Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

List of Pros and Cons

List of Pros and Cons

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:48 am
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default List of Pros and Cons

there are threads that say how good things are and threads that say how bad things are in Australia. Can we get a definative list from people who have actually moved out there of the pros and cons of life in australia. and if possible comparisons with the UK.

I do realise that peoples opinion are based on circumstance for example, we have an above average wage and I work 7 minutes from home so commuting and traffic is not a problem. I also live in the ex-mining villages of east durham so we are not exactly over-supplied with culture and things to see and do. we live in an ex-council house in an area where not all house are owner-occupied (one neighbour is a council tenant). My point is our expectations are very different. so it would be good to qualify some of the points.

i suspect this is easier said than done but i would appreciate it.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: List of Pros and Cons

Originally posted by trevd72
there are threads that say how good things are and threads that say how bad things are in Australia. Can we get a definative list from people who have actually moved out there of the pros and cons of life in australia. and if possible comparisons with the UK.

I do realise that peoples opinion are based on circumstance for example, we have an above average wage and I work 7 minutes from home so commuting and traffic is not a problem. I also live in the ex-mining villages of east durham so we are not exactly over-supplied with culture and things to see and do. we live in an ex-council house in an area where not all house are owner-occupied (one neighbour is a council tenant). My point is our expectations are very different. so it would be good to qualify some of the points.

A definitive list of pros and cons? Part of the problem is that what a person defines as a pro or a con is often personal.

For example, take the climate. In Sydney, it is much warmer than the UK. But, it is also more humid in summer and the sun is literally a killer. Some visitors have liked it, some have thought it too hot and some didn't like the lack of obviously different seasons.

However, here's my 2 cents worth:

General pros (I'm comparing Sydney with London) would include: clean, people look less miserable, less crowded. more informal, more pragmatic, generally less traffic, outdoor lifestyle, more child friendly, great beaches are free and are relatively easy to access (unlike Europe, where you have to travel considerable distance), good value restaurants, sports

General cons: media (TV, radio, newspapers) unexciting, geographic isolation - it takes ~8 hours to fly from Oz to any other country except NZ, parochial, obsessed with sports, don't like criticism, towns lack variety
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton

However, here's my 2 cents worth:
I also forgot that you would probably have no other relatives close by.

Depending how you get on with them it's a pro or a con
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:20 am
Just Joined

slec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by trevd72

Pros of living in Vic from Northampton.
Much lower crime no longer worry about my kids going to town,car still on the drive and tools still in my van in the morning
burglary very low,etc.
Much more space very low trafic you can plan to do 100klm in an hour.Build your own house no big deal here.
Fantastic beaches much warmer but still get 4 seasons so your not in the sun every day.
Easy access to Melbourne,Gt Ocean road ,rain forest,Water ski,fishing,surfing,beaches.
Lots to see and do.No T.V. License Req.
Good schools,not many speed cameras.

Cons.
No friends or family we did not know anyone at first ,see if you can get on your kids nerves more than they get on yours.
Crap T.V
You need a License for everything else.
Shools charge for everything books,reports,cutting the grass(lawn),uniform Exsp.
You have to work hard for all the pros as above.
Starting to install speed cameras,trafic lights well take some refreshments for when you get a red light.
People shopping in the supermarket with no bloody shoes on.
Getting lost for the first month when you go out.
Starting out no matter how well you were thought of in the UK here your nothing untill you prove yourself.
Must be lots more of both have a think.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:24 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not be so sure about the absence of speed cameras in VIC (says he about to head home to Geelong along the Princes Freeway ...!).

Best regards.

Originally posted by slec
Pros of living in Vic from Northampton.
Much lower crime no longer worry about my kids going to town,car still on the drive and tools still in my van in the morning
burglary very low,etc.
Much more space very low trafic you can plan to do 100klm in an hour.Build your own house no big deal here.
Fantastic beaches much warmer but still get 4 seasons so your not in the sun every day.
Easy access to Melbourne,Gt Ocean road ,rain forest,Water ski,fishing,surfing,beaches.
Lots to see and do.No T.V. License Req.
Good schools,not many speed cameras.

Cons.
No friends or family we did not know anyone at first ,see if you can get on your kids nerves more than they get on yours.
Crap T.V
You need a License for everything else.
Shools charge for everything books,reports,cutting the grass(lawn),uniform Exsp.
You have to work hard for all the pros as above.
Starting to install speed cameras,trafic lights well take some refreshments for when you get a red light.
People shopping in the supermarket with no bloody shoes on.
Getting lost for the first month when you go out.
Starting out no matter how well you were thought of in the UK here your nothing untill you prove yourself.
Must be lots more of both have a think.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

pete 10 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a really good thread although everyones opinions are different it will be really interesting reading.I hope more people reply and give there pros and cons on various areas in Australia I shall definatley be watching this space.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on what you are leaving behind and what you are going to. I left a lovely Cheshire village and moved to a city of 3m people. I struggled with pollution, 24-hour traffic, lack of countryside, and not being able to hop on my bike and be in the country within half a mile. I would imagine someone coming from London would perhaps be more adjusted to this kind of environment. Geographical isolation and lack of choice for affordable days/weekends away were another thing.

On the other hand, Melbourne has so much to offer in the way of sport, restaurants, bars, shopping, entertainment, etc.

Being child-free, schools, and school zones weren't important to me....but many others will cite the quality of education as their reasons for staying/leaving. Unlike previous post (Mike) access to beaches isn't important - but access to countryside was (and we didn't have it as readily as the UK).

