Reload this Page >

A levels in Brisbane

A levels in Brisbane

Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

ginni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A levels in Brisbane

HELP

Having a few problems with daughter in that she says she can't possibly go to Australia this July because she has to finish her A levels here. She will have taken her AS levels by the time she goes (the reason why we are not going until then). Unfortunately timing is big problem in our family due to hubby's age and 2 others will be starting GCE options this september so really wanted to get them into system before that. Other son will have finished his gce July and wants to go to college - and other one is on gap year - yes we have rather a lot!.

She is someone who hates change but after the change has happened she is always very happy. Obviously we need to try and assure her as much as possible and talk it through, which we are doing.

We had assumed she would join a sixth form or college and start similar course or at least something which would get her into university. As she doesn't like change she is saying that she wants to carry on with the exact A levels she is doing here. (Law/Psychology/English) But I am a bit confused re the curriculum. Are they similar to uk? Can you actually take A levels anywhere?

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing??? But am working at same time - trying to do several things at once!!!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:47 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

sounds like a real problem! your daughter won't be able to A-levels in school/college over there. The curriculum is HSC's which is their equivalent and, with good grades, will allow candidates entry to university.

one option would be for your daughter to study her A-levels by correspondence from Australia. this is possible although will require quite a lot of discipline. there are a fair number of candidates around the world who do this each year either because they do not want to do whatever exams are available in their country of residence, or they are halfway through an A-level course when they move.

personally, i would think about getting her into HSC route as it will be mor accepted in the UK, covers a wide range of subjects so her options will be wider and in any case, the UK gov't are overhauling the A-level system as it is too narrow and doesn't give a broad enough grounding for young adults.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

ginni is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that FD. Food for thought. Hadn't thought about carrying on with A levels from home! I agree about HSC course for entry - but its just a matter of persuading her!
Cheers!