Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VISA Grant for 175. Like to know some Info

VISA Grant for 175. Like to know some Info

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Emu_UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VISA Grant for 175. Like to know some Info

I have got my VISA Grant letter theis week for the sub class 175 including my wife, baby and mum.
My sequence are follows.

Online Application Lodge 16/03/2009
Medical Sent 05/05/2009
CO Assign 24/08/2009
PCC Uploaded 14/10/2009
VISA Grant 16/10/2009

I like to know some info.
1) Will my baby get Child benefits?
2) Will my mum (she is 63 years old) get any social security benefits?
3) My wife likes to study Masters in Business. Is it free to study for her?

Regards
Emu
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISA Grant for 175. Like to know some Info

Originally Posted by Emu_UK
I have got my VISA Grant letter theis week for the sub class 175 including my wife, baby and mum.
My sequence are follows.

Online Application Lodge 16/03/2009
Medical Sent 05/05/2009
CO Assign 24/08/2009
PCC Uploaded 14/10/2009
VISA Grant 16/10/2009

I like to know some info.
1) Will my baby get Child benefits?
No. You/your wife will get a payment based on your combined incomes. It's not much, and is meant to help with the cost of raising a child. www.centrelink.gov.au
2) Will my mum (she is 63 years old) get any social security benefits?
No. She didn't pay into social security here why would she get benefits? New PR are not eligible for any social security payments for 2 years. It's all clearly explained in the literature from DIAC. (booklet 6)
No. It's not free for anyone to study. She will pay domestic student fees, but no HECS/HELP loans are available to non-citizens

Regards
Emu
Answers in red
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Emu_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Answers in red
Thanks Dorothy.

Do have any idea how much cost for masters program for domestic student per year?

In the UK permanent residence / home students pays nearly 25% then the internation students.

They pay £3000 while international student pays £12000 per annum.

Regards
Emu
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy.

Do have any idea how much cost for masters program for domestic student per year?

In the UK permanent residence / home students pays nearly 25% then the internation students.

Regards
Emu
No idea. I would think it would depend on the university and what you plan to study. A masters in philosophy would cost less (I would assume) than a masters in veterinary medicine.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

tejas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dorothy.

Regards
Emu
if u want to study at MBS , cost for Full time MBA=54000$
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:15 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by tejas
if u want to study at MBS , cost for Full time MBA=54000$
Is that international or domestic fees?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Our son is doing a Master of Applied Science, a combined study and research based Masters. I believe his is about $13500 pa (domestic rate) but then he also has to find funding to assist with the research as well. As a non citizen then its correct you won't be entitled to HECS Help (Student fee loan). You also don't get any discount that applies to citizens if they choose to pay upfront, in fact you HAVE to pay each semester upfront! We found this expensive for the first 2 years of our sons BSc before he could take citizenship. But we knew the score before we came, so can't complain, it was our choice and he is rapped to have been able to study for his degrees in Marine Biology at JCU with the Great barrier Reef as his study playground!!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Glad-Sonra is an unknown quantity at this point

Regards
Emu

If it is a research based study, it should be free for Permanent Residents.

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Glad-Sonra
If it is a research based study, it should be free for Permanent Residents.

Cheers
Sorry, I don't understand where you get this idea from. To my knowledge there is NO WAY of doing a FREE Masters in Australia whether you are a citizen or PR, research based or otherwise.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I have 2 other sons either at or about to start uni courses!!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Sorry, I don't understand where you get this idea from. To my knowledge there is NO WAY of doing a FREE Masters in Australia whether you are a citizen or PR, research based or otherwise.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I have 2 other sons either at or about to start uni courses!!
Sure... I'd be glad to

We have 2 different kinds of Masters education here in Australia.

1- Master by Coursework ... the student goes to lectures etc... which is not free for anyone .

2- Master by Research... which the student conducts a research project in the university.. without any lectures and etc... and is free for local students ( PR and Citizens )

take a look at this link

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Science...ingScheme.aspx
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glad-Sonra
Sure... I'd be glad to

We have 2 different kinds of Masters education here in Australia.

1- Master by Coursework ... the student goes to lectures etc... which is not free for anyone .

2- Master by Research... which the student conducts a research project in the university.. without any lectures and etc... and is free for local students ( PR and Citizens )

take a look at this link

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Science...ingScheme.aspx
Thanks for this Glad sonra. I'm still working out the Aussie system. I know my son paid HECS for this year which is his "coursework" year and is doing his research project next, he's now been allocated a place by the uni on their research team and so I assume the uni will fund his research under this scheme. He was excited when he found out he'd been accepted onto it the other week. I expect that is why, as he had previously been trying to get funding for his reseach project independantly.

I get the impression that these places are quite competetive to get as the uni is only allocated so much money per year for its research grants. The Uni know him well as he did his BSc with them first, but he skipped the honours year to go straight onto his Masters so wouldn't have been eligable to apply for this at that stage. Do you know how easy it would be to get one of these places if you studied your first degree at a different university from the one offering the masters?
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tejas is an unknown quantity at this point

Both are same

Not major difference for internation and domestic
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Thanks for this Glad sonra. I'm still working out the Aussie system. I know my son paid HECS for this year which is his "coursework" year and is doing his research project next, he's now been allocated a place by the uni on their research team and so I assume the uni will fund his research under this scheme. He was excited when he found out he'd been accepted onto it the other week. I expect that is why, as he had previously been trying to get funding for his reseach project independantly.

I get the impression that these places are quite competetive to get as the uni is only allocated so much money per year for its research grants. The Uni know him well as he did his BSc with them first, but he skipped the honours year to go straight onto his Masters so wouldn't have been eligable to apply for this at that stage. Do you know how easy it would be to get one of these places if you studied your first degree at a different university from the one offering the masters?
First congratulations for your son admission into his desired degree.

As for your question, I am not really sure about this, as it should be different uni to uni. Some reputable universities may have stricter regulations for admitting students. It could also depend on GPA of the applicant, His/Her academic background ... etc.

As it is a case by case matter, I can not give you a good clue.

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

rishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to allrishadsky is a name known to all

Hi all,

I also heard masters by research in some Australia university is totally free & even one student can earn money through this research program.
I heard it from one of my senior brother who is now in Aus Uni as international student. But this benefit only for PR and citizen...

He also told me scholarship for some subjects is more than available for local student.

Plz clarify it more if anyone here knows more details...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:39 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by tejas
Both are same

Not major difference for internation and domestic
I think you will find there is a huge difference in fees between domestic and international.