Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Down Under Reversed !!!

Life Down Under Reversed !!!

Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice
Default Life Down Under Reversed !!!

I really don't know why I had this thought but here goes......

we have so many programmes over in the UK now about people making the move to live in another country and start a new life, not just Australia.

I just wondered if there are programmes in Oz about the Australians leaving to start a new life in the UK or somewhere in Europe. That would be really interesting.

Theresa
Old Apr 13th 2005, 12:19 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life Down Under Reversed !!!

I think I saw ' a place in greece' advertised here in Aus on TV and chuckled at that. I didnt get to watch i t- I suspect it was franchised/re-runs of our UK stuff.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:44 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hooperhome

we have so many programmes over in the UK now about people making the move to live in another country and start a new life, not just Australia.

I just wondered if there are programmes in Oz about the Australians leaving to start a new life in the UK or somewhere in Europe. That would be really interesting.

Theresa
That would be UN AUStralian.......you need to wonder at the power of advertising and self belief

SAD ... over here used to be See Australia and Die

.long long story and not one that people would listen to on this site cause they are all so tied up with getting here to the better life.....but......

get a grip...make sure your pension in the UK translates to a decent life in the future.

If you buy here mortgage free etctetc for today.....then make sure you still have a decent retirement plan cause the property will NOT make your retirement for the most part.

YOU are possibly all tied up with getting into the AUS lifestyle.......and when you do...enjoy and enjoy........and then make sure your pension and all you want for the future is planned ....including MONEY.....you have to pay for health care here (big time) and it gets bigger not less when you get older.

so all I am sayig is think

over 30 you have to pay more for private health care here....and we all need private medical here to pay for the basics...otherwise you go without.

cheers
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Theresa

Having worked in TV I had thought about pitching this one to a TV Company, however when you live here and think about the general aussie who has lived and worked here all their lives - the answer to your question is why would they want to go ?

Most UK people wish to emigrate to escape whatever they are not happy with (politics, job, housing, weather ect) - Most Australians are generally happy and only want to travel not emigrate and many Australians return 'home' after about a year of travelling !

Another point, is that in general, most australians are soo laid back, they wouldn't make an 'interesting' programme. They just see the positives and enjoy each day as it comes - kinda why we wanted to come here !
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:30 pm
wombat42

Theresa
What would you call a TV show about an Aussie family immigrating to the UK
" A place in the rain"
" A place in the cold"
" A place in the Fog"
"A place next to the heater"

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 13th 2005 at 11:37 pm.

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
What would you call a TV show about an Aussie family immigrating to the UK
" A place in the rain"
" A place in the cold"
" A place in the Fog"
"A place next to the heater"

"The Great Indoors"?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

SBS did a piece on Australian expats and the reasons for why they were staying abroad. Job opportunities and money were the main reasons. It is estimated that there are about 1 million Australian expats. The main destinations were NZ, UK and US.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Theresa

1 in 20 australians live overseas. Its not mrs and mrs barbeque tho, its the educated, highly skilled, famous, wealthy, and the USA and UK popular for the money I'd imagine. Its causing OZ quite a problem so many highly educated being lost to overseas.

The latest loss is Shane Warne.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"A Shady Life"?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:11 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

The latest loss is Shane Warne.

There's an exception to every rule...
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:16 am
wombat42

1 Its causing OZ quite a problem so many highly educated being lost to overseas. The latest loss is Shane Warne.
l would'nt exactly call Shane Warne highly educated. Anyway his no loss to OZ, the ageing lard arse is at the end of his career and is going out to pasture in the Uk where he knows they are so desperate for any players with the slightest amount of talent he can earn big bucks and there are plenty of British nurses he can send obsence text messages to, like the last time he was over there..

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 14th 2005 at 12:20 am.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:22 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Theresa
Theres no equivalent of the daily mail here to sow the seeds of discontent in Mr and Mrs Barbecue.....they are constantly told that Australia is the best country on earth, that this is the lucky country etc. Thus no incentive to fork out mega $ for extortionate air fairs to test the theory...its much easier to believe all the parochial media hype.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would'nt exactly call Shane Warne highly educated.
Sorry Wombat Pom humour moment there, I was being sarcastic.

You aussies never get that, all my sons have inherited the pom humour, when we visit the oz rellies in melby they just stare at us like we are a bunch of lunatics.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Theres no equivalent of the daily mail here to sow the seeds of discontent in Mr and Mrs Barbecue.....they are constantly told that Australia is the best country on earth, that this is the lucky country etc. Thus no incentive to fork out mega $ for extortionate air fairs to test the theory...its much easier to believe all the parochial media hype.

Plus Mr and Mrs Barbeque (I get the feeling I'll regret starting that one) dont have the currency advantage the british have, would the lure of sun sand sex and surf be enough if the currency rate was reversed and each pound bought 40c :scared:

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 14th 2005 at 12:55 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:09 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Plus Mr and Mrs Barbeque (I get the feeling I'll regret starting that one) dont have the currency advantage the british have, would the lure of sun sand sex and surf be enough if the currency rate was reversed and each pound bought 40c :scared:
Huh? Done decimal multiplication yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.