Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Like a groom before the wedding.......

Like a groom before the wedding.......

Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Like a groom before the wedding.......

..........last minute jitters.

We have been planning our move since March and have everything booked, house sold for the big move on 1st September, but then last week we had a problem that our dog tested positive for one of the banned diseases - we had a retest and positive again. After much thought we decided we couldn't separate the family from the dog and we were getting ready to stay and telling ourselves all the good reasons why we should stay (in Germany). Then all of a sudden we get the news that the tried the test "a different way" and it has come up negative. We had not yet officially cancelled anything (flights, movers etc) so potentially the move is now back on!

Since last week a few other things have changed like (i) My wife's father is very old and ailing (ii) I've been given a BIG pay rise which means my Aussie salary would be less that two-thirds of my salary here; (iii) I would really miss being so close to the mountains and the skiing (iv) I would have to give up my fast car and (in Germany at least) the opportunity to drive fast (the blokes will understand).

Remind me again why I wanted to go to Oz and what would you do?
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:18 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Like a groom before the wedding.......

Originally Posted by MartinH
..........last minute jitters.

We have been planning our move since March and have everything booked, house sold for the big move on 1st September, but then last week we had a problem that our dog tested positive for one of the banned diseases - we had a retest and positive again. After much thought we decided we couldn't separate the family from the dog and we were getting ready to stay and telling ourselves all the good reasons why we should stay (in Germany). Then all of a sudden we get the news that the tried the test "a different way" and it has come up negative. We had not yet officially cancelled anything (flights, movers etc) so potentially the move is now back on!

Since last week a few other things have changed like (i) My wife's father is very old and ailing (ii) I've been given a BIG pay rise which means my Aussie salary would be less that two-thirds of my salary here; (iii) I would really miss being so close to the mountains and the skiing (iv) I would have to give up my fast car and (in Germany at least) the opportunity to drive fast (the blokes will understand).

Remind me again why I wanted to go to Oz and what would you do?

go and just give yourselves a couple of months for an extended holiday.....take some unpaid leave, you can still work (if you have that kind of job) so support the family whilst deciding. doggy in kennels, sorted.
if you love it, stay.
if you dont, go back to germany....nothing lost.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:31 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Like a groom before the wedding.......

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
go and just give yourselves a couple of months for an extended holiday.....take some unpaid leave, you can still work (if you have that kind of job) so support the family whilst deciding. doggy in kennels, sorted.
if you love it, stay.
if you dont, go back to germany....nothing lost.
sounds like a plan??