Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

little britain and stepford wives

little britain and stepford wives

Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: little britain and stepford wives

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I was truly amazed at what I saw in Q'land in regards to this topic. I never knew there where parts of Aussie where the UK accent is almost as prevelant as the Aussie one.

Very very different from where I live, we've probably the lowest ratio of UK residents of any Urban part of Aus, here in the Northernsubs of Melb.
I don't often hear an english accent when out and about but then I don't live in those areas where I guess mainly for money reasons so many of them congregate. Pretty mixed bag here. Majority Aus, some Kiwis and some Brits. I think we are the only Brits in the roads around us.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:20 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Haven't seen any foreign flags here in Ellenbrook.
I remember dropping off a friend's daughter at her mates in Woodvale last year on Australia Day and there were loads of Aus flags flying on the way. We arrived at this house to see a very large Union Jack flying outside. I just thought it was rude and basically saying '**** you' to Australia on their special day.
I don't think there is anything wrong with flying your country's flag if you are supporting them during a football game etc but flying a foreign flag on a day to day basis is crass.
Completely agree. We are up in a northen suburb and only see the odd Aussie flag, however you do see football/flag car stickers.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

I quite like it here. I'd much rather be in the hills, like Amazulu but the Fuhrer wanted to be by the sea. Most of the people in Iluka are OK.

I think in my street of about 20 houses only about 5 are British families, I guess that is about average for Iluka.
We didn't want to have 2 cars so somewhere near a train station was key to us. When we first arrived we stayed with friends in North Beach and then rented in Sorrento, budget didn't allow us to buy there. I think Connolly has a similar % of british born people. In my daughters kindy class out of 20 kids 8 are british, although in elder daughters year 4 class there are only 2 of them out of 27.

To the OP just don't live there then if it bothers you so much.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:29 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We didn't want to have 2 cars so somewhere near a train station was key to us. When we first arrived we stayed with friends in North Beach and then rented in Sorrento, budget didn't allow us to buy there. I think Connolly has a similar % of british born people. In my daughters kindy class out of 20 kids 8 are british, although in elder daughters year 4 class there are only 2 of them out of 27.

To the OP just don't live there then if it bothers you so much.
NB

What a boring post - I was relying on you to spice things up

S
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
NB

What a boring post - I was relying on you to spice things up

S
Sorry chick, can't be arsed. it is obvious the OP is a div, I didn't need to hightlight the fact.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Completely agree. We are up in a northen suburb and only see the odd Aussie flag, however you do see football/flag car stickers.
Not sure if it's still the same or not............... but when Paul Filing was the federal member for Cowan it was just a case of give him a bell and he'd post you out an Aussie flag? Don't know if Doctor Mal is as generous?

I've had our Aussie flag in the drawer now for the last 15 years. Once the patio gets completed I'll fly it.

Anyone got any tips on how to preserve it?

Previously flown the PNG flag and the Solomon Islands one; simply because we spent a magic 14 years living in that region and we have many happy memories from that era. Flags don't tend to last too long in this harsh climate though?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:58 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't often hear an english accent when out and about but then I don't live in those areas where I guess mainly for money reasons so many of them congregate. Pretty mixed bag here. Majority Aus, some Kiwis and some Brits. I think we are the only Brits in the roads around us.

For now we live in Lincoln UK. Walk down the High Street on a Saturday and you won't here much of an English accent either - it's usually Eastern European - and it's seldom English with a foreign accent it's just another language. What was that someone said about assimilate!

When I do arrive in OZ on 24th November this year I will be thankful that I've been given the opportunity to move to Aussie and I intend to make the most of it.

Yes, I do have close friends and family in the UK but they're only a days flying away. I can't think of anything that the UK has that Aussie does not have that would make me want to come back for good.

Sky TV is a total rip-off and what are we all paying a TV licence for? Who cares if the aussie cereal is different or the chocolate bars are crap. I think about the wide open spaces, the diversity of animal life, the marine life and the great outdoors. When WAS the last time in the UK I spotted a wild animal that wasn't a dead roadside badger, a rabbit, a fox or a rat! The UK is a small island with everyone and it's dog trying to get a piece of it. The whole place is just one big housing estate full of greedy people. Goodbye England and thanks for the memories. Hello Australia throw what you like at me, it's got to be better than where I've come from.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:14 am
I'm watching YOU...

