Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lets Shut Them all up!

View Poll Results: Have you been to Aus/ NZ?
Been before
49.18%
lived there previously
22.95%
living there now onshore application
7.38%
never been there
19.67%
never left the UK
0.82%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Lets Shut Them all up!

Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
.....Perhaps I am too normal to be on this forum........
Quite the charmer eh?? (Just teasing, maxpaxx )

What I don't get is why people get so wound up over silly posts.

The quality of some the 'negative' posts (ie 'you'll hate it in Aus') is disappointing and they really don't warrant a reply (no prizes from guessing who from).

I say 'disappointing' because I believe a warts-an-all view is essential preparation for making a move like this.

Some of these 'you'll hate it in Aus' posts don't provide that balance (that is so often talked about on here) because they're camouflaged in so much drivel (such as extrapolating report data to reach bizarre conclusions).

As a result, the point is lost.

What this forum needs is quality negativity! :lecture:

To help explain my point I'll use an example from recent posts - the high price of dental treatment in Australia. Those posts were a good example of sharing with the forum a downside to living in Australia. A good discussion followed, advice was shared and I know I benefitted from it.

As for Kong et al ........ ahem ...'Next post'
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:27 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Well, we've never been, but we have our best friends over there and I'm not saying we like everything that they like, but we are similar minded, otherwise they wouldn't be our best friends would they. Also, we post on here for advice and friendship for when we get to Oz. Settling in a new country is hard enough. If we are lucky enough to meet a few friends along the way, then it will all have been worth it.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 7:53 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by young_lad
Quite the charmer eh?? (Just teasing, maxpaxx )

What I don't get is why people get so wound up over silly posts.

The quality of some the 'negative' posts (ie 'you'll hate it in Aus') is disappointing and they really don't warrant a reply (no prizes from guessing who from).

I say 'disappointing' because I believe a warts-an-all view is essential preparation for making a move like this.

Some of these 'you'll hate it in Aus' posts don't provide that balance (that is so often talked about on here) because they're camouflaged in so much drivel (such as extrapolating report data to reach bizarre conclusions).

As a result, the point is lost.

What this forum needs is quality negativity! :lecture:

To help explain my point I'll use an example from recent posts - the high price of dental treatment in Australia. Those posts were a good example of sharing with the forum a downside to living in Australia. A good discussion followed, advice was shared and I know I benefitted from it.

As for Kong et al ........ ahem ...'Next post'

Well quite, isn't that exactly what I have been saying a million trillion times?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:06 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

It strikes me that what this thread has brought out of the woodwork is peoples paranoia!

I am not having a go at people who live in Aus, people who have never been, people who post funny threads, just trolls.

..funny that most replies actually like the troll threads - not what I would have expected

Most of you have made it clear that the only person who you would like to shut up around here is me! Point taken!

Anyway nice to see that over 70% of us have been before - personally I don't think that's a useless piece of info.

There is nothing wrong with wanting this to be a more pleasant constructive place.

Anyway think I've taken far too much abuse on this thread now - give me a break!

Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
It strikes me that what this thread has brought out of the woodwork is peoples paranoia!

I am not having a go at people who live in Aus, people who have never been, people who post funny threads, just trolls.

..funny that most replies actually like the troll threads - not what I would have expected

Most of you have made it clear that the only person who you would like to shut up around here is me! Point taken!

Anyway nice to see that over 70% of us have been before - personally I don't think that's a useless piece of info.

There is nothing wrong with wanting this to be a more pleasant constructive place.

Anyway think I've taken far too much abuse on this thread now - give me a break!

Troll food is a reply to a troll thread. A troll banquet is a thread like this. Don't feed the trolls.