Reload this Page >

Licence for Self Employed in Perth

Licence for Self Employed in Perth

Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:18 am
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road
Default Licence for Self Employed in Perth

Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need a licence to be a Self Employed Wall & Floor Tiler in Perth.

I have seen a thread that says in Queensland you do but I can't find anything on the Search about Self Employed in Perth.

Also would love to hear from any Wall & Floor Tilers out there and how they are getting on.

Many thanks

Julia
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Licence for Self Employed in Perth

Originally Posted by Springo
Hi

Can anyone tell me if you need a licence to be a Self Employed Wall & Floor Tiler in Perth.

I have seen a thread that says in Queensland you do but I can't find anything on the Search about Self Employed in Perth.

Also would love to hear from any Wall & Floor Tilers out there and how they are getting on.

Many thanks

Julia
Can't answer your question but I'm a tiler and there's tooooo much work here at the moment. Trouble is when you work for yourself and take on work from builders they want it doing yesterday. We're so busy just trying to keep one builder going let alone the others. I could do with a couple of tilers but there's none around. Can't take on an apprentice for 2 yrs as per the rules here. Catch 22 there's a shortage of skilled workers and newbies like us can't train anyone. [we're not up to the aussie standards you see] Apparently it takes 2 years before you know how to overcharge, not turn up and be as unreliable and unproductive as your australian counterparts
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Many thanks

Julia
Have a look at "this website" and especially "this one".
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:11 am
Carramar Perth

Originally Posted by cresta57
Can't answer your question but I'm a tiler and there's tooooo much work here at the moment. Trouble is when you work for yourself and take on work from builders they want it doing yesterday. We're so busy just trying to keep one builder going let alone the others. I could do with a couple of tilers but there's none around. Can't take on an apprentice for 2 yrs as per the rules here. Catch 22 there's a shortage of skilled workers and newbies like us can't train anyone. [we're not up to the aussie standards you see] Apparently it takes 2 years before you know how to overcharge, not turn up and be as unreliable and unproductive as your australian counterparts
Cresta

At the moment our 17 year old son is working for my hubby as an apprentice tiler, are you saying that he wouldn't be able to carry that on in Oz, do states work differently to each other.

Also how do you find working in the heat. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Julia
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:17 am
Carramar Perth

Thanks for that SSinnige

Regards

Julia
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cresta

At the moment our 17 year old son is working for my hubby as an apprentice tiler, are you saying that he wouldn't be able to carry that on in Oz, do states work differently to each other.

Also how do you find working in the heat. Is this a problem?

Thanks

Julia
As far as I know Queensland is the only state that does not immediately recognise qualifications from U.K. They make you jump through hoops all to keep otherwise useless office bods in a job. My biggest bug bear with life here is that I seem to spend more time filling out forms and paying out cash to various government departments than I do working. I've posted before about the licensing rigmarole do a search.
There's probably a simlar process in WA but it can't be as bad as this bunch of bl**dy banana benders. To take on an apprentice I have to be an Australian citizen hence the 2 year wait. Bloody crazy I'm just trying to find the piece of paper to tell you the department that made this statement but there's mountains of the stuff.
You can work without the licence but only for another licensed tiler/builder and the pay is crap when they've taken their cut.
Good luck
Sean
PS the heats no problem most of the works inside and I have a big fan and drink approx 4/5 litres of water a day. All the "tradies" have a 5 litre water container it's essential. :lecture:
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:53 am
Carramar Perth

Thanks Sean for your reply.

I have spoken to a Plumber on a Perth site who was doing the tiling over there because there is such a shortage. Its amazing how the rates vary.

When we visited early this year, we were told by a Tile shop that they pay there tilers $18 per metre, the plumber says he earns about $1200 per bathroom which he can do in a week. (before Tax) He says there is a lot of bricking up and plastering (about 2 days worth) before you can actually tile.

Another lady said if you advertise in the paper most tiler charge about $35 a metre depending on how the tiles are laid ie Straight or diamond etc.

It is hard trying to work out what your annual income might be.

Is $50,000 per annum enough to keep a family of 5, I am not sure. We probably wont have a mortgage or maybe a small one if necessary.

Julia
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:09 pm

Thanks Sean for your reply.

I have spoken to a Plumber on a Perth site who was doing the tiling over there because there is such a shortage. Its amazing how the rates vary.

When we visited early this year, we were told by a Tile shop that they pay there tilers $18 per metre, the plumber says he earns about $1200 per bathroom which he can do in a week. (before Tax) He says there is a lot of bricking up and plastering (about 2 days worth) before you can actually tile.

Another lady said if you advertise in the paper most tiler charge about $35 a metre depending on how the tiles are laid ie Straight or diamond etc.

It is hard trying to work out what your annual income might be.

Is $50,000 per annum enough to keep a family of 5, I am not sure. We probably wont have a mortgage or maybe a small one if necessary.

Julia
Prices sound about right for the subbies, don't know about wages work $18 sounds pitifully low, casual bar work cash in hand pays $15 bucks an hour at my local We're registered for GST as our turnover is more than the threshhold and the builders prefer us to be GST registered. Renovation work does pay more than new build but like your plumber says there's a lot of prep work needed. I try and stay clear of old bathrooms as there was loads of asbestos used here. Lots of things are different though it's just a case of getting used to new ways.
50k to keep a family? You can keep mine for half that and I'll throw in a set of grandparents free
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:26 pm
Carramar Perth

50k to keep a family? You can keep mine for half that and I'll throw in a set of grandparents free [/QUOTE]

LOL

Julia