Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Life Down Under Reversed !!!

Life Down Under Reversed !!!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life Down Under Reversed !!!

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Theres no equivalent of the daily mail here to sow the seeds of discontent in Mr and Mrs Barbecue.....they are constantly told that Australia is the best country on earth, that this is the lucky country etc. Thus no incentive to fork out mega $ for extortionate air fairs to test the theory...its much easier to believe all the parochial media hype.
Maybe not in printed form but Channel 7 and 9 Today Tonight and a Current Affair journalism are a similiarly low standard. They both use fear, fat, boobs and immigration as ways of drumming up ratings.

I heard that Channel 7 went off air last night due to a power outage in Melbourne. Works manufacturing plant in SW Sydney was also knocked out by power yesterday morning.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:09 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l would'nt exactly call Shane Warne highly educated. Anyway his no loss to OZ, the ageing lard arse is at the end of his career and is going out to pasture in the Uk where he knows they are so desperate for any players with the slightest amount of talent he can earn big bucks and there are plenty of British nurses he can send obsence text messages to, like the last time he was over there..

You have the typical Aussie "once one of ours has fled the nest stab 'em in the back" mentality - it's quite amusing. My missus (an Aussie) does it too, as well as her family and our friends here. A lot of the aussies I know like shane warne now, but after he has been away for a while they will have the same attitude as your good self.

Greg Norman is another one such example. If I were to mention him to the missus' family it'd be comments such as "ah well he's a bloody yank now anyway - good riddence" etc. etc.

Rolf Harris - "The poms can have the bugger - we don't want him"

Pat Cash he won Wimbledon, but because he spends so little time in Australia/Australian media it's "we don't need the bastard - rafter is a better Aussie than him"

I'm sure there are plenty more such examples..!

NJJ
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:18 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ

I'm sure there are plenty more such examples..!

NJJ

Barry Humphries

Germain Greer

Robert Hughes
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Huh? Done decimal multiplication yet?
Even if I hadnt I can do simple math

Family takes UK pounds to OZ

Family takes OZ dollars to UK :scared:
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Even if I hadnt I can do simple math

Family takes UK pounds to OZ

Family takes OZ dollars to UK :scared:
Why not take $ to Aus and £ to UK? Makes hat shopping easier.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:54 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by jayr
Barry Humphries

Germain Greer

Robert Hughes
In the case of Germain Greer we really are glad she's left the country and not just pissed off with her because she prefers to live overseas.

Old Apr 14th 2005, 2:59 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jayr
Barry Humphries

Germain Greer

Robert Hughes
How many times can you get a laugh out of gladiolli tossing?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Why not take $ to Aus and £ to UK? Makes hat shopping easier.

Erm right, but what do you think of the original question, would as many poms emigrate to Australia if the currency exchange rate was not so heavily in their favour.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How many times can you get a laugh out of gladiolli tossing?

30 years it seems He/shes been doing shows since the 70's.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:11 am
Banned

Erm right, but what do you think of the original question, would as many poms emigrate to Australia if the currency exchange rate was not so heavily in their favour.
Huh? What has the exchange rate got to do with it? Poms have bank notes with smaller numbers on 'em?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

2.8 to 2.5 over the last year and they are still coming but with the higher prices here are worse rate there are many that thought they would be mortgage free who aren't.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:40 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
2.8 to 2.5 over the last year and they are still coming but with the higher prices here are worse rate there are many that thought they would be mortgage free who aren't.
I think what jadnrich was implying that if the excange rate were reversed, e.g. GBP1 = AUD0.40 and AUD1 = GBP2.50 would the rate of migration still be the same??

Last edited by NJJ; Apr 14th 2005 at 3:50 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hooperhome
I really don't know why I had this thought but here goes......

we have so many programmes over in the UK now about people making the move to live in another country and start a new life, not just Australia.

I just wondered if there are programmes in Oz about the Australians leaving to start a new life in the UK or somewhere in Europe. That would be really interesting.

Theresa
Their budget is small here, most so - called reality shows are either imported , or buy some rights to a remake into an Aussie version . Nothing is really aussie owned/ invented here. They never really come with anything new themselves. And no I don't think we have anything like this, I don't watch the Tv much here, not if I can help it.

off the subject a bit , but still on the same line - but I'll give you an example , near to our works is a supplier ( which is Chinese, imported in furniture from Asia) this company stocks a well know furniture store who calls it self "Aussie furniture", aussie owned etc etc coning the public into thinking they are buying aussie furniture) - I'm not going to give you the exact name of this store, although I should.

It's sort of brainwashing. Where people are making big bucks on this manipulating peoples minds - Aussie's are brainwashed into thinking aus is just the bestest ( I'm being general here by the way) - while some Brits are brainwashed into thinking everything is doom and gloom, and everything is the gov's fault and immigrants etc etc

Britain's media ( same as Aussie media plays on Aus is the bestest - so they buy into anything they think is all aussie ) on the other hand plays on people on the doom factor, a lot of people in the world think the grass is greener, or what am missing out on etc, no matter what country they are from - Britain has snapped into this market, and are making a fortune out of their reality shows. In reality it is load of bollux. They sell papers if it is doom and gloom - who want's to hear about the millions of happy, no crime people - but give them a doom and gloom , and who's sh*ging who, and robberies etc these stories sell - why? because half of them don't see it themselves. It's abit like reading a crime book.

It's like stupid stories on here that most people come from terraced house, and they can't get out because it's raining, or too cold etc etc - well they put themselves in that position, or they not willing to get themselves out of that area. and if they are too lazy to get out it's their prob, Rain doesn't stop you doing things, neither does cold - if you don't like living in a tiny terraced house in some packed part of the UK - there are plenty of other wide open spaces , and real coastlines to live within the UK. moan, moan , moan.

Some people are so very easily manipulated all over the world

It's about time , they cut out these reality shows - they are bore the T8ts off me here, survivor and the tons of other cr*p we have here in Aus . I hardly turn on the Tv set here in Aus as there's so much cr8ppy reality shows. So no thanks I wouldn't even watch one here which has Aussies living in Britain - it's all a load of keech. I prefer real life, not sitting on the settee watching realtily shows which do not give you the true picture of anything.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 14th 2005 at 4:13 am.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NJJ
I think what jadnrich was implying that if the excange rate were reversed, e.g. GBP1 = AUD0.40 and AUD1 = GBP0.40 would the rate of migration still be the same??
So they have £250,000 = $100,000 and $250,000 = £100,000?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:50 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

So they have £250,000 = $100,000 and $250,000 = £100,000?

no i didnt quite type that second conversion correctly did i?! ok i'll amend it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.