Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Lets get together

Lets get together

Old May 11th 2004, 9:40 pm

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lets get together

After reading many of the latest threads, I have realised quite a few people live around the Robina area on the Gold Coast. It would be great if we could plan a get-together or something. All Brits together and all that!! Anyone interested, let me know. Afterall, we are all in the same boat together, and most of us have families. Look at it as a way of meeting new friends. Life is alot nicer when you have friends to call upon. We have all left good mates back home, lets try and make some new ones here
Old May 13th 2004, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Meets are a fab idea Robert, I've made some brilliant friends that way. I'll give you a tip though (from one whos tried this in the past!)- post it again with something like "Gold Coast Meet?" as the title, - that way people are more likely to spot it. Robina isn't too far from Brissie after all, could be a good day out......
Old May 14th 2004, 12:34 am

Thanks for the tip, Pollyanna. I will try that. I will keep you posted bout how its going, and maybe we could all meet up sometime. Have a good day Rob and Louisa
Old May 14th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hiya Rob & Louisa
We are coming to the Gold Coast in September. We have been twice before for holidays and liked it. We are hoping to start up our own business.

What do you do? There are loads of peeps on here hat are heading for the Gold Coast in the next few months.

See ya
Old May 14th 2004, 8:25 am

What sort of business will you be doing? My husband is a plumber and I am hoping to go back into travel soon. We have looked at loads of businesses to buy, and althought they seem ok at the time, when you look deeper into them, they are not as good as first thought. If you re looking to buy something here or start your own business up, make sure that you really look into it Because the Australian`s are really funny to do business with and extremely poor. It is a very hard place to make any money. if you know anyone who has made money, please let us know.
Old May 14th 2004, 8:27 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I'll be home in September, meaning I'll be near the Gold Coast about then. It'd be swell to catch up with some of you all.
Old May 14th 2004, 8:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by robertd
It is a very hard place to make any money. if you know anyone who has made money, please let us know.
Head over to the Moving back to the UK forum & ask dotty, shes always willing to tell people she made shedloads of money here .
Old May 14th 2004, 8:44 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Make it after the 21st of August and i'll be there!

all the best plum
Old May 14th 2004, 8:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by robertd
If you re looking to buy something here or start your own business up, make sure that you really look into it Because the Australian`s are really funny to do business with and extremely poor. It is a very hard place to make any money. if you know anyone who has made money, please let us know.
It can be done, and it's not that difficult, you just have to get used to the Australian way and the Australian Rules.
There are also many who are not poor and even the "poor" ones can still afford to buy the odd fishing boat to enjoy their leisure time

Old May 14th 2004, 8:56 am

I agree with you but all the rules and regs make it extremely hard and most Aussie`s aren`t geared up to want to have their own businesses. All they want to do is go fishing or surfing. Good luck to them. Regards Rob and Louisa
Old May 14th 2004, 9:41 am
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe they've got it right ........work to live....not live to work!!!!

all the best plum
Old May 14th 2004, 10:03 am

Unfortunately after being geared up to make money, it is extremely hard not to have that frame of mind, because without money you can`t do a thing, even in Australia. Dont get me wrong, Australia is absolutely fantastic but all the rules and regs are unbeleivabley fustrating. When you come over, you can see for yourself. No one would believe back home just what it is like here, you only find it out when you are living here. We don`t want to return to the UK but if you can`t put food on the table for your family, what is the point of being here. Hopefully things will work out and we can stay in this beautiful part of the world. Regards Rob and Louisa
Old May 14th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Rob,

a meet sometimes sounds a pretty good idea. I am up the road a bit from you in Helensvale.

This thread has also digressed a bit into setting up businesses. I am currently looking into leasing a small office/industrial unit for a work project. Anyone come across any half decent commercial letting agents on the gold coast?
Old May 14th 2004, 11:20 am

Dear Trevglas,
I am currently working at Coomera near Dream World and there are some lovely offices to lease up there. I don`t know the name of the agent, but I will find out on Mon and let you know. Coomera isnt far from Helensvale. Regards Rob
Old May 14th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Thanks Rob