Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

light at end of tunnel...or has it been turned off

light at end of tunnel...or has it been turned off

Old Sep 7th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default light at end of tunnel...or has it been turned off

sorry big mistake

Last edited by logan; Sep 7th 2004 at 9:25 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: light at end of tunnel...or has it been turned off

Originally Posted by logan
I'm only really writing this to find out if anyone else out there feels similar to me today. As everyone knows this whole experience is a rollercoaster, but some days you just can't hack it. and sometimes those days turn into a few days etc etc. A couple of days ago, I read a thread re. someone wanting advice on how to fleece the system and get a visa through false pretences, false relationship etc, and had the gall to ask if anyone was interested. I applauded Siren and others who gave him what for. Everyone on here has a story. Mine's no more interesting than anyone else's and I hope my other half doesn't mind me posting it, but i think it'll be cathartic. (is that the right word?) I have had the advantage of living in Oz twice and NZ twice. Originally English, but Dad couldn't make up his mind where he wanted to be. Family played a big part, but he loves Oz. I went to 16 schools from the age of 4 1/2 and 17. but the upside of the coin was i could decide where I considered "home" having also lived in Shetland, Bournemouth, Birmingham, and Edinburgh. Home is Brisbane. My parents got their citizship and I got an Aussie passport. Fast forward to the last 13 years. We moved back to the uk and up to Scotland. I was adament I would return as soon as i was 18, but realised no qualifications and no money. went to uni in edi, got involved with guy. got good job. spent almost 7 years with him. after going through a common law spouse visa not once but twice as the first temporary visa was not adequate for him to work in his profession in Oz. 5 weeks before the wedding i started to doubt everything. I'd been caught up so much in gettin to Oz, (it took 2 holidays to convince him to emmigrate and another year or so to get visa) i forgot who i was going with. Suddenly felt i was trapped and the big day loomed. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but a fortnight before the day i called it off.
The biggest twist though was meeting the guy at my work, not long after who i got talking to about oz. amazingly, (and i ask you to keep an open mind as noone knows me on this forum, ) we got it together and everything moved very quickly. no i was not on rebound. no he's not getting a visa through me, he's applied for a skilled visa. Trust me if my father can handle this then anyone can!, but we moved in together and i'm so grateful for the 2nd chance i have at being happy. i found someone who's my soulmate (sad i know but true) . but......... my job has nose dived in the last couple of months. I hate it so much it's making me miserable. the only problem is I'm supposed to be getting a redundancy package so i need to work till end of November. However i've not been given a formal offer letter etc and it's really started to get to me. On top of that it's the whole TRA thing that everyone who has to deal with them will understand. it'll be 19 weeks soon. then it's the big wait for DIMIA. Don't get me wrong most days I've got quite a sunny dispositon, and I know I have an awful lot to be grateful for, most of all my beloved other half, who I've put through the mill a bit in recent weeks, but I'm 29, and I've been sooo bloody patient to get back. Now, now I've run out of patience. I want to go, and i get upset even reading this forum sometimes. I feel like I'm wishing my life away and have done for so long now, waiting for the moment I touch down in Brissy, on a one way ticket.
Apologies for boring anyone. Thanks for the therapy. off for some wine now.
Logan

That was so hard to read without paragraphs :scared:

The only bit of your post that worries me is saying "Now waiting for the moment I touch down in Brissy on a one way ticket",

Shit happens anywhere including brissie, Its sad reading people pinning all their hopes their lives will change like some miracle because they land in Brissie/Melbourne or Timbucktoo, your life wont many things will still be the same and you will have bad days too. Some problems may disappear, some new ones will crop up.

We might go back to the UK next year but many of lifes hassles will be there waiting for us, and my work day will probably be just as stressful, nowhere will offer a magic wand. Live today no matter where you are stuck.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:15 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Cheer up Logan

I'm afraid there's no easy way round this immigration malarky. You've just got to ride the storms I'm afraid

I understand your frustrations, one way or another we've all had them, some more than others. I've found there's always someone else worse off too [someone on here lost his mother just before he was about to come over].

