eye when it suits. Suffice to say the council will have a huge battle on their hands if and when enforcement notices are sent out.
sel is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.