Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK - Who HAS to know?!!

Originally posted by Sharpy67
For those that have already gone to Oz, do you have to officially tell anybody that you leaving (tax office?).....or do you (/can you)just bugger off?
regards
Nick
Nick,
You better tell the missus so she can forward your mail and ironing.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:37 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

What a load of sh*te. Nobody needs to know, just b*gger off and nobody cares. After a couple of postal tries, bank, tax office, everybody will give up trying and you're Mr Clean.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Muddywaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it is a good idea to let your parents know that you are leaving the country
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We lived at our last address for nearly 4yrs and were still getting mail for the last occuppiers ... it was a real pain ... good job for them that I was honest though and just sent it back to sender.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sky
We lived at our last address for nearly 4yrs and were still getting mail for the last occuppiers ... it was a real pain ... good job for them that I was honest though and just sent it back to sender.

Still getting their mail after 4 years of returning to sender??!!:scared: We moved here in October, and have mail for the previous 6 occupants and have been duly returning to sender. Perhaps I need to put an additional message on the returned mail telling the sender not to send here again. Actually, also started getting mail for a new person the other day too. Somebody had obviously just put the wrong house number down on an online holiday website, so we get lots of holiday brochures for him now. Very nice but can't afford to go on holiday!

Mummy
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
What a load of sh*te. Nobody needs to know, just b*gger off and nobody cares. After a couple of postal tries, bank, tax office, everybody will give up trying and you're Mr Clean.
And then what happens when you don't fill in your personal tax returns each year ? A nice lil bill / piece of trouble if you ever come back ?

I've got a house in the UK, if I tell the IR that I am buggering off, they will slap me with CGT on any interest gained whilst I'm away & tax me on any rental income, sod that, rent the house out, dont tell IR anything, thats what I say, how they gonna catch me, all Council Tax docs etc.. still have my name on them :-)

I'm planning on filling in my UK tax returns on line, no income to declare.. I'm just off on a nice long holiday thank you mr tax man...
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sydneybound
And then what happens when you don't fill in your personal tax returns each year ? A nice lil bill / piece of trouble if you ever come back ?

I've got a house in the UK, if I tell the IR that I am buggering off, they will slap me with CGT on any interest gained whilst I'm away & tax me on any rental income, sod that, rent the house out, dont tell IR anything, thats what I say, how they gonna catch me, all Council Tax docs etc.. still have my name on them :-)

I'm planning on filling in my UK tax returns on line, no income to declare.. I'm just off on a nice long holiday thank you mr tax man...
Wasn't suggesting you don't fill in IR tax return, if applicable.

You seem more than a bit confused as regards UK CGT as it affects non-residents, though.

Do you need some advice??? :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Wasn't suggesting you don't fill in IR tax return, if applicable.

You seem more than a bit confused as regards UK CGT as it affects non-residents, though.

Do you need some advice??? :lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
I don't plan on being a non-resident in the eyes of the UK IR, thats the point I'm making.... Or am I missing something ?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mummy
Still getting their mail after 4 years of returning to sender??!!:scared: We moved here in October, and have mail for the previous 6 occupants and have been duly returning to sender. Perhaps I need to put an additional message on the returned mail telling the sender not to send here again. Actually, also started getting mail for a new person the other day too. Somebody had obviously just put the wrong house number down on an online holiday website, so we get lots of holiday brochures for him now. Very nice but can't afford to go on holiday!

Mummy
Yes our house was rented out by the last owner and we had loads of letters for different people, it is mainly the automated letters from big companies that never stop coming no matter how many times you tell them and lots of junk mail so I just started to bin them in the end