Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

little britain and stepford wives

little britain and stepford wives

Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all
Default little britain and stepford wives

the suburbs of northern perth

they are sterile and boring suburbs with no atmosphere( in my opinion ). Perth is a very nice city and the aussies great as they have been on the 12500km trip from cairns.

But i was shocked as to why people live together with there football number plates, scotish and english flags flying outside there homes ( you are in australia now ) its like living in the uk with sun and nice beaches.

The price of our house, money money money ,keeping up with the jones`s etc, british shops, all thats missing is tesco`s and next which i gather some people would love to have as well.

when in rome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as the saying goes

This is australia not britain
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Re: little britain and stepford wives

To a certain extent I would agree with you. But there is nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from, but happy to be where you are. However there is nothing more boring that someone who constantly bangs on about how great the place where there from is, and that you should visit, its so amazing etc, etc.

In the far, far off future when we hopefully get citizenship my hub will still no doubt be a Celtic fan, and I'll still have a strange affection for traditional English cider. That won't make us bad Ozzie's, but possibly more enthusiastic one's, because we'll have chosen Australia, not just been lucky enough to have been born there. It doesn't mean we have to give up our roots though.

Also however doesn't mean we're going to be flying ANY union jacks or wistfully reminiscing for the bonny hills of Scotland (hopefully).

As an aside, when I see your user name I always think of Tony Singh who runs this place - http://www.oloroso.co.uk/
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonychef

they are sterile and boring suburbs with no atmosphere( in my opinion ). Perth is a very nice city and the aussies great as they have been on the 12500km trip from cairns.

But i was shocked as to why people live together with there football number plates, scotish and english flags flying outside there homes ( you are in australia now ) its like living in the uk with sun and nice beaches.

The price of our house, money money money ,keeping up with the jones`s etc, british shops, all thats missing is tesco`s and next which i gather some people would love to have as well.

Dude this is very concerning, is perth really like this?

or are you being abit over inflammoratory......

I think any new suburb is sterile until it becomes established....
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
Perth's northern suburbs are definitely like this. Go shopping at Lakeside in Joondalup and you'll hear every British accent there is, particularly northern English and Scottish.

Having said that, although it seems like "little Britain" the suburbs with the highest proportion of British, like Iluka, where I live are still only about 25% British.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You've hit the nail on the head Dude.
Avoid this shit and your Aussie experience will be so much better.
I f**king hate the northern suburbs - and Secret Harbour.
I know people who live in SH and most of his street seem to be Geordies - and they all have their Pommy attitudes/issues/ideas.

Integrate, assimilate, embrace.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission

or are you being abit over inflammoratory......
Parts of Perth are definitely like this - as are parts of SE Qld.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

Too true, anyting with Lakes, fields, springs or forest in the name usually code for new estate with none of the above except one man made whole where they excavated the estate

North lakes, forest lakes, pine lakes, fountain lakes, ....... not sure why these brand new off the highway things appeal to poms, probably the first thing they spot.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no. New arrivals should try and integrate into Aussie culture as far as possible and not form a British ghetto. On the other hand, it makes it a lot easier to settle when there are lots of people in the same boat (The Boat) as yourself to talk to.

With something like 10% growth in Perth per year at the moment the newbies have to live somewhere. The new houses are being built on the extremes where the space is and so Brits are more likely to find an (affordable) house there. There is also something of the British culture to move away from the city when you can afford it and have family to think about.

To some extent the Aussies will hate you and also like you for flaunting your Britishness - again try and integrate but it also gives them something to taunt you with (they love a bit of banter).

Live and let live.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 1:56 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
With something like 10% growth in Perth per year at the moment the newbies have to live somewhere. The new houses are being built on the extremes where the space is and so Brits are more likely to find an (affordable) house there. There is also something of the British culture to move away from the city when you can afford it and have family to think about.
Live and let live.
I agree, I don't think Poms move to these suburbs because there are other Poms there it a case of it's what people can afford and what they want - an affordable (comparatively) detached house not too far from the beach.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

[QUOTE=tonychef;5281077]the suburbs of northern perth

I live in Northern suburbs and you are right...it is sterile and boring. Hence why i want to get out of this place.
I never knew this before i moved here, i learnt by mistake
There are flags all over with different nationalities (reminds me of Nothern Ireland)....very starnge.
I think things will never change, infact get worse.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:43 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen any foreign flags here in Ellenbrook.
I remember dropping off a friend's daughter at her mates in Woodvale last year on Australia Day and there were loads of Aus flags flying on the way. We arrived at this house to see a very large Union Jack flying outside. I just thought it was rude and basically saying '**** you' to Australia on their special day.
I don't think there is anything wrong with flying your country's flag if you are supporting them during a football game etc but flying a foreign flag on a day to day basis is crass.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hate the image this sort of stick together brit suburb type thing give us.

Anyone seen the ad on austar/foxtel, pensions ad, bring your UK pension to australia, some naff wussy looking bloke waving a BBQ tong, standing in the middle of water holding a sausage in the other hand while kid sits beside him frazzling in the sun. Then he waffles on about coming for the lifestyle and what a marvellous place it is, all in a pommy accent, makes us look like a right bunch of wankers.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu

I was truly amazed at what I saw in Q'land in regards to this topic. I never knew there where parts of Aussie where the UK accent is almost as prevelant as the Aussie one.

Very very different from where I live, we've probably the lowest ratio of UK residents of any Urban part of Aus, here in the Northernsubs of Melb.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nu-Shooz;5283148]

I live in Northern suburbs and you are right...it is sterile and boring. Hence why i want to get out of this place.
I never knew this before i moved here, i learnt by mistake
There are flags all over with different nationalities (reminds me of Nothern Ireland)....very starnge.
I think things will never change, infact get worse.
Actually I don't mind the northern suburbs.............. I'd much rather live NOR. Everyone to their own.........
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:15 am
(It's not my real name)

[QUOTE=Bobcat;5283337]
Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz

Actually I don't mind the northern suburbs.............. I'd much rather live NOR. Everyone to their own.........
I quite like it here. I'd much rather be in the hills, like Amazulu but the Fuhrer wanted to be by the sea. Most of the people in Iluka are OK.

I think in my street of about 20 houses only about 5 are British families, I guess that is about average for Iluka.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.