Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Insurance buy in UK or Oz?

Life Insurance buy in UK or Oz?

Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Life Insurance buy in UK or Oz?

Hi

Both myself and OH have life insurance/death benefit with our jobs. Would it be best to buy a policy here (Bupa) have agreed that we could have a policy now and transfer once we emigrate. Or should be hang on and buy a policy in Oz? The broker mentioned we may have to wait over 12 months once we arrive in Oz to qualify for any life insurance is the correct? Thanks Nicky
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Insurance buy in UK or Oz?

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

Both myself and OH have life insurance/death benefit with our jobs. Would it be best to buy a policy here (Bupa) have agreed that we could have a policy now and transfer once we emigrate. Or should be hang on and buy a policy in Oz? The broker mentioned we may have to wait over 12 months once we arrive in Oz to qualify for any life insurance is the correct? Thanks Nicky
I get life insurance as part of my super, which started as soon as I started work.........and I gather its pretty standard, so not sure 12 months is correct. Any life insurance you buy in the UK becomes taxable in the UK if it needs to pay out as soon as you become non resident.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NikiL
I get life insurance as part of my super, which started as soon as I started work.........and I gather its pretty standard, so not sure 12 months is correct. Any life insurance you buy in the UK becomes taxable in the UK if it needs to pay out as soon as you become non resident.
Thank you - these brokers dont like to tell you about the taxable bit do they!
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any life insurance you buy in the UK becomes taxable in the UK if it needs to pay out as soon as you become non resident.

Unclear what is meant by this. Payouts from term life insurance are not treated as income, usually.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear what is meant by this. Payouts from term life insurance are not treated as income, usually.
Equally, you don't usually have life insurance in one country when you are resident in another.

My life insurance company in the UK told me before we moved that if we were non residents then any payout would be taxed at source.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Equally, you don't usually have life insurance in one country when you are resident in another.

My life insurance company in the UK told me before we moved that if we were non residents then any payout would be taxed at source.
Did they put that advice in writing with reference to the law? If no, it may be simply wrong.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all of your info. Ive just spoken to our broker today who has advised 100% that any payout would not be taxed if even we are resident in Oz and have a British policy.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:00 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

If you are moving to Aus as a permanent resident the 12 month period is not normally an issue?