Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !

Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !

Old May 10th 2004, 8:23 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !

Okay, thought you might all find this funny, what with the furore over the price of lettuce in AUS.

There's a daily free rag that is handed out in the main London rail stations every morning, it's called "Metro".

The attached article caught my eye in this morning's edition
Attached Thumbnails Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !-lettuce.gif  
Old May 10th 2004, 8:31 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Okay, thought you might all find this funny, what with the furore over the price of lettuce in AUS.

There's a daily free rag that is handed out in the main London rail stations every morning, it's called "Metro".

The attached article caught my eye in this morning's edition

So let me get this right... with everything that's going on in the middle east, the recent train crash in Asia, the explosion that killed the PM in Chechnya & the convicted murderer in South Africa who's escaped from jail for a second time, someone thought lettuce was a hot topic to write about????? I'm glad they did, first bit of 'news' I've read all day to make me smile
Old May 10th 2004, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Got to get your priorities right!!
Old May 10th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

As you can tell bored beyond belief but these prices were in the Mail this Sunday as i know we all thrive on prices of lettace in OZ so now you can see our predicited summer prices for salad!!

Last Year

Watercress £1.25-100g
£1.53
Tomatoes £0.72/ lb
£0.79/ lb
Cucumber £0.59 each
£0.91 each
Spring Onions £0.48 bunch
Same
Iceberg Lettace £0.65 each
£1.57each
Radish £1.02/ lb
£1.89/ lb
Celery £1.27/ lb
£1.05/ lb

Prices underneath are the predicted prices for summer 2004

footie chick x

Last edited by footie chick; May 10th 2004 at 9:19 pm.
Old May 10th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Orright
I obviously missed something, though read all these corny comments with amusement!
Why are you lot all obsessed with lettuce?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How did it all start... and why?
Old May 10th 2004, 10:40 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Orright
I obviously missed something, though read all these corny comments with amusement!
Why are you lot all obsessed with lettuce?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! How did it all start... and why?

I fear I must take at least some blame for previously raising the fluctuating price of Oz lettuces (lettuci?). If they reach 1.57 in the UK that will be consistent with the $3.99 we were paying here until recently. Prices are now half that.

Anyone fancy an iceberg? I see an export business looming...
Old May 10th 2004, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jasper pentop
Orright
Thats a good question, how did it start ?

Not sure if you are aware how far this has gone, but if you do a google search for "price of lettuce" you will find this site

I think it keeps getting raised, as it is sure to bring a smile to our faces every time

Old May 10th 2004, 11:11 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I believe this was the inaugaral lettuce price thread, now over a year old!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=iceberg
Old May 10th 2004, 11:33 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lettuce Price Rise Crisis !

Originally posted by mlbonner

So let me get this right... with everything that's going on in the middle east, the recent train crash in Asia, the explosion that killed the PM in Chechnya & the convicted murderer in South Africa who's escaped from jail for a second time, someone thought lettuce was a hot topic to write about????? I'm glad they did, first bit of 'news' I've read all day to make me smile

ML, you're in for such a shock mate!
Who else get news that goes something like this.......

Today the football players alledged of.......

Also tonight *insert name of some aussie you've never heard of* died, gave blood, yawned etc

Mr Mc fees dog had to visit the vets for an in "growen" toe nail...

And in oither news, someone in Israel was killed, may cause a few probs. Oh and somewhere in the middle east was bomed!!!

MIDDLE EAST??? thought that was all over

PM in chechneya, which PM????
Old May 10th 2004, 11:37 pm
Karma Comedian

...and the insightful journalistic investigations into how you can get bread cheap from Woolies if you buy it near closing time...
Old May 11th 2004, 4:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr
I fear I must take at least some blame for previously raising the fluctuating price of Oz lettuces (lettuci?). If they reach 1.57 in the UK that will be consistent with the $3.99 we were paying here until recently. Prices are now half that.

Anyone fancy an iceberg? I see an export business looming...
The subject of lettuce is very important!

With regard to prices last week:
Wednesday evening. ( or was it thursday. mid week anyway) . I went into my Woolworths, prepared to do war... lo and behold the lettuce was $1.25... but only 4 were left... so I made a mad dash to grab one before any old dears could swipe the remaining ones.

over the weekend I again called into the supermarket to get some moggy food for the fat g*ts ( they are fat.. one of them is like bag puss) , so I decided to have a look at the lettuce again , guess what , they have put them up to $1.90 something... jeeze , first they lower the price, then they raise the price again - I will be writing to my local MP!.. actually there are "one nation" representatives in the pine ( I keep getting one nation booklets in my letter box ).. wonder if they could help me.. as the movement of lettuce prices is very un Australian

Last edited by Ceri; May 11th 2004 at 5:04 am.
Old May 11th 2004, 6:11 am
Karma Comedian

Like petrol prices, lettuce prices are a barometer of the economy at a micro level. Were I an economist, and more importantly could I be arsed, there'd be a great thesis to write on this subject.
Old May 13th 2004, 3:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Besides all that, it's also used in famous quotations... ahh the humble lettuce.. you just can't get away from it.

"When you plant lettuce, if it does not grow well, you don't blame the lettuce. You look for reasons it is not doing well. It may need fertilizer, or more water, or less sun. You never blame the lettuce.
Yet if we have problems with our friends or our family, we blame the other person. But if we know how to take care of them, they will grow well, like the lettuce. Blaming has no positive effect at all, nor does trying to persuade using reason and argument.
That is my experience.If you understand, and you show that you understand, you can love, and the situation will change."

(Thich Nhat Hahn .. a monk from vietnam, this his him http://www.seaox.com/thich.html .. see even monks know the value of lettuce )

Cheers
Old May 13th 2004, 5:01 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You lettuce lot could save a bunch if you used cabbage in your salads instead.

A lot better value per kilo, still green and just as nutritious.
Old May 13th 2004, 5:13 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You lettuce lot could save a bunch if you used cabbage in your salads instead.

A lot better value per kilo, still green and just as nutritious.

The cabbage I buy is purple colour .. and it's more expensive than the lettuce.

price of cabbage is disgusting.. I only buy it for coleslaw, can't stand cooked vegetables... only raw.

sh*te you'll be having us looking at cabbage prices next ( they are another thing that's risen in price)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.