Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AS Levels -> Aussie Equivalent

AS Levels -> Aussie Equivalent

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 6:51 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AS Levels -> Aussie Equivalent

Okay, I wanted to ask I am 17 and currently doing 3 AS Levels... I wanted to know what 3 A's at AS Level will equate to in OP points as I wanted to know is it worth my while completing this year at my school and getting those 3 AS Levels (A's hopefully all being well of 2 As and a B) or if I should leave and the family get over there and me get into school asap. Any help on this subject is much appreciated... please include info that isnt really answering ym question but helping me out with schools and info about them, the years etc.......

Thanking you
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AS Levels -> Aussie Equivalent

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Okay, I wanted to ask I am 17 and currently doing 3 AS Levels... I wanted to know what 3 A's at AS Level will equate to in OP points as I wanted to know is it worth my while completing this year at my school and getting those 3 AS Levels (A's hopefully all being well of 2 As and a B) or if I should leave and the family get over there and me get into school asap. Any help on this subject is much appreciated... please include info that isnt really answering ym question but helping me out with schools and info about them, the years etc.......

Thanking you
hi, i would imagine they are equivalent to completing year 11 in 0Z as year 10 seems to be the equivalent to GCSE level and year 12 the equivalent to A level. it all depends on what you want to do really. my son is also 17 and didn't want to start at college here and finish half way through his courses so he has decided to go to work here until we leave and go to college when we get to OZ. i would email the education authority of the state you are going to in OZ and see what your AS levels will be awarded there. that way you will be able to make an informed choice and know where you stand. hope that helps. selina. GOOD LUCK!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by selina
hi, i would imagine they are equivalent to completing year 11 in 0Z as year 10 seems to be the equivalent to GCSE level and year 12 the equivalent to A level. it all depends on what you want to do really. my son is also 17 and didn't want to start at college here and finish half way through his courses so he has decided to go to work here until we leave and go to college when we get to OZ. i would email the education authority of the state you are going to in OZ and see what your AS levels will be awarded there. that way you will be able to make an informed choice and know where you stand. hope that helps. selina. GOOD LUCK!
cheers, will do... I was also thinking of working until we leave...

Still accepting advice though
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

To be able to get an OP score you have to do the last 2 years in school, so your AS levels will not count. You can do a diploma at college after year 12 if you feel you don't want to go back to school and it is an 18mth course which then if you go to uni equates to about 2/3 of your first year.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by mand8002
To be able to get an OP score you have to do the last 2 years in school, so your AS levels will not count. You can do a diploma at college after year 12 if you feel you don't want to go back to school and it is an 18mth course which then if you go to uni equates to about 2/3 of your first year.
muahahaha if thats true then woohoooo :P thanks very mcuh can anyone else back this up as being super correct so I can show my parents? thanks again for the reply just what I wanted to hear
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanking you

As others have noted, AS Levels don't really equate to A-Levels, which Australian universities will be more familiar with. With AS only, you might have to top up with an Australian year 12 qualification, and this could be harder than staying on to do A-Levels.

Perhaps talk to the Australian university that interests you. You could try one or two of the Go8 universities - http://www.go8.edu.au

Another thing you can check out - is it possible to sit for A-Levels while living in Australia? You might have to go to somewhere like Singapore to do the exams, but worth a thought.

One final point. You mentioned working in the UK - that's a seriously bad idea until you have validated your visa. If you were to turn 18 before visa grant, and you left education to work, your visa could well be refused even if the rest of the family were accepted. This has happened to others.

Jeremy
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
As others have noted, AS Levels don't really equate to A-Levels, which Australian universities will be more familiar with. With AS only, you might have to top up with an Australian year 12 qualification, and this could be harder than staying on to do A-Levels.

Perhaps talk to the Australian university that interests you. You could try one or two of the Go8 universities - http://www.go8.edu.au

Another thing you can check out - is it possible to sit for A-Levels while living in Australia? You might have to go to somewhere like Singapore to do the exams, but worth a thought.