You have to remeber that Australia is as diverse as Britain is, and you can find most of what Britain has to offer (good and bad) in Australia too - it just depends where you go in each country.

What are you looking to gain from a move to Australia?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Married or single?
Now I have a child (in UK) I see the 4 walls at home, a packed tube to and from work and an office.
The weather prevents us going outside most of the time and even when we do the cost of going anywhere is prohibitive, and the public transport is enough to make me want to stay in bed. Our local rag has been running a 'hot' topic on whether prams should be allowed on the bus or whether parents with small children should be allowed a seat!

So for a young family I think Oz might have something to offer, bearing in mind you might not have any close friends or relatives to help you out.

It is a slower pace, but that can be lovely. We had people voluntering their seats in Melbourne 'rush hour'. We always had a park to go to, there was always the option of a healthy bbq or picnic instead of having to eat in a fast food restaurant, there seemed to be more public toilets, but yes theres a definite buzz missing that only places like London and NY can offer.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

good info here
back to the top
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

kicked to the top - interesting reading!!!

pockygoes
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:45 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

this is a list I did when living in Brisbane and had saved on my pc.

i would like to point out it is now say 18 months out of date. its highly personal and looking at it now trivial in some aspects. each point is only a summary but thought it may be interesting for some even if they totally disagree.

Bad
bueaucracy
ozzie attitude to being wrong
ozzie banks
poor ozzie customer service
ozzie bullshit and making up facts and stories
lack of choice
limited to ozzie food products & nearly completely wine and beer
pommie bashing
f1 coverage crap
small mindeded & pedantic people
hostility to foreigners
no football only local nrl and afl
weak dollar and cyclical economy
high unemployment
less choice of products and goods and services
expensive to travel
lower pay and higher taxes
isolation and generally cut off from the world
poor value chinese and asian food
terrible indian restaurants
few parks
having to wear a bike helmet
don’t start school until 6 years of age
horrible pubs full of pokies
gambling everywhere
long working hours
less holidays
accrued leave and sick leave
lack of humour
poor quality press
adverts on the tv and loud adverts
useless cable tv
useless broadband internet coverage
supermarkets small and less choice
short daylight hours no twilight
no daylight savings
very limited range of international type sport coverage
poor treatment of refugees and oboriginals
too conservative
priority for local knowledge and not skills and experience
dog walking restricted to leads unless in a small zoned area
too few drink driving testers
Friday afternoon compulsory ozzie drinks
expensive second hand cars
power cuts
floods & mad weather conditions droughts and hurricanes
loads of old bangers on the road constantly breaking down
poor road access into brisbane no alternative but story bridge
poor bus & train service in outer suburbs
people don’t listen
snobbery based on money and position
old school network thriving
duopoly and monopoly companies in adundance
diabolical media coverage

Good
cheap petrol
brisbane climate - not much cop down south
cheaper houses in brisbane
nice beaches
lots of wilderness
wildlife - koalas kangaroos parrots and whales
citizenship process
young evolving country
friendly service
good steaks
some nice restaurants
less police speed cameras
locally grown strawberries when in season
cheaper cost of living but lower wages
electric garage opening fairly standard
country developing strong identity
sport facilities although somewhat elitist attitude to their use
canberra parliament very accessible when visiting
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dugongs
Bad
small mindeded & pedantic people
hostility to foreigners
snobbery based on money and position
old school network thriving
I know your list is very personal to you but do you really think this is just happening in Australia? The first two thing I experienced personally since I am a foreigner. And the snobbery, please it still happens in the UK, where an accent makes or brakes you. Yeah and for old school network thrieving have a look here too.

Actually looking at your list that could be a list by any foreigner in any country.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:47 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Fair enough maybe so. Does that make my experience any less valid. I was trying to share honest experiences and I have already received two criticisms one from an aussie who complained that I put the cons list first. well sorry mate but on the excel spreadsheet they were side by side but i do not know how to post it like that on here without the pagination going up the wall.

Originally posted by simbacat
I know your list is very personal to you but do you really think this is just happening in Australia? The first two thing I experienced personally since I am a foreigner. And the snobbery, please it still happens in the UK, where an accent makes or brakes you. Yeah and for old school network thrieving have a look here too.

Actually looking at your list that could be a list by any foreigner in any country.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

trevd72 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hoped this thread would be a collecction of peoples own experiences. i understand the need to challange ideas but i did not intend this thread to develope into a debate as such. i understand that once i put my question out into the public domain that i have no control but i would appreciate it if this thread would be a collection remarks concerning what it is like living in australia.

i dont know about everyone else but we just want to start again and australia was the only country we could agree on. sure the weather and the beaches are good for perhaps the first 6 month but then what. are the things that make the uk appear second best going to creep in, possibly with more cons. and what pros make it worth while or habitable. i know its all about what you want.

it needs to personal otherwise it is someone elses opinions and not your own and that is what i was after. ideas coming from different people in different circumstances and from different backgrounds.

Originally posted by simbacat

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dugongs
Fair enough maybe so. Does that make my experience any less valid. I was trying to share honest experiences and I have already received two criticisms one from an aussie who complained that I put the cons list first. well sorry mate but on the excel spreadsheet they were side by side but i do not know how to post it like that on here without the pagination going up the wall.
No they are not less valid! I just comented that most of them are not specific to Australia, even though they were specific to you. I also found it amusing the comments by expats concerning the rugby world cup. Try living in England as a German when they play football. Enough said I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.