I think the moral of the story is to keep your chin up, you'll soon get here, can't rush these things, be thankful you've got a lovely partner and be gratefull you, your partner and family are in good health. Brisbane will be waiting for you when you get here

Remember; there's always someone worse off .......chin up

Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

ok i'm completely aware there are a lot of people worse off. i'm also aware of the grass is greener attitude. i apologise for picturing myself as ignorant and misguided and wish i could find a way to cancel intial thread.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

you sound like you are so eager to go but at the same time scared of going it alone? Not that I'm doubting your current relationship. I was with a guy for 7 years and one thing that disappointed me about being with him was that he was adamant he would never leave the family business and try living overseas. 4 months before our wedding I called it off, knowing I didn't want to be trapped in Manchester for the rest of my life. My first trip to Australia was supposed to be my honeymoon - I ended up going on my own! Some years later (at 30) I met my now hubby. Within 3 weeks we knew we would get married and I had told him enough about my 3 previous visits to Australia for him to suggest we go and live there for a couple of years. We have been married 2.5 years and have just had a baby, as well as having been to live in Oz (and back!!). My point is that some things are worth waiting for, and some of the greatest things in life evolve from the briefest, flimsiest foundations. Australia ain't going anywhere; you're restless with anticipation. Chill a bit. You haven't got long to go. Keep focusing on your end goal and you will get there. I've no suggestions on how to pass the time in the interim but a few months is nothing compared to the rest of your life. At least you are channelling your efforts into getting there unlike a lot of people who wish their life away but never actually end up doing anything about it. Good luck and hope you get good news soon
HP
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

ok i'm completely aware there are a lot of people worse off. i'm also aware of the grass is greener attitude. i apologise for picturing myself as ignorant and misguided and wish i could find a way to cancel intial thread.

No, no, don't cancel it - everyones experiences and feelings are different, and the more people read and realise this, the more prepared they are for life here. It also quite cathartic to write stuff like this and get it out of your system. You've already said you know there are people worse off - I think we're all allowed a bit of self-pity now and then, its just a question of perspective. We've all been through it in different ways on our various routes to Oz. Thats what this forums is partly for after all - to unburden yourself and get some therapy......!! Now, have some more wine!

Oh and thanks for your comments about the slating we gave that guy with the false rel'ship post - by the end of it some people were almost supporting him! CAn you believe it!
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

johnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: light at end of tunnel...or has it been turned off

Just been reading your post and the one response you have had so far.
Thought I would add my little bit, as my thoughts and feelings are different and I thought I would balance up the replies. No disrespect - every one has there own opinion etc, but I do not see how anyone going through this process can not hav certain expectations one of them being a better life than they have. Personally I would not put myself or my family through this, if it was not to expect a better life for me, hubby and kids. I know all this money is not going to buy a magic wand, it's to get a visa to emigrate. Of course life is a rollercoaster ( yes I know it's a song) and bad stuff happens, who knows what, when, how, but we have to have hopes, dreams, etc. And yes, if it means putting our lives on hold, then so be it. We are waiting, applied to DIMIA February,(feels like years) and this is certainly the most anxious time, for me. Been really feeling it for the last few weeks. I am like you, and can't wait to buy my one way ticket to Perth, not paradise I know, but boy it has to be better than this. If things don't work out with Oz, then that's just the way it was meant to be, and I will put my heart and soul into my family, and doing whats best.
Right now I believe that emigrating to Perth is right and better for us, so I will stay on this rollercoaster, and so should you - Good Luck
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Bit heavy , dont worry yesterday I recieved the worlds most boring man award because I dont find Australia the most stimulating place on earth, yet I live on, its half the fun

Cheer up and get down a pommie pub for me, I'd kill for a night on the piss.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you pollyanna johnkay and hiddenpaw. feel a bit better and definately indulging in another glass now. I know what needs doing and what should be done, and how lucky i am, just every now and then you feel very alone in what you want with your life. cheers everyone
Old Sep 7th 2004, 9:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thank you pollyanna johnkay and hiddenpaw. feel a bit better and definately indulging in another glass now. I know what needs doing and what should be done, and how lucky i am, just every now and then you feel very alone in what you want with your life. cheers everyone
We all feel alone in this process from time to time, both before and after the actual migration. keep your chin up, and workm towards your goal! Wish I could have a drink with you, but I'm off to work.......
Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:08 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

You didn't picture yourself as ignorant nor misguided. You pictured yourself as upset and unhappy. That is what this forum is for. Advice. You wont always get the answer you want though.

My intention was to cheer you up by demonstrating there is a light at the end of the tunnel....and that on the scale of things, your life is good ......and will get better.

Perhaps it's your inner sanctom that needs to change