One final point. You mentioned working in the UK - that's a seriously bad idea until you have validated your visa. If you were to turn 18 before visa grant, and you left education to work, your visa could well be refused even if the rest of the family were accepted. This has happened to others.

Jeremy
Im not working in the UK I am in full time education and have my visa validated but perhaps you where talking to the person that replied to my first post thanks for the reply though all information is good in helping me contact people and know what to ask.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Dear Scotty,

Perhaps all is not lost down the AS route.

Firstly there are schools that do offer the International GCSE (quite a few in NZ for instance) and Int. A Levels and there should be some considerable cross pollination between the two - although the Int. A Level isn't modular so there isn't an AS as such.

Secondly I have a former pupil who runs a company that helps send students to Australia from the UK - StudyOptions - and there isn't a problem with the AS A2 route for those students.

Sitting the exams is the easy bit - finding a place to study them might be harder

So I'm clearly with your parents on this one - sorry!

Bezza
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Dear Scotty,

Perhaps all is not lost down the AS route.

Firstly there are schools that do offer the International GCSE (quite a few in NZ for instance) and Int. A Levels and there should be some considerable cross pollination between the two - although the Int. A Level isn't modular so there isn't an AS as such.

Secondly I have a former pupil who runs a company that helps send students to Australia from the UK - StudyOptions - and there isn't a problem with the AS A2 route for those students.

Sitting the exams is the easy bit - finding a place to study them might be harder

So I'm clearly with your parents on this one - sorry!

Bezza
np Im looking the most sensible option also
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

np Im looking the most sensible option also

Hi,
I think once you're over here all these things will probably fall into place a lot better, the things about English qualifications will not have the same significance if like so many young people from the UK you decide you want to stay...we know lots of teens and kids who absolutely love it here and they say (more often than any adults!) they don't want to go back to the UK. They love the outdoor lifestyle, theres so much more to do on the GC, and they wouldn't go back if you paid them (ha,ha!!) Some may later decide to travel/ work in the UK but if you get a degree or skill and save some money whats to stop you going back later, its often your work experience or possibly a degree that counts for more than As's and GCSEs

We arrived on the Gold Coast Dec 05 and our 3 children started to school 2 weeks ago, our oldest, who is just 16 has completely missed his GCSEs here and gone straight onto the equivalent of A levels, year 11 ...and no one here cares about his lack of GCSEs, he's been told so long as he gets his yr 11 and 12 and gets an OP he should get into uni and unis all over the world would be able to offer uni entance based on his OP. The main question is are you likely to want to go back later but most young people on the GC would not swap it here for the Uk.

There are a lot more things for young people here than in the UK, lots more apprenticeships, part time jobs etc, and schools seem to do as much work but its more fun according to my kids, you might be able to get a degree here and have a better time if thats the way you want to go.

Best wishes,

Sherie
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
Hi,
I think once you're over here all these things will probably fall into place a lot better, the things about English qualifications will not have the same significance if like so many young people from the UK you decide you want to stay...we know lots of teens and kids who absolutely love it here and they say (more often than any adults!) they don't want to go back to the UK. They love the outdoor lifestyle, theres so much more to do on the GC, and they wouldn't go back if you paid them (ha,ha!!) Some may later decide to travel/ work in the UK but if you get a degree or skill and save some money whats to stop you going back later, its often your work experience or possibly a degree that counts for more than As's and GCSEs

We arrived on the Gold Coast Dec 05 and our 3 children started to school 2 weeks ago, our oldest, who is just 16 has completely missed his GCSEs here and gone straight onto the equivalent of A levels, year 11 ...and no one here cares about his lack of GCSEs, he's been told so long as he gets his yr 11 and 12 and gets an OP he should get into uni and unis all over the world would be able to offer uni entance based on his OP. The main question is are you likely to want to go back later but most young people on the GC would not swap it here for the Uk.

There are a lot more things for young people here than in the UK, lots more apprenticeships, part time jobs etc, and schools seem to do as much work but its more fun according to my kids, you might be able to get a degree here and have a better time if thats the way you want to go.

Best wishes,

Sherie
Thanks for the great reply