Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

We've been here 2 years now. After much paperwork and expense we brought along our 2 dogs.

As those of you who are here will know time flies and I never got round to registering them. I know I should have but was an oversight with the thousands of other things I have had to organise!!

Anyhow...my daughter has a job now and as a result her chihuahua (who is used to being a lap dog) has had to be left for long periods during the day with our other dog. He obviously too offence and started to bark. My daughter bought him an anti bark collar but it ran out of spray.

Instead of speaking to me my neighbour decided to report him to the council.

As a result of this I have discovered that under the Gold Coast council you are only allowed 1 dog on a property of under 600 square metres. Mines 555 We were given 14 days to remove one. As we couldnt find anyone to take him he had to go to the AWL on Friday. We have had him from a pup and so it was a very sad day.

I wish I'd known this rule as I would have bought somewhere slightly bigger.

It isnt the case with Brisbane council, not sure about others but you should check before you come out here.

One of the annoying things is the neighbour also has 2 dogs, one of which barks more than mine did!!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Originally Posted by tracey.d

As a result of this I have discovered that under the Gold Coast council you are only allowed 1 dog on a property of under 600 square metres. Mines 555

One of the annoying things is the neighbour also has 2 dogs, one of which barks more than mine did!!!!!
The same neighbour who complained? Well you know what to do!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:27 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice
Default Re: A little warning for those planning to bring dogs over to Australia!!

Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looky
The same neighbour who complained? Well you know what to do!
trust me...thought about it lots. I'm not that much of a bitch though!!!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:45 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

That's awful! I'd be heart broken!

I only recently found out that you need to registar a dog here, and that it is more if they are not neutered - fair enough, but my pup is only 10 weeks old, so obviously it ain't going to be neutered!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
That's awful! I'd be heart broken!

I only recently found out that you need to registar a dog here, and that it is more if they are not neutered - fair enough, but my pup is only 10 weeks old, so obviously it ain't going to be neutered!
Our local council will refund the difference when you send in the vets certificate of sterilisation.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:04 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our local council will refund the difference when you send in the vets certificate of sterilisation.
Right, thanks!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:37 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

thats awful. I would have hidden him with a friend though, poor you and poor dog.

Those collars are horrendous though, they are marketed as being a kind/natural solution but they are not and they actually increase the stress and therefore the barking just incase anyone is on the way out to get one.

The AWL down there are great, you are lucky to have them near you.

Viv
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

That is disgusting - after the way half of them treat their dogs here! Why would you know a rule like that anyway - I certainly wouldn't!!! Can you get your house up on the market asap and buy a slightly bigger place??? I would have to be sleeping in the car with mine I'm afraid - will you be able to get him back if you get a bigger place?? I was in tears for you when I read your post, this really is the land of rules and regulations - some of them quite unbelievable! xx
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

We've been here 2 years now. After much paperwork and expense we brought along our 2 dogs.

As those of you who are here will know time flies and I never got round to registering them. I know I should have but was an oversight with the thousands of other things I have had to organise!!

Anyhow...my daughter has a job now and as a result her chihuahua (who is used to being a lap dog) has had to be left for long periods during the day with our other dog. He obviously too offence and started to bark. My daughter bought him an anti bark collar but it ran out of spray.

As a result of this I have discovered that under the Gold Coast council you are only allowed 1 dog on a property of under 600 square metres. Mines 555 We were given 14 days to remove one. As we couldnt find anyone to take him he had to go to the AWL on Friday. We have had him from a pup and so it was a very sad day.

It isnt the case with Brisbane council, not sure about others but you should check before you come out here.

That is so sad!! Im really sorry to hear that.

Does anyone know the rules in perth as we are looking at coming over and have two dogs?!
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

JanieBean is an unknown quantity at this point

I am absolutely disgusted I hope they are pleased with themselves I have two dogs and they are like my babies so it must have been heart wrenching - anyway now that I have got that off my chest I think you can apply to have more than one dog just have another look into it, they may charge you extra (as they do here - any chance of making a few extra bucks) but I seem to recall that in the event that we would have wanted a third (which we dont by the way) we could apply - just check it out - good luck and sorry to hear that Jane x
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
That is so sad!! Im really sorry to hear that.

Does anyone know the rules in perth as we are looking at coming over and have two dogs?!
It may depend on the actual council area. The City of Perth is two dogs,
In a residential area, Council limits each household to two dogs
and the licence fee is $18 for 3 years for a sterilised dog, or $75 for Unsterilised.

Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Its possible to apply for a special licence to keep two dogs and I think given the fact that you brought the dog from the UK it would be considered. Go and see the council often face to face they are much more approachable.

Do not forget cats have to be registered to here in Australia and wear discs just like the dogs. Also here in Vic where I live they have to be confined to my property 24 hours a day woe betide them if they stray to a neighbour who does not like cats, council traps abound.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

If it were us in this situation I think we'd move, even back to the UK if neccesary before we gave one of our two up. Oz really aint all that when it's a choice between staying here but giving up a much loved family member.

What a b****** that neighbour is, people like that deserve some bad luck in life. Good luck to you and pooch.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:32 am
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

I can't believe the neighbour did such a cruel and horrible thing - I feel so upset for you.

Sounds from what Petals said that there may be a chance to get a special licence and get him back. Will keep my fingers crossed for you. Let us know what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.