[QUOTE=Bobcat;5283392]Not sure if it's still the same or not............... but when Paul Filing was the federal member for Cowan it was just a case of give him a bell and he'd post you out an Aussie flag? Don't know if Doctor Mal is as generous?

QUOTE]

What a great idea
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Not sure if it's still the same or not............... but when Paul Filing was the federal member for Cowan it was just a case of give him a bell and he'd post you out an Aussie flag? Don't know if Doctor Mal is as generous?
How about a WA flag with the black swan on it. They don't seem easy to find though.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellibaby
For now we live in Lincoln UK. Walk down the High Street on a Saturday and you won't here much of an English accent either - it's usually Eastern European - and it's seldom English with a foreign accent it's just another language. What was that someone said about assimilate!

When I do arrive in OZ on 24th November this year I will be thankful that I've been given the opportunity to move to Aussie and I intend to make the most of it.

Yes, I do have close friends and family in the UK but they're only a days flying away. I can't think of anything that the UK has that Aussie does not have that would make me want to come back for good.

Sky TV is a total rip-off and what are we all paying a TV licence for? Who cares if the aussie cereal is different or the chocolate bars are crap. I think about the wide open spaces, the diversity of animal life, the marine life and the great outdoors. When WAS the last time in the UK I spotted a wild animal that wasn't a dead roadside badger, a rabbit, a fox or a rat! The UK is a small island with everyone and it's dog trying to get a piece of it. The whole place is just one big housing estate full of greedy people. Goodbye England and thanks for the memories. Hello Australia throw what you like at me, it's got to be better than where I've come from.

Good on ya Jelli.................. you've got the right attitude. You should go places. Hope it all works out for you?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

This is one of those ridiculous posts, you have to bite your lip as the original poster doesnt have a clue what they are on about.

I hear there is 80 people moving to Perth a week, probably around 10-20 leaving.

So say thats 60 a week, arriving, x 52 = 3120 people a year moving to Perth alone.

What do you expect the WA gov to do? tell an established area, that some have to move because new arrivals have to blend and mix.

Ofcourse these new suburbs are developing, and its a natural progression, that a mass availability of homes exist in the new suburbs.

Id rethink your views and stop being so pethetic, niave and dam right righteous.

BTW,

Go to the Bayside areas of SE QLD, its a massive enslave of Brits there, and they are all the wealthy one, but so what.

If you want integration with very different cultures, Id suggest you to Asia, India or outback Russia if its a real different type of life you are chasing...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Sorry chick, can't be arsed. it is obvious the OP is a div, I didn't need to hightlight the fact.
How funny is this thread?! There's nothing like popping on here and finding something original is there?

I am so proud to be a Stepford Wife, and as I'm Mrs Jones I've only gone and caught up with myself. Mwah, mwah sweetie
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
How funny is this thread?! There's nothing like popping on here and finding something original is there?

I am so proud to be a Stepford Wife, and as I'm Mrs Jones I've only gone and caught up with myself. Mwah, mwah sweetie
How's the peggies?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by worzel
How about a WA flag with the black swan on it. They don't seem easy to find though.
They do seem to be pretty rare eh? Di's our State member.......... wonder if she gives them out buckshee?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat

I've had our Aussie flag in the drawer now for the last 15 years. Once the patio gets completed I'll fly it.

Anyone got any tips on how to preserve it?

Previously flown the PNG flag and the Solomon Islands one; simply because we spent a magic 14 years living in that region and we have many happy memories from that era. Flags don't tend to last too long in this harsh climate though?
I don't know if they do it here, but in Canada the flag on the Parliament Building in Ottawa is changed every day. You can send your name to the Heritage Minister and be put on a list to receive one of the flags that has flown on Parliament Hill. My parents got one years ago and flew it very proudly. Might be worth looking into here.
To preserve it, you could try spraying it with ScotchGuard. I think it will help to waterproof it and even help guard against the UV.

Back to the northern suburbs thing. Where people live is certainly a personal thing. What some find boring and sterile others find serene and